Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build Thread: The Bombers (SR71's become 3-ways)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Build Thread: The Bombers (SR71's become 3-ways)

Originally posted by fezzywigger View Post
    Is the new crossover going to change the original SR71 crossover much? I want to buy the SR71 kit but now I want to do this! If the crossover is a complete re-do I will hold off on the kit and buy components individually.

VERY EXCITED FOR THIS BUILD!
    Yes, totally new 3-way crossover. Not sure if it will share any crossover components, I haven't studied it yet.

But in the big picture, whether or not you get to cannibalize parts from a previous crossover is small potatos.

Besides, I like the idea that I can always reconnect the SR71 crossovers and hear them again, maybe just to compare how they sound for fun.

Comment

New x-over as there is more to account for with them being a 3-way. From mid to high is reasonablly the same, with diffraction and step accounted for, and other minor changes anyone would have to make going to a 3-way.

Comment

The model drawings look really cool (too bad all that work will be hidden when completed). This should be a really interesting build thread.

TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS, PLEASE!!!! I want to see how you're going to make the front corner pieces (I really miss my old job with a milling machine and lathe...now I just sit at a desk staring at a computer).
        Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

I'd add another set of vertical dowels to further enhance the top and bottom panel rigidity. At least four more . . .
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I'd add another set of vertical dowels to further enhance the top and bottom panel rigidity. At least four more . . .
            Hmmm... or I could just increase the width of the top 3 mdf scraps... what say you?

Comment

The SR-71 isn't a bomber, it's a reconnaissance jet. Maybe call the project Mach-3 in honor of the aircraft's top speed?

Comment

Originally posted by MagicO309d View Post
                The SR-71 isn't a bomber, it's a reconnaissance jet. Maybe call the project Mach-3 in honor of the aircraft's top speed?
                Well, I wanted something with more fire power

Bombers it is

Comment

Have you considered barrel board vs. kerfing the outer skin?

Comment

Originally posted by Loudy View Post
                    Have you considered barrel board vs. kerfing the outer skin?
                    Can you dato cut it?

Comment

Those are going to be some monumentally awesome cabinets sir. I skimmed the thread here at work, did you address if you're going to redo the bass crossover in the SR71 to a bandpass and cross in the 10" passively or is this going to be an active setup?

Comment

Originally posted by evilskillit View Post
                        Those are going to be some monumentally awesome cabinets sir. I skimmed the thread here at work, did you address if you're going to redo the bass crossover in the SR71 to a bandpass and cross in the 10" passively or is this going to be an active setup?
                        Completely new passive 3-way crossover.

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoey View Post
                          Well, I wanted something with more fire power

Bombers it is
                          Well, then you should name it the YF-12 wich is the interceptor sister of the SR-71. :D

Or, if you really want a bomber, why not B-2?

"It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

And thus ended the uninvited "What should I call them" portion of the build thread :p

They are called The Bombers

Comment

If you'd start cutting some wood people'd quite worrying about the name lol :D

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                              return to the source
                              leviathan system thread
                              deadhorse thread
                              shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
                                And thus ended the uninvited "What should I call them" portion of the build thread :p

They are called The Bombers

Hahaha....
                                My Build Blog: LHark Audio

Comment

Working...
                                X