Foot In Mouth, Tail Between Legs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot In Mouth, Tail Between Legs...

Yep, heard my dayton ref 12 HF sub (sealed 1.8 cu ft) making metallic ticking noises during heavy parts of U-571 today.

Then when pushing on the cone to see what happens when it bottoms out, I heard what sounds remarkably... eerily... unmistakably... like... wait for it...

an oil can

Certainly neither the dust cap nor the cone are inverting, but it sounds EXACTLY like the old 8 oz oil can in dad's garage... Tin Man... Identical.

I was so psyched to watch U-571 to dial in my sub... Well it turns out the sub simply couldn't handle it :(

Gonna remove the driver, see if I can figure out what's hitting... But I don't have high hopes, as others have failed to solve this.

So... any other nice 12" subs that will play nice with 1.8 cu ft sealed with SA240B plate amp?

grumble

EDIT: WATCH THIS VIDEO:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...WlDbhfMYOnOZrg

IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION: see post #109 on page 6
    Last edited by lunchmoney; 12-30-2011, 07:51 AM.

Re: Foot In Mouth, Tail Between Legs...

Maybe the TC Epic 12?
    Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

I can't remember if I was looking at the 12" or 15" version, but I thought it modeled out to a optimal 6 cubic foot box and I thought this forum was recommending me not to smaller then a 3 cubic foot box. I'm only going by memory, so these numbers might not be right, but is it possible your box is too small?

I'm glad I went with my Emo12, even if it is out for warranty repair.....

Comment

I'm not going to say 'I told you so'. Let us know what you find out, please!
        U-571 is a torture test- Not all subwoofers can handle it. I LOVE that movie!

Yes- the TC will be okay.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Henry View Post
          Maybe the TC Epic 12?
          +100

Same SQ IMO, same box, slightly less efficient but that shouldnt kill your output. The Epics are Epic. Go figure. I assume your crossed around 80ish? Thats close to the limit on the Epics but you should be fine.
          Your results may vary.

Comment

Wolf, let's just say the title of this thread was written for you

Comment

Yo Matt, has pe looked into this problem?

Comment

Rather than sealed, what do you think of cutting open the sides with a pair of passive radiators and acoustic elegance TD12H?
                :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

ok, so I just took out the driver, and I think maybe I've figured it out...

If push on the cone very evenly, I hear nothing... I can quickly push it way down, no sound.

But if I push on it unevenly, imagine pushing the cone just in one spot, a few inches from center, I hear a metallic scrape/clank sound that is very much the same timbre as the oil can sound I heard.

If this were to happen quickly, it could very easily make the "clank" or "oil can" sound... forget "very easily"... it's definitely it.

It's the voice coil, no question... had my ear close to the back of the driver while doing it... the hollow tube of the voice sounds like the clank of an empty tin can ('cause that's more or less what a voice coil is)... the voice coil is either hitting the magnet or the pole piece, 100%

SO... why would the driver fire unevenly?

Well, gravity is in play, in theory a horizontally mounted driver will NEVER fire perfectly horizontal, gravity will always have some effect.

Could I just downfire it?

P.S. Definitely NOT something "oil canning", so that's still a poor name for it ;)... "hollow clank" is better

Comment

Here's a thought:

Since the sub is sealed, could the internal air pressure somehow be causing the voice coil to distort, therefore hitting the pole piece or magnet?

Comment

How's about taking that sub out of the box and running a few test tones in free air to have a better listen? That way, you'll be able to try it down or up firing or any direction you want to see if it makes a difference.

What I'm curious about is why this doesn't happen with other subs.
                      Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
                        How's about taking that sub out of the box and running a few test tones in free air to have a better listen? That way, you'll be able to try it down or up firing or any direction you want to see if it makes a difference.
                        Good idea. Will do!

Is there any way to upload any audio clip to the forum? I can record audio with my iphone no problem, but dont know how I would get it here...

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
                          Here's a thought:

Since the sub is sealed, could the internal air pressure somehow be causing the voice coil to distort, therefore hitting the pole piece or magnet?
                          I don't think there's enough pressure there to distort the voice coil and former, but you'd know for sure if you played it free air.
                          Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Good idea. Will do!

Is there any way to upload any audio clip to the forum? I can record audio with my iphone no problem, but dont know how I would get it here...
                            Upload to youtube? Is there a youtube app for the iphone?
                            Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

SO... why would the driver fire unevenly?
                              Cone sag, magnet shift?
                              "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X