Has everyone forgotten the aviatrix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has everyone forgotten the aviatrix?

I've been planning a 5.1 HT build for a while now, the choice was hard but the aviatrix kit from PE kept catching my eye. When I search for aviatrix on this forum I dont see a lot of build threads. Do people just not bother posting their builds or is it a little expensive or what? It seems like a great design and with the reasonable kit pricing I figured it would be a more popular choice.

Re: Has everyone forgotten he aviatrix?

Quite the contrary, the aviatrix has been universally hailed as a great speaker and a great value...

You won't go wrong with them.

Comment

I'm sure the design and speakers are great. The tweeter is almost $55. The cost of the drivers have gone up so much, IMO, it would just be worth it to take the plunge to a more high end design.

Comment

It's still $300 though. Any "high end" designs that come in at that price? Especially with that kind of sensativity and extension.
        -Dan
        Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Re: Has everyone forgotten the aviatrix?

The Aviatrix now qualifies as froo-froo, boutique. The trend now is building speakers for <$150, which then dovetails into just buying retail vs. 'for the love of it' as you can't compete with economies of scale at that price. Somehow $300 is now 'expensive' for speaker builds, this leaves out many if not most projects over the past 5 years. Even Jeff's RS180 MTM (how can you beat that as a balance between sensitivity, SPL, sound quality, and simplicity?) kind of came and went. I can't remember the last time I saw any mention of an RS150/tdfc/rs28, etc. design... therefore driver price increase has nothing to do with it. Paul's Overnight Sensations seem to be the default high water mark for 'budget' builds these days (not dissing Paul). Just my .02.

Comment

froo-froo, boutique. Haha

I haven't actually heard those speakers, they might really be good, but Dayton used to be more of a budget brand. Their prices have gone up so much. Well, you can get the SR71 kit pair (parts only) for $319.

I guess the main advantage the other kit would be great bass extension with smaller drivers. If your really need a thinner box, then it could be the right design.

Overall, not bashing the design or drivers. It looks great. I just don't like the price. I rather have Seas drivers then marked up drivers from China.

Comment

I built some AviaTrix (MTM and TM versions), but my build threads are on different forums. Very nice designs, I highly recommend them.
              Beer party, party of 4
              Your table is now ready.

Comment

I've got the components and have been ready to build for some time now. But I've been distracted by a variety of other projects. Even though one can argue that $300 isn't a lot to spend on speakers that perform as well as these reputedly do, the price is probably discouraging a lot of potential buyers. It probably shouldn't, but most prospective builders really don't have any good way of deciding what to build because they can only go by what they read on the audio forums. It's a bit of a leap deciding to build a particular design when you haven't ever heard them. Sooooo, cost assumes more importance as a factor..

It's too bad there isn't some mechanism by which all the various designs that are available for the prospective builder to choose from, could be compared or rated. Maybe we need a fearless committee of respected designers to evaluate designs submitted by designer/builders??? There would likely be bloodshed and bruised feelings, so it probably isn't feasible. But it sure would be helpful...

I've gotten way off topic, so let me return by saying that I'm betting I won't be the least disappointed by the Aviatrix.
                Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

Originally posted by generic View Post
                  froo-froo, boutique. Haha

I haven't actually heard those speakers, they might really be good, but Dayton used to be more of a budget brand. Their prices have gone up so much. Well, you can get the SR71 kit pair (parts only) for $319.
                  The prices on the budget offerings are still pretty close to what they always have been. The Silkie is less than $20, as is the classic paper cone 5.25". Where those drivers have gone up by about $5 since 2005, the comparable Tang Band (W5-704D) went up from $10--and that's still a ferric magnet.

The whole hobby has gotten more expensive. Expectations have changed, too. The Dayton Classic 5.25" was THE go-to woofer in the "reasonably priced" category. Now it seems to be the driver you buy when you can't afford anything better. *shrug*
                  nothing can stop me now

Comment

My build thread for the Aviatrix MLTL is here. I'm pretty bad about forgetting to take photos when I'm cruising along and therefore don't go into as much detail as many others do. If you end up doing this project and need help with anything, feel free to drop me a line and I'll do what I can to help. I feel it is a nice design and well worth the $285... although, I must admit, I bought mine when PE had them for $200 for that week last year. Good luck and happy building!
                    Chris

Comment

I built a pair of the TM's in Waterfall Bubinga & think they are excellent for the $.
                      Attached Files
                      Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

I admit I've wondered the same thing. Over a year ago (:eek I pulled the trigger on the parts for a 5.1 build, and they're sitting in my shop ready to go. But then I moved and have since had too many house-fixing projects to get through before I can start building speakers.

They will be my first DIY speaker build, and I definitely can't wait to hear what "imaging" and "soundstage" are all about. I'll be coming from an old set of Klipsch 4.1 computer speakers.

Comment

As always good to hear everybody's viewpoints good and bad. I keep hoping the kit is gonna come on sale again, I saw it on sale that one time for 200 and didn't jump on them, regretting that. I just about ordered last week when they were back in stock, but they sold out again by the time I had my bom complete. I am wanting the MLTL for the fronts, too bad they dont have a ht 5.1 kit so you don't have to figure out the extra parts.

The total cost for all 5 speakers was in the 700 range which as long as these are as good as you all say really isnt that bad. I can't say I've seen any quality brands that had much in that range

Comment

Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post
                            I can't remember the last time I saw any mention of an RS150/tdfc/rs28, etc. design...
                            s' true. I hadn't even realized it, but I only got into this hobby 6 years or so ago. Back then, everything was about the 27TDFC and the RS150, and various permutations of the two. Still awesome drivers, though!
                            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Working...
                            X