Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exodous Anarchy...

Guys,
    I have been on the fence for building two of these for my theater...(rather largish full open basement...)
    Right now,I have the original Dayton 10 in. "Tiny Mighty". For whatever reason, (I must have some "good" room gain) it holds up well and impresses me when I am able to turn it up...Would I notice any improvement over the 10 in sub?
    In my head, I keep hearing the old addage..."No replacement for displacement..."
    My plan is, to place them under my screen, (which is the current location of the Dayton...seems to give me my best SQ), as a fabricated "stage" area...
    As the Exodous is on sale, and Erich is gearing up for another run of Flat Packs...I feel this is the time...
    Also, which "Rack Mountable" amp to run two of these? as a Plate does not seem to be in the build plans for mounting?
    for anyone who has built one...Thanks in advance
    If I can't afford it...I don't need it

Re: Exodous Anarchy...

I assume you are talking about the tapped horn?

No replacement for displacement is generally true but not complete. The way the car guys say it is "There's no replacement for displacement except being blown". The horn guys say "There's no displacement for displacement except for horn loading."

You can simulate both the Anarachy horn and your current sub and compare to get most of the answer. But don't forget that horns generally suffer much less from power compression (and also the driver is very well ventilated in a tapped horn) and don't suffer at all from port compression, so the simulation won't quite tell the whole story.

Horns sound cleaner (less distortion) but that may be a huge disappointment for most people that actually like the higher levels of distortion from ported or sealed boxes. It's not unpleasant distortion, it sounds fuller and thumpier.

The Anarchy horn (a single horn) will probably be similar in max spl output to a ported 10 inch sub (as long as they are roughly the same size and tuning) but they will sound different and the complexity of build is much different (although the flat pack would even that out a great deal). Don't quote me on that though, I'm not familiar with your sub (the driver or the enclosure).

It all depends if you want to try a horn or not, there's no such thing as better unless you clearly define your goals.

With such low tuning power handling is relatively low for these horns, you won't need any special amps to drive them.

Just FYI, I've never heard the Anarchy horn but I've done several horns (front loaded and tapped) with the tang band w6-1139.
    Don't even try
    to sort out the lies
    it's worse to try to understand.

Comment

I have two at work as subs/speaker stands. You know that they are only good down to 25hz? I use an old Kenwood M1A, 110 watts per. Recommended power etc is in the thread at AVS forum.

And you better have some weights if you build the flat packs with construction adhesive. Took two 80 lb aircraft batteries and six cases of oil to properly squeeze out the adhesive. Using clamps tended to warp the project, weights work much better, over a cardboard layer over a flat cement floor.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
        I have two at work as subs/speaker stands. You know that they are only good down to 25hz? I use an old Kenwood M1A, 110 watts per. Recommended power etc is in the thread at AVS forum.

And you better have some weights if you build the flat packs with construction adhesive. Took two 80 lb aircraft batteries and six cases of oil to properly squeeze out the adhesive. Using clamps tended to warp the project, weights work much better, over a cardboard layer over a flat cement floor.
        To attach the final side on a horn I put a larger speaker (or sometimes even a table but anything solid and sturdy will do) on top of it and clamp the whole thing down to the table. Flattening it down with just weights will require an extreme amount of weight in the middle and it still might not lie completely flat. You really have to squeeze it down tight and even over it's whole surface.
        Don't even try
        to sort out the lies

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
          I have yet to have a properly cut and joined edge not seal properly with Tightbond wood glue.

Comment

That would work also. I would say I used an extreme amount of weight. They turned out fine. I built them in three steps. First the internal horn pieces onto one side, weighted with the other side positioned but not glued, weighted overnight. Next, the external pieces, same procedure. Then the other side with weight over the entire area. The batteries are about one cubic foot, and the oil was stacked in two stacks of three. Covered the entire side and the boxes turned out flat, no bulges. Time consuming but simple.

