And Now for Something Completely Different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Now for Something Completely Different

What to call them? No XO yet. Putting these together just for fun. Beside the Malbecs, and TzuJans just peeking out from behind.

And don't suggest Tidy Whiteys.

A sickness for sure.

Re: And Now for Something Completely Different

I think you already have your name.
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

85db?????

hmmmm

I like them woofs. I got 4 of them also. My plans are for a JBL L100 clone.
      The box (1.43 cu. ft. Knockdowns) and qts. match the Troels rebuild;http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm

Johnny Richards budget 3-way got me kick started in that direction.

Gonna follow this thread to read your impression on these woofs.

Comment

Well, a 30 min XO is in place. They are making music. My wife says they are the nicest sounding XO first shot I've done. Quite listenable.

Shot in the dark - after just a few swaps -- 10.4mH on the woofer - 12uf with a 3.3 ohm series resistor on the TG9FD's.

I suppose I'll have to get out Omnimic and see what I am getting at my listening position.

These open baffles are a different animal, but really easy to listen to.

Rudy - I'm guessing you are about right.

Comment

"The Paladins" Known as "holy knights", traditionally seen as "white knights" vs. the well known "Black Night". I am thinking you can have a very paint job to accompany.

OR

Since they look like something from the 80's.... "White Panthers" may work well. I can picture a hair band with that name.

They look very cool. I love simple x-overs.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
            Well, a 30 min XO is in place. They are making music. My wife says they are the nicest sounding XO first shot I've done. Quite listenable.

Shot in the dark - after just a few swaps -- 10.4mH on the woofer - 12uf with a 3.3 ohm series resistor on the TG9FD's.

I suppose I'll have to get out Omnimic and see what I am getting at my listening position.

These open baffles are a different animal, but really easy to listen to.

Rudy - I'm guessing you are about right.
            Now you got my curiosity up. I could try a mock before I commit to my project. The mids are cheap enough...

Comment

I think you should paint them sparkly white and call them "The Eltons."

Or, "The Cullens" if, you know, you hate literature.

Comment

After a couple of hours listening, I have just a couple of observations.

1) Something a bit edgy in upper range of female vocals and in brass passages. Don't know if it is the TG9FD's or a woofer breakup - or both. With just a first order electrical, would not be surprised if is the woof. May need a trap on the tweeter.

2) These woofers are not Ushers. ;-)
                Hardly the ultimate in resolution, but they way I have them set up, useful bass way down. Qt measures 1.14 on these, so they should be OK for open baffle.

Comment

The Flying Circus

Comment

The Montys
                    "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                      After a couple of hours listening, I have just a couple of observations.

1) Something a bit edgy in upper range of female vocals and in brass passages. Don't know if it is the TG9FD's or a woofer breakup - or both. With just a first order electrical, would not be surprised if is the woof. May need a trap on the tweeter.

2) These woofers are not Ushers. ;-)
                      Hardly the ultimate in resolution, but they way I have them set up, useful bass way down. Qt measures 1.14 on these, so they should be OK for open baffle.
                      Soooooooo. When working with drivers that I know are less than ideal. A generous BBC dip with a VERY slight rise between 80 and 150Hz. Also, try getting a gentle rise (3dB.octave) from 10K and up if you can. Not sure if you can on a wide band driver. Just obersvations from years of working with junk. ;)

Comment

just 'whiteys'. like the kid on 'leave it to ******'.
                        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Staying with the wine names, Bloomfarms or Bloomers :D

Comment

reAlly, i cant talk about wallys bother, the beave?
                            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                            Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                            http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

And now some modeling.

I pulled together some modeling using Martin King's wonderful spreadsheets.

First, here is the modeled response in baffle of the woofer.
                              Dashed Red - Infinite Baffle Response
                              Dashed Magenta - Baffle Response
                              Dashed Brown - Crossover Response
                              Solid Red - Combined Response

Then I got serious about a crossover, and modeled a 2nd order electrical - again using Martin's spreadsheets. Of course, actual measured response is not included, but they are already sounding much better - moving from pretty good, to "I've got something here". Steeper slopes have taken the edge off the low end of the "full range" Vifa.

All-in-all, I'm liking them. By Indiana, they will probably be good enough to share.

Under $200. Not bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X