Best cheap speakers you've heard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cheap speakers you've heard.

Let's say $300 cap per pair. Any configuration tower, bookshelf, etc. Brand names or DIY. If DIY, please account for materials, primer, paint, glue,etc....

So far, my favorite ultra cheap speakers are Monoprice in-wall speakers.

I really want to give the Andrew Jones designed Pioneers a listen.

Re: Best cheap speakers you've heard.

Overnight Sensation MTM. $200/pair with terminals and pre-cut cabs. A little more for glue and paint.
    -Dan
    Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

ntns, karma indignia's, os's
      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Since I don't know commercial speakers at all....
        Without being biased and stating my 'Sophomores' yet again, even though I really feel they apply to this category, I think I would have to state George Marousek's (moosespeaker's) 'Stormies'. Built with bowls, and applied with a sub, the imaging and soundstage is likely the most-immersive pair I've ever heard at their pricepoint.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Bose:eek: 141s I picked up for 2$. 4.in fullrangers that are going to be used as mids in a future project.

Comment

Originally posted by generic View Post
            I really want to give the Andrew Jones designed Pioneers a listen.
            I picked up a pair of BS-41's during the last Wootoff. A little thin in the bass, otherwise they sound very nice and are a steal for $100.
            "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Years ago I grabbed 5 brand new JBL HLS610's when Best Buy was closing them out at $40/ea. They are not the best by any means, but they don't do anything terribly wrong either. The horns/waveguides are kind of ugly, but I can't build anything that performs better for close to that price. Some years later, I stumbled upon (literally!) a well used pair of Spendor SP1's at a consignment store for only $42/pair!!
              Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Picked up a pair of Speakerlab DAS-7s for $20. Only had to refoam the 10s and 12s and threw a coat of danish oil on em.

Comment

I agree the JBL HLS series aren't too bad, I have pair of the 810s. I once picked up a pair of JBL L65s "Jubals" from goodwill for $19.99. Work perfectly after the woofers had new surrounds.

Dan

Comment

A little more than the limit but Usher S520. I have a pair and they are very very good

Comment

Cambridge soundworks Newton Series. Just nice overall. nothing to make the hair on your neck stand up, but they play everything very well. Made a great off the shelf HT setup.

M80, 3way picked up for $100pr used
                      M50, TM, picked up for $30pr used

Comment

Best DIY under $300 - Paul Carmody's Aethers - I have had them for a quite a few years now and still enjoy them. Budget minded drivers and a pretty simple crossover but those open baffle mids really produce a nice large soundstage and sound great with almost anything you throw at them.

Best commercial under $300 - Haven't heard much in this category but one cheap commercial design I've heard a few times and that sounded better then they should have were the Energy Pro .5 from the mid 90's

Comment

I've got some Athena speakers that are quite nice for the price. These and these. They were both under $300 a pair, the S2 was the first "nice" set of speakers I bought. I still use them from time to time.
                          My modest builds:
                          Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                          Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                          Armadillo Center Channel
                          Au-Rock-O Sub
                          Tarkus
                          Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

For strict performance/dollar amount spent the Driscoll I built are tops. It uses very good drivers bought at rock bottom pricing, a solid crossover design using entry level components, and the cabinet was inexpensive even considering the piano black finish.

Commercially, I really like the Primus stuff from Infinity but would like to hear those new Pioneer jobbers in a better listening room than the Best Buy.
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                              For strict performance/dollar amount spent the Driscoll I built are tops. It uses very good drivers bought at rock bottom pricing, a solid crossover design using entry level components, and the cabinet was inexpensive even considering the piano black finish.

Commercially, I really like the Primus stuff from Infinity but would like to hear those new Pioneer jobbers in a better listening room than the Best Buy.
                              Johnny,

My favorite local watering hole just installed quite a few of the new pioneer speakers you are talking about. They really do sound good. The bar owners jukebox distributor replaced all the BOSE with these. They have nice audible bass, and can play everything well. They even play Karaoke well- I call that a victory. These were all the TM bookshelf variety.

Comment

Working...
                              X