Cheap-O Center Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap-O Center Build

Alright, before I get hounded for being an idiot, I'll preface with this: College budget (aka none), terrible room dynamics, new to speaker stuff in general.

Goal: Use the two Tang Band 3" drivers ( http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-113 )(leftoversfrom a repair) to build a cheap center channel.

Basic info:
    Speaker Info:
    Name: W3-881SI 3"
    Type: Standard woofer
    Company: TB Speakers
    No. of Drivers = 1
    Fs = 106 Hz
    Qms = 7.17
    Vas = 0.05 liters
    Xmax = 0.5 mm
    Sd = 69 sq.cm
    Qes = 0.96
    Re = 6.6 ohms
    Le = 0.212 mH
    Z = 8 ohms
    Pe = 30 watts
    Dimensions:

Realistically, anything is better than what I'm using as a CC right now, which is an old satellite speaker from a surround system.

I have basic electronics knowledge if I need to add any kind of simple x-over, but I don't know if it will be necessary, I'll leave it up to you guys.

If anyone can help me decide dimensions/layout/anything really that would be great. It really doesn't have to be perfect sound-wise, just something for me to play with to put these two drivers into use and off of my desk.
    Last edited by Adam_G; 01-25-2012, 06:54 PM.

Re: Cheap-O Center Build

How would I calculate the best center-to-center measurements for these two speakers? Or should I just mount them as close together as possible?

Comment

Well... with the addition of a single 4 or 5 uf capacitor, you can make kind of an "inverted" 1.5 way speaker. Place them (ideally) in a vertical array, but horizontal is ok too if you get them very close.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

@Johnny:
        What would the advantage be to the 1.5 be? I'm not really sure what that is or what it would do for the sound. I can put them vertically given where they are going if it would be better. I know a little about comb filtering so I assumed that vertically would be better, but confirmation is always good.

Comment

Johnny is absolutely correct and the inverted 1.5 is an interesting concept.

Comment

i'd be interested to hear how the inverted 1.5-way concept works out.... but while you're adding parts to your cart, you might want to consider the nuance mylar -073 3" waveguide tweeter. johnny and i have both used versions of it (he used the larger waveguide) and were happy with it for the $2.50 price. one cap, probably one resistor, and one inductor and you could go the MTM route for not much money.
            TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

Adam, I cleared my PM box out, so go ahead and resend! Or better yet, use my email.
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I figured you guys would like to see my work so far.... hahaha.

For what it's worth(which is nothing): It sounds better than what I'm using as a CC already, which really scares me.

@Johnny: I tossed you a PM about the 1.5 idea, just some clarification stuff.
                @Patrick: I definitely wouldn't mind the MTM idea, but I will need some guidance on that if I do end up going that way. I'll definitely let you know.
                Thank you both for your help by the way. : )

Comment

Dude, I dig your cardboard box work. I've run speakers like that for weeks and months sometimes. I'm going to go out a limb here, and suggest you just run them full range with no crossover for your center channel. If you are running them from a HTR, set them as "small". If you can choose a high pass of 100HZ, perfect, but 80Hz would probably work also. Listen to them for a few weeks, and figure out later if you really need a tweeter and crossover.

What kind of woodworking tools do you have? If not, you can get some small boxes from PE or Ikea, but you will still need some glue, a drill, and jigsaw.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I agree with my fellow ATLien. My nephew has a set just like this and they sound amazing with not filters. Are they perfect? Nope but they sound really really good. They don't need a tweeter at all. The 1.5 way thing does sound interesting and I think my nephew is playing with that idea now. One thing those speakers do REALLY well is the human voice. Considering that's the main function of a CC, I think you made a good choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KEvSBZvA-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXPr986ldoM

Comment

@donradick: Haha, thanks. I'm an engineering student, which means I have to be a master cardboard craftsman from all of the stupid cardboard bridge / tower / everything projects. Right now I'm running them as small on my HT system, but it's old and a piece of junk, so I can't adjust the x-over on it. The only time I really use my CC is when I'm listening to music very quietly and for movies, so it's doing well in both of those areas as it is. For loud music I just listen in stereo. As far as the woodworking goodies, I have to wait a few weeks to head back home and grab them, or make my boxes there. I've got pretty much everything you can imagine, and I believe I actually have some very nice cherry I could play with hiding out in my garage. We will see how that goes.

@John: Your nephew's setup is pretty nice. It's funny, the dimensions are almost exactly the same as my cardboard box from what I can tell! Lucky pick from the trash pile. I agree that they don't really need a tweeter, since they are reasonably smooth from ~300-15k. Right now in the cardboard box they're responding better from like 1k-10k, but I think when they are properly fastened to a baffle that response will expand to what it should be. I've been looking around and seen people tuning them down below 100hz, but I don't need that since I have a subwoofer in my system.

For anyone: Noob question- What is a 1.5 speaker, and what is the advantage of a 1.5 speaker over whatever you would call my cardboard box speaker?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_G View Post
                        @donradick: Haha, thanks. I'm an engineering student, which means I have to be a master cardboard craftsman from all of the stupid cardboard bridge / tower / everything projects. Right now I'm running them as small on my HT system,
                        For anyone: Noob question- What is a 1.5 speaker, and what is the advantage of a 1.5 speaker over whatever you would call my cardboard box speaker?
                        So, what kind of engineering student are you?

A 1.5 system means 2 woofer-mids run full range, but with a coil on one woofer that acts as a low pass filter and rolls if off. So you have 2 woofers running on the bottom, but only 1 driver for high mids and highs. This means you don't get "lobing". It's all detailed in the big "speaker building bible" thread above.

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

So lobing and Comb Filtering are essentially brothers-from-another-speaker. I see how the 1.5 would help now. Since the speakers aren't horizontally arranged I haven't run into any problems with it so far, which is nice.

I'm Industrial Engr, but I've had alot of Mechanical experience and some training in circuits and electronic concepts.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_G View Post
                            So lobing and Comb Filtering are essentially brothers-from-another-speaker. I see how the 1.5 would help now. Since the speakers aren't horizontally arranged I haven't run into any problems with it so far, which is nice.

I'm Industrial Engr, but I've had alot of Mechanical experience and some training in circuits and electronic concepts.
                            re: lobing - BINGO - constructive and destructive interference when the wavelengths get short enough. That's why you never see 2 tweeters on a well-designed speaker.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Working...
                            X