Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build Thread: The Bombers (SR71's become 3-ways)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Build Thread: The Bombers (SR71's become 3-ways)

The Schmomenclatures

Now THAT is a super bitchin' name for a pair of speakers.

copyright 2012 The Almighty Mike Zisserson

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
      And thus ended the uninvited "What should I call them" portion of the build thread :p

They are called The Bombers

+1. LOL. Well said.
      SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
      Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
      SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
      SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

Here we go... starting with the window braces... first I spray mount a printout of the shape to a blank...

Then rough cut with a band saw...

Then get the shape precise with a belt sander and spindle sander...

Then I drilled a 1" hole for the vertical dowel... this will also be critical for aligning the braces during gluing... I also drilled the 1" hole for the next brace while I was at it...

Now to make any duplicates of this brace (there are 2 of this one, for instance), I drill a 1" hole in a new blank, stack them up with double sided tape, and the rough cut the new blank on the band saw, while the "master" is taped to it...

Then it's off to the router table with a flush trim bit to make the new brace match the "master" perfectly...

Now for the "windows"... I simply chucked up a very sharp 1/4" endmill in the router table... drilled 1/2" holes in the windows to get it started, and then just eyeballed it... this was surprisingly easy, especially once I got the hang of it...

Now for the windows on the duplicate braces, I simply traced the braces on the "master" onto the duplicate brace, rinse and repeat...

Then I cut up some scraps of 3/4" plywood, and started gluing the whole bracing structure together... this was a bit fiddly, could have used another pair of hands, but not too bad at all... the scraps aren't placed with any real accuracy, as it simply doesn't matter...any gaps between the scraps and outer wall will get filled with PL glue... I could have done these better, but it would have been a lot more work... not worth it...

Comment

Way cool build and awsome pictures!!!
          Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Damn you work fast homie. Good job. Looks awesome.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
            return to the source
            leviathan system thread
            deadhorse thread
            shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Clamps off... glued the dowels in with PL adhesive, and also added a bead of PL to each joint, to ensure none of the scraps come loose and start rattling...

Comment

You should sand all those burn marks off or it's going to bother you FOR-E-VUR :D yeah I just did that haha.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                return to the source
                leviathan system thread
                deadhorse thread
                shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                  You should sand all those burn marks off or it's going to bother you FOR-E-VUR :D yeah I just did that haha.
                  Yep... that and a nice sharp chisel to clean up all the glue... I will say I'm not a fan of how messy the PL is... although the gap filling is amazing, so it's worth it...

Comment

Great work so far. Will the Bombers fly with the Blackbird CC? If that's the plan are Blackbird changes needed/in process?

Comment

Originally posted by rvsixer View Post
                      Great work so far. Will the Bombers fly with the Blackbird CC? If that's the plan are Blackbird changes needed/in process?
                      Great question.

I'm guessing they'll still sound great together, other than the Blackbird will definitely sound a bit lean in comparison... but I don't think there will be any glaring issues...

Same mid and tweet, obviously, and Mike said that the x-over design for the Bombers is very similar for the mid and tweet.

It has crossed my mind to build a bass bin to sit under the Blackbird, maybe dual 7's, but that would require serious modification to the AV cabinet...

Comment

ooooh... this is gonna be good!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
                          It has crossed my mind to build a bass bin to sit under the Blackbird...
                          That would be sweet. My first thought upon seeing the Bombers thread, was Blackbird actively crossed over to another RS270 bin :D.

For movies the CC does not generally go that low, and the Blackbird should be fine on its own. But for surround music...

Comment

Cleared for take off....all systems go!!
                            A mains
                            The Ventures
                            Open Invit8tions
                            RSR
                            Sound Troopers
                            Acorns
                            DGBG's
                            The Monuments

Comment

Topic for discussion:

Should I line the walls and stuff? Or just stuff?

Remember that these are sealed and will never see anything above 200 hz...

Please discuss, I know there are different schools of thought here...

Comment

And, what to material(s) to use? Construction looks good, BTW.

Comment

Working...
                                X