Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for opinions for the best powered monitors in the world

As a counter list to the

The ULTIMATE Monitor List Commercial and DIY Best in the World!!!!!

AS POSTED by ridikas. I would ask the pe members to list their favorite powered monitors.

no restriction except they must be powered.

here are my favorite ones.

diy focal mtm using focal 7w4411 cones and focal tlr tweeters or

diy focal mt using focal 7w4411 cones and focal tlr tweeters

btw I made them with the exception of the cabinets.

they use this amp

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-775

and here they are in photos. I purchased the focal 7w4411s at about 220 a pair and the focal tlr tweeters at 400 a pair. the drivers were made in france. I have been lazy and did not cut mounts for the plate amps. so they even qualify to ridikas since he wants non powered take a look at the location of the plate amps.
    Attached Files

Re: Asking for opinions for the best powered monitors in the world

While I do think that this "Best in the World" parody thing is already silly :rolleyes:

I'll propose the Behringer B2030A as outstanding (holds its own with the best of them) in the "stupid little box" catagory, and the Linkwitz PLUTO as an example of how much better it can get if you get "out of the box" . . .
    "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

The Mackie 8's sound good to me near-field. They may be in more control rooms than all other brands combined, because almost every radio and TV station uses them as well as recording studios. Here in Tussa, they are in all but 8 of 51 radio stations and all but two of the TV stations(of 39). My "voice guy" has them in his home studio (I do a few educational videos a year for the State Universities). Everybody loves them because A: they sound good B: if they break, ever, you have a replacement set coming overnite or faster and your's repaired free.

Comment

yeah the mackies are pretty solid

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
          The Mackie 8's
          I presume you mean the Yes-They-Are-Really-Good Hr824 . . . (not the MR8) . . .
          "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

Since your spec dosen't have a price restriction on it or only those offered to general consumers.....

I've used various Klein & Hummel (K&H)powered near field monitors over the years and found them very honest for almost any musical genre.

Since Neumann bought out K&H and then introduce their KH 120 A - Active Studio Monitor , I would consider it to be one of the top contenders for the title "best powered monitors in the world" (for near field - since "monitors" are generally used that way - or it's bigger brother the 410 which is more of a mid-field or main monitor)

Comment

The two models that Behringer offers are very good, especially for the rice. They are the B2030A and the B2031A.

The only problem is the driver configuration. The B2030A uses a 6.75" mid-woofer and a 0.75" tweeter and the B2031A uses a 1" tweeter with an 8" mid-woofer. What is the problem? Off-axis response. If Behringer used the 1" tweeter with the 6.75" woofer (and crossed over much lower, let's say 1.8kHz), it would be one killer deal. As they are now, both designs slightly fall apart in the midrange if listened to off-axis.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/B2031P...5-30-45-60.gif

Comment

yes, the Hr824's and the eariler Mackie 8's (only name on them). Radio stations (like KREK I now part-time for) take three pair of them for "remotes". I'm not "on-air talent", but they do the job for them. They still "thump" pretty good at 100 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by philiparcario View Post
                  I would ask the pe members to list their favorite powered monitors.

no restriction except they must be powered.

I suspect that Genelec's 8260A is a very good monitor, but have not had the opportunity to listen to a pair of those.

It has a shallow waveguide loaded coax tweeter/midrange with well smoothed transitions for minimized diffraction, crossed to a 10 inch woofer, in a DSP filtered active 3-way tri-amp'd monitor, for ~$5k each.

No hokus poke-us in this one...

http://www.genelecusa.com/products/3...onitors/8260a/

"Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
                  of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
                  - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
                  A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
                  (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

I love what you did with the Focal stuff.

These turned out exceptionally well for me. The Engineers at the studio love them. (Of course, I "borrowed" Behringer amps and crossovers to drive them with :D)

Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products
                      No matter where you go, there you are.
                      Website

Comment

I second the Genelecs and Jeff Bagby's MTM design. You just know they'll rock. :D

To add some...

These PMCs:
                        http://www.pmc-speakers.com/product....d=15&show=spec

These ATCs:
                        http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/scm300at.php

These Grimm LS1s:
                        http://www.grimmaudio.com/pro_loudspeakers_ls1.htm

what, who said monitors = 2-way 2-driver 10" tall bookshelves?
                        :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

Originally posted by ridikas View Post
                          The two models that Behringer offers are very good, especially for the rice. They are the B2030A and the B2031A.

The only problem is the driver configuration. The B2030A uses a 6.75" mid-woofer and a 0.75" tweeter and the B2031A uses a 1" tweeter with an 8" mid-woofer. What is the problem? Off-axis response. If Behringer used the 1" tweeter with the 6.75" woofer (and crossed over much lower, let's say 1.8kHz), it would be one killer deal. As they are now, both designs slightly fall apart in the midrange if listened to off-axis.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/B2031P...5-30-45-60.gif
                          Are we reading the same chart? This speaker has excellent directivity characteristics.

Comment

Working...
                          X