X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test Box Build

WHAT G-DUB'S BUILDING SOMETHING??!?!?

Haha, yeah. :o

Well we all Fubar things from time to time. I cut everything as straight as I possibly could, with my $130 Skil tablesaw :eek: and the cuts were all at an angle with about 1mm or so extra on one end. Fortunately I was able to salvage it.

And when I was finished gluing up the last of 4 panels (Sides/Top/Bottom) I realized I had glued them together wrong. :rolleyes: With the top and bottom, on the top and bottom and not in the sides...

So... What to do?

Well, in order to maintain my original baffle size, I'm going to build an insanely strong box, haha. Here's the pics of what I'm doing to fix it:

I cut the extra sides oversized, and made sure there was a lip all the way around when I clamped them down, so I can flush-trim the edges later.

I didn't want them wadering around like 1 of my corners did, so I drilled pilot holes for screws and used a drillbit and allen wrench to re-align the board, so I didn't make a mess with the glue getting everywhere.

I clamped the side down uber tight with my 3 sh!ttiest (read: Only) clamps, don't worry I gave up and ordered 2-18" and 2-12" clamps from Rockler (they have cheap-ish *suprise shipping* that you add right before you click "checkout")

And somewhere under my crap pile there's a box with double-walled sides :D
    Attached Files

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Re: Test Box Build

Alright, I've gotten a little more work done, and I'm waiting for glue to dry and I'm going to get lunch.

I flushed up the edges of the outer layers...

And now I'm gluing a piece in the bottom, so that the baffle will be a particular height, and there will appear to be a little "stand" under the box

Attached Files

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

Comment

Good save!:D
      Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

You know what they say: one of the real measures of a craftsman is how well he can work around surprises/mistakes Looks great.

I just got back an hour or so ago from Home Depot, gathering some materials for a test box. I'm going to try some 1x12 pine, just to install and measure drivers.

Comment

Alright, bout time ya put some dust in the air!!:D
          A mains
          The Ventures
          Open Invit8tions
          RSR
          Sound Troopers
          Acorns
          DGBG's
          The Monuments

Comment

I apologize if I miss it, are you back state side? Last I remember you were still over seas dodging camels :D
            Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
              I apologize if I miss it, are you back state side? Last I remember you were still over seas dodging camels :D
              Yep, I've been back since October, then I went home for xmas, I've been back in AK for a month tomorrow. I'm packing up and heading for Florida soon, though!!!

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
              Alright, bout time ya put some dust in the air!!:D
              Yeah, I know. Feels good, to breathe in some MDF dust haha, I wouldn't dare open my garage door hahaha. I do have a vacuum setup on my DIY "Router Table" :D

Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post
              You know what they say: one of the real measures of a craftsman is how well he can work around surprises/mistakes Looks great.

I just got back an hour or so ago from Home Depot, gathering some materials for a test box. I'm going to try some 1x12 pine, just to install and measure drivers.
              Oh yeah, these are for my Deadhorse project, as in, it's been kicked over and over for far too long lol. :o

Originally posted by Steve Henry View Post
              Good save!:D
              I know, I must have yelled every word in the book when I realized I had glued it up wrong, lol. I scared the cat off

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
              return to the source
              leviathan system thread
              deadhorse thread
              shockwave build thread

Comment

Sorry for the belated "Welcome Back" and "Thank You"!
                Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                  Sorry for the belated "Welcome Back" and "Thank You"!
                  No prob. Thanks.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                  return to the source
                  leviathan system thread
                  deadhorse thread
                  shockwave build thread

Comment

Alright, I fought with myself for a few minutes on whether or not I should cut the baffle to go inside and screw it down, or to screw it down from the outside, and I decided my table saw wasn't really up to the task, so the blocks in the corners are going in flush with the sides.

Attached Files

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                    return to the source
                    leviathan system thread
                    deadhorse thread
                    shockwave build thread

Comment

Aaaaaand a second block, if I had more clamps (more in the mail as we speak) I'd be getting this done ahelluvalot faster.

Attached Files

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                      return to the source
                      leviathan system thread
                      deadhorse thread
                      shockwave build thread

Comment

Alright, a little update.

I've got a block in each corner now, and I think I'm going to use some scraps I have and cut out 2 new baffles to cover the entire front of the speaker.

I still haven't decided which (front or rear) baffle is going to be removable. I need to figure that out, and I need some #8-32 machine screws becuase I have a bag of #8-32 hurricane nuts. I'll glue them into the back of the "hard maple" blocks...

I have to wait on the clamps I ordered to get here, so I can clamp the baffle down to drill it and whatnot... Possibly some updates this weekend.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                        return to the source
                        leviathan system thread
                        deadhorse thread
                        shockwave build thread

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                          Alright, a little update.

I've got a block in each corner now, and I think I'm going to use some scraps I have and cut out 2 new baffles to cover the entire front of the speaker.

I still haven't decided which (front or rear) baffle is going to be removable. I need to figure that out, and I need some #8-32 machine screws becuase I have a bag of #8-32 hurricane nuts. I'll glue them into the back of the "hard maple" blocks...

I have to wait on the clamps I ordered to get here, so I can clamp the baffle down to drill it and whatnot... Possibly some updates this weekend.
                          Lookin' good man!

At least panel resonance won't be an issue!

Are these for one specific build or might you use them for testing future projects as well? I've thought about making a test box with removable baffles with different size holes for various size drivers, ports, etc. but haven't done it yet.

TomZ
                          Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Something's wrong, something doesn't add up.

Where's the ice and snow on the floor of the garage?:eek:

Nice to see you building something!
                            I use the same method when gluing up double-thick baffles.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                              Something's wrong, something doesn't add up.

Where's the ice and snow on the floor of the garage?:eek:

Nice to see you building something!
                              I use the same method when gluing up double-thick baffles.
                              Heated Garage ;D

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                              Lookin' good man!

At least panel resonance won't be an issue!

Are these for one specific build or might you use them for testing future projects as well? I've thought about making a test box with removable baffles with different size holes for various size drivers, ports, etc. but haven't done it yet.

TomZ
                              These are specifically for my "Deadhorse" Project, write-up pending when/if I ever finish them haha.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                              return to the source
                              leviathan system thread
                              deadhorse thread
                              shockwave build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X