Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build Thread: The Bombers (SR71's become 3-ways)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Build Thread: The Bombers (SR71's become 3-ways)

Amazing Patients and steady hands you have. You almost keep doubting your material thickness.... Engineering can beat brute force 9outta 10. You got it set! I would die to hear this when done, it seems like all the right things working together.

Comment

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
      Amazing Patients and steady hands you have. You almost keep doubting your material thickness.... Engineering can beat brute force 9outta 10. You got it set! I would die to hear this when done, it seems like all the right things working together.
      Thanks dude. It's true I can't help wondering about whether sounds will simply transmit thru areas that have no bracing. But again, I trust the likes of bill fitz who uses this technique extensively, so I'm not worried.

Comment

Now gluing up the other baffle... alignment was critical, note the lines lining up...

Heavy things are useful in a shop...

Now to add braces above and below the woofer hole, tied directly to the window braces...

That baffle is STUPID rigid now

Comment

That's what happens when you put a little engineering into it ;)

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
          return to the source
          leviathan system thread
          deadhorse thread
          shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Comment

Chillin' like they own the place :D

During that photo shoot,
              Not a single F*ck was given.

Lol...

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
              return to the source
              leviathan system thread
              deadhorse thread
              shockwave build thread

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                Chillin' like they own the place :D

During that photo shoot,
                Not a single F*ck was given.

Lol...
                laiid back with their mind on their bracing and their bracing on their mind:rolleyes:

Comment

Comment

Thanks for sharing your build Lunch, I like it. I was just moving some things to storage the other day and thinking "what am I going to do with this pair of RS270s?" I have my answer. Did you mention a finish or did I miss it?

Comment

Originally posted by danklugherz View Post
                      Thanks for sharing your build Lunch, I like it. I was just moving some things to storage the other day and thinking "what am I going to do with this pair of RS270s?" I have my answer. Did you mention a finish or did I miss it?
                      Dark wood veneer

Comment

New material for the major bend (sides and rear):

I scored some "Wacky Wood", which is 3/8" plywood that is very flexible (engineered for bending around things).

Also some nice flexible 1/8" plywood (not Wacky, but still nice and flexible), that will then laminate over that for a combined thickness of 1/2".

Soon...

Comment

Go get Wacky with it then! :D

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                          return to the source
                          leviathan system thread
                          deadhorse thread
                          shockwave build thread

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                            Go get Wacky with it then! :D
                            I think someone recently scored some Wacky of their own...

Dude keeps goofin' up my build thread grumble grumble

:p

Comment

Just found out a local company stocks 3/8" thick "bending ply". Sounds really similar to your "wacky wood" Really tempted to get a sheet. 3 layers, with PL premium holding things together, would be about 1.25" thick and pretty strong. Can't wait to see what you do with this. Instead I might do 2 layers + 1/4" HDF.

A single sheet is $45 and it's Luan faced.
                              Last edited by djkest; 02-09-2012, 11:45 AM.
                              -Dan
                              Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Ok, so after much experimentation, and much wasted plywood, I finally came up with a plan that was a slight compromise, but not too bad...

I decided to do the wrap in sections, using 3/8" wacky wood around the corners... doing this allowed me to get clamps in there at perfect locations... another layer of 1/8" plywood will go over the wacky wood, to achieve a total thickness of 1/2"... the flats will then be added out of normal 1/2" plywood... scraps of plywood will be glued to the inside edges of the wacky wood layer to create lap joints for the flats to glue to.

So a bit of a punt indeed, since I wanted to see if I could do the wrap in one piece, but it should work out fine.

This was quite a learning experience... frustrating at times, but that all goes away when you see that bent piece all clamped up...

First pic shows the dado cut pieces of wacky wood...

Then clamping it up was surprisingly easy. The bracing structure was perfect for getting clamps exactly where they were needed.

Towards the bottom of this picture you can see where I made the mistake of taking the clamps off of a brace after only 6 hours... PL truly needs to clamp overnight, boys and girls... no biggie, but glad I learned this while gluing a really insignificant piece (I'll just glue back it in later).

Last edited by lunchmoney; 02-14-2012, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X