Comment

diy speaker guy,
              Yes the Anarchy TH designed by lilmike...
              I am really looking for the smallish footprint of the 6.5 in, and I guessed the increased spl from two of them would help...As far as I know the TB was substituted in a version of the same box...
              Here is the link for the original Dayton 10 inch sub...downfiring, ******** port in the front....
              I was actually thinking that if I was not quite happy, I could augment by adding the Dayton back in to the mix, at the rear of the room...

djg,
              Thanks for the build tips...
              I am aware that they only reach down to 25 hz, but that is where I am at now...
              I (as far as I know...) don't need subsonic range...maybe if I had an actual theater that had better soundproofing...

Comment

Originally posted by jinjuku View Post
                I have yet to have a properly cut and joined edge not seal properly with Tightbond wood glue.
                For horns, at least the final panel, it's highly recommended to use PL Premium or Liquid Nails or similar product. It needs to be well sealed inside, in areas that you will never be able to reach again. I don't know of anyone that uses wood glue for attaching the final panel on a horn. If you can do it (and be confident it's done right) you are a far more skilled man than me.
                Don't even try
                to sort out the lies

Comment

The recommended procedure in building a horn like this or a Fitzmaurice design is to use construction adhesive. The internal joints are not accessible after construction, and a leak will affect performance significantly. Better safe than sorry. The flat packs that Erich H sells are precise and probably wouldn't leak. People are of course free to build as they please, I just am passing on the conventional wisdom of DIY horn construction. And it's how I did it with these and my Fitz Table Tuba.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin G. View Post
                    diy speaker guy,
                    Yes the Anarchy TH designed by lilmike...
                    I am really looking for the smallish footprint of the 6.5 in, and I guessed the increased spl from two of them would help...As far as I know the TB was substituted in a version of the same box...
                    Here is the link for the original Dayton 10 inch sub...downfiring, ******** port in the front....
                    I was actually thinking that if I was not quite happy, I could augment by adding the Dayton back in to the mix, at the rear of the room...
                    The anarchy might have a smaller footprint but it's actually larger than your sub. I'd guess they would be similar in output, but that's just a guess, I don't have any real specs on your sub and no time to model both boxes. If you want to try a horn I say go for it. Otherwise, there are easier ways to go. Any alignment can be shaped such that it has a small footprint.
                    Don't even try
                    to sort out the lies

Comment

Then load the joint up with glue and the natural squeeze out should take care of it.

From what I have seen with horn designs is that they are often dado'd.

Comment

Then load the joint up with glue and the natural squeeze out should take care of it.

From what I have seen with horn designs is that they are often dado'd.
                        I prefer the ease of mind that PL Premium provides. I never dado anything, but the flat packs might be dado'd.

It's takes a pinpoint sized air leak to ruin a horn.

EDIT - Didn't see djg's post until after I posted this. He's right.
                        Don't even try
                        to sort out the lies

Comment

Originally posted by diy speaker guy View Post
                          The anarchy might have a smaller footprint but it's actually larger than your sub. I'd guess they would be similar in output, but that's just a guess, I don't have any real specs on your sub and no time to model both boxes. If you want to try a horn I say go for it. Otherwise, there are easier ways to go. Any alignment can be shaped such that it has a small footprint.
                          Agreed, but the Dayton is a cube, and as such, sticks up in to the border of my screen, around a half an inch...
                          If I lay the Anarchy TH on their side, It will effectively give me a "stage area" feel...(WAF and all that)
                          I was looking at the TTLP from Fitzmaurice, but it was too large as well...and although I would love to have the headroom, and the lower sonics, I have to be realistic, as it is not a "dedicated theater" and definitely not soundproof.
                          I prefer SQ over SPL, and hope this will be a stepping stone to other "builds"

Comment

The flat packs are dadoed. They also have some joints that are not exactly 90 degrees, but have the wood cut at 90 degrees. They are designed to be used with construction adhesive. If you make your own pieces, you can of course cut the pieces at 88 or 89 degrees as needed. Actually, upon further plans viewing, it appears only three joints are not 90 degrees.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by djg; 02-07-2012, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Is this the original thread for the design that you're talking about:
                              http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...pped-horn.html

Comment

Working...
                              X