3D modelling software recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D modelling software recomendations

I have noticed on a few threads now that people are designing their speaker cabinets in 3d design software. Does anybody have a favorite they could recommend and if so why?

I have tinkered a bit with google sketchup 8, it seems not bad, but kind of frustrating to use and doesn't seem to be too intuitive. maybe im just being impatient.

Re: 3D modelling software recomendations

I would look at the price tags of some of the midrange packages first. Unless your making a profit from the stuff your designing it's probably not worth the outlay.

I haven't used it yet, but I've heard good things about AutoDesk's 123D package. It's parametric based (which is what you want for design) and can save your projects in industry standard formats. It's also free.

Google Sketchup has it's roots in architecture design. As a result I think it's crippled right out of the gate for mechanical design (my opinion of course). It also costs $500 for the pro version, which is a total ripoff (also my opinion).

Originally posted by jgleadall View Post
    I have noticed on a few threads now that people are designing their speaker cabinets in 3d design software. Does anybody have a favorite they could recommend and if so why?

I have tinkered a bit with google sketchup 8, it seems not bad, but kind of frustrating to use and doesn't seem to be too intuitive. maybe im just being impatient.

Comment

Re: 3D speaker design software recomendations

I may not have been clear, what i meant was more for 3d speaker design and would be more for hobby, so free or cheaperish would be preferable.

Comment

Do you mean something 'like sketch-up'? Or something to do 3D modeling and ray-traced animation?

Comment

like sketch up. i am wanting to mock up a project idea and would like to build it in 3d, just a simple stage monitor boombox sorta thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jgleadall View Post
            It will do anything, but don't expect to get proficient with it in less than a few months. You can't beat the price.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I've been modeling with Sketchup since 08. There are many great beginner tutorials out there for it. I recommend watching those before you begin, they will help significantly in your designing process.

Here's an example I made of what is possible with Sketchup. This is a proposed dual 8" MTM tower design.

Last edited by Weber; 01-14-2012, 11:21 PM.
              Break in period = The time it takes for the new speakers to break in. And the time it takes for you ears to get adjusted to the new speakers.

Comment

Another vote for sketchup. I prefer to use Solidworks for a final draft, but nothing beats sketchup for fast and relatively easy (and free). As suggested, video tutorials will get you rolling in no time. There is no other 3D software I'm aware that can be learned so quickly.
                L&R BuildSub Build

Comment

ok thanks guys, i will check out the tutorials

Comment

Its free, has a steep learning curve but the results are unbelievable:

http://hof.povray.org/

The free modeler for it is called Moray

Comment

Things are getting better with sketchup already, im starting to figure it all out. building accurate looking drivers was my main challenge, ive since figured it out.

In high school 10 years ago all the super geeks were into povray i remember, its supposed to be awesome stuff. Never got into it though, i was just a regular geek 3dsmax was as far as i ever got and that wasn't very far. Thanks for the tip though, appreciate it.

Comment

You know you can use parameters in Sketchup, right? I note that several people say they've heard "good things" about Autodesk 123D, but no one seems to be using it, or at least posting anything.

Originally posted by Dave_W View Post
                        I would look at the price tags of some of the midrange packages first. Unless your making a profit from the stuff your designing it's probably not worth the outlay.

I haven't used it yet, but I've heard good things about AutoDesk's 123D package. It's parametric based (which is what you want for design) and can save your projects in industry standard formats. It's also free.

Google Sketchup has it's roots in architecture design. As a result I think it's crippled right out of the gate for mechanical design (my opinion of course). It also costs $500 for the pro version, which is a total ripoff (also my opinion).
                        I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                        OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                        Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                        Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                        Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                        LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Even better is a program called Kerkythea that will accept imports from Sketchup and render photo-realistic images. I used it in the past, and it was truly breathtaking, though I don't have any of my own images to show since I'm at work. Here are a couple of samples from other users though...

Bathroom Interior

Shelf

More information (and the software) can be found at: http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/

Really amazing stuff...

Steve

Comment

If you know someone with a student email (.edu) you can get your hands on a full blown version of Inventor. The only difference from the regular product is the watermark it tags to your drawing. It is a powerful tool, I use it all day every day at work and have the student version at home.

Comment

Working...
                            X