X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • r-carpenter
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Aug 2008

Re: Sony buyout project

Sidi, if you have a couple of extra drivers then pleas send them. I have exact number to make 2 more pairs of arrays. If you don't, then I'll send a pair out to Erin and if they get destroyed, oh well, I'll take the enormous loss and morn them for a week or so. ))))))))
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

• Sidi
      • Dec 2011

I have 100 in my basement. I can spare 4 :D
      if Erin tosses me an address I'll ship them out after new years (I'm on vacation right now).

Business address preferred.

Comment

• nottaway
        Been Around Awhile
        • May 2010

Is it too early for a crossover schematic? I know your still listening so disreguard if not an oversight.

Comment

• r-carpenter
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by nottaway
          Is it too early for a crossover schematic? I know your still listening so disreguard if not an oversight.
          I'll post it tomorrow. Left the paper with values at work.

Comment

• Starkiller4299
            Midrange Member
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Sidi
            I have 100 in my basement.
            IhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIh ateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhat eyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyou

:p

Comment

• philiparcario
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by r-carpenter
              I'll post it tomorrow. Left the paper with values at work.
              I will be there around 10-11 am. I will bring cookies for the wife. Looking forward to this.

Comment

• r-carpenter
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Aug 2008

PE had 12000 of the Sony units. Sold out in a month or so?
                Thanks Phil, see you tomorrow. Bring couple of CDs with familiar music.
                R.

Comment

• Sidi
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Starkiller4299
                  IhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIh ateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhat eyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyouIhateyou
                  :p
                  Well they were only $0.69
                  Added a couple tweeters I was interested in and I gots me a free shipping.

And If I don't like to wait I can drive the 40 minutes it takes me to get there... :D

Comment

• nottaway
                    Been Around Awhile
                    • May 2010

Originally posted by r-carpenter
                    PE had 12000 of the Sony units. Sold out in a month or so?
                    Thanks Phil, see you tomorrow. Bring couple of CDs with familiar music.
                    R.
                    Thats a lot of boom-boxes, or in our case line arrays!:D

Comment

• r-carpenter
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Aug 2008

HoHoHo!
                      Notch option.
                      L13-2.5mh C12-80mfd
                      distortion and FR was taken at 1.8v about meter an a half away from the speaker at the tweeter level.
                      Small correction. L2 is actually 1.2mH not 1.285
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by r-carpenter; 12-30-2011, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• Starkiller4299
                        Midrange Member
                        • Aug 2010

Pretty good for in room; +/-4dB or so . Looks like there might be a bit of room for improvement, but I'd say you're most of the way there already .

Comment

• Mayhem13
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Jun 2008

It's very difficult to accurately measure an array so from where I'm sitting, you done good"

Comment

• philiparcario
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Aug 2007

I went to romans shop today. Two other board member's roman and myself. Plus two others did a long listen to the array's.

They are nice speakers each one is about 60 bucks in parts.

the bad first

A) bass rolls off around 110hz > to be expected
                            B) they are sensitive to room placement sit a few inches left sound stage shifts left sit a few inches to the right sound stage shifts right.

The good they sound big really big when you close your eyes it sounds as if the musicians are in the club and you are having a drink listening to them. Roman put an intentional BBC dip in the midrange around 2k. Why the cone has a distortion issue around 2k that needs some muting. What does this do it helps and song that is forward or bright. We played the 2011 diy cd and Paul McCartney is doing a beatles song sounds prefect really nice, but if anyone at the diy event remembers the song Pauls voice was forward on every speaker. Still that song was really nice.. I played " radar love " over the system> I have heard the song 1000 times in the seventies driving around NYC with a bunch of fellow Pot Heads on WNEW fm. I have also heard the song in a few homes over the years. First off on the song You hear a male singing softly in the background giving the band a cue to start recording never heard that until today. Kind of reminded me of the nice head phone setup i used senns 600's

This caught my attention . They have a lot of detail. We also listened to romans killer filler line array with more then 5000 in parts . They are remarkable speakers. Still needs some tweaking with the bassline.

Back to the sonys They are the best set of speakers for 60 each in parts in many ways. I also listened to them from further away 13 or 15 feet rather then 8 or 9 . Sound even better as imaging became less of an issue. I have a few photos of them i can post later, but if you have these drivers build something like this design you will like it.

Comment

• Mayhem13
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Jun 2008

Thanx for the update Phil. I suspected the nearfield image would be narrow with only one tweeter but once the line transfers to farfield......look out! Now the only remaining 'issue' i would expect would be the rapid decline in HF output the farther you move away vs the rest of the array......if Jim's white paper is accurate.

Roman.....i gotta get over there and give these a listen. Most remarkable for $60 worth of drivers........:D

Comment

• Leroy R
                                Seasoned Veteran
                                • Mar 2010

I was one of the others there today. My first impression was that the mids were a little muted or flat, not exactly sure what the correct description should be. I was surprised at how low they seemed to go considering they roll off at 110Hz. I noticed the shift in image, but to me it didn't seem like an in your face shift, it was more subtle. When he added his subs to fill in the low end, for some reason the mids no longer seemed as muted to me. At approx. $150/pr. to build these, they were simply amazing. I can't wait to get started building mine. They were much more impressive than I had expected.

Roman then hooked up his other arrays with a build cost of approx. $5000 and those were like you were listening to a live performance. There was definitely a noticeable difference between the two arrays, but $150 vs. $5000 is a noticeable cost difference too.

My oldest daughter and my 5 week old grandson were also there and enjoyed the music. My daughter commented on the way home that you were all very cool guys and appreciated how you were able to explain things to her at a level she could understand. She also enjoyed the music selections that were sampled. We would have liked to stay longer for more listening and pizza, but transporting a baby on the subway between Brooklyn and Queens is all about timing.

The Sony arrays are definitely by far worth more than it costs to build them. Thanks again for the hospitality Roman.

Comment

Working...