Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
    I've found that if you get tangled up with a sim, first, make a CSP file with only the vital info (x,y,z measurements, effective diameters, etc) then stop and close it. Then pick it up a day or 2 later and start over.

I ususally start super simple, and work my way up very methodically. This one I had to [attempt to] flatten out both drivers' impedances, then FR, and once that was done, implementing textbook crossovers pretty much nets you what you're looking for. That said, there's 17 essential parts to this crossover :eek: I was actually able to knock 2 off the tweeter.
    That's pretty much the way I do it. Sometimes leave it, and come back a few days later and try something totally different. For instance, I've got an MTM design with a very nice reverse null (LR2 / B3 electrical), but I'm going to try a resim with a B3/B3 for off axis smoothness. I'll usually try with/without a zobel - so far haven't needed one.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Alright, I got the majority of the of the pieces in the mail today, save 1 inductor and 2 caps, all on backorder :(

I'm going to buy a digital micrometer so I can measure the parts and use Emachineshop to develope a good layout!

I'll try to hook them up with some parts I have on hand that can be subbed in and get some measurements

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Alright, I got the majority of the of the pieces in the mail today, save 1 inductor and 2 caps, all on backorder :(

I'm going to buy a digital micrometer so I can measure the parts and use Emachineshop to develope a good layout!

I'll try to hook them up with some parts I have on hand that can be subbed in and get some measurements
        Ok, that crossover, for some reason, was absolute garbage, and I don't even want to talk about it. I honestly don't know what happened.

BUT, I've spent almost the past 2 weeks working on a better, the best yet, crossover. Here's the response, notice the 1dB scale ;)

Attached Files

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
        return to the source
        leviathan system thread
        deadhorse thread
        shockwave build thread

Comment

I am betting there are less components in this xo? Looking good. How does it sound?

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
            I am betting there are less components in this xo? Looking good. How does it sound?
            ........21?

It doesn't sound just yet, I need to order more parts :o

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
            return to the source
            leviathan system thread
            deadhorse thread
            shockwave build thread

Comment

........21?

It doesn't sound just yet, I need to order more parts :o
              :eek: My 3ways only have 20 parts. I take it you are still trying to flatten the impedance? Just curious as I thought the drivers should be easy to work with.

Comment

Zobel, 2 notches and [electrical] 3rd order crossovers on each driver :rolleyes:

Really if I could, I'd implement another 2 notches on the tweeter's humps.

Buuuuut, I still have to order parts and measure, measure, measure. I tried pretty much every type of measurement I could, save outdoor, becuase it's still below 0*F here, and I'm just tired of being cold (going on 3 years...), but I think I finally got my measurements to work for me.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                return to the source
                leviathan system thread
                deadhorse thread
                shockwave build thread

Comment

Zobel, 2 notches and [electrical] 3rd order crossovers on each driver :rolleyes:

Really if I could, I'd implement another 2 notches on the tweeter's humps.

Buuuuut, I still have to order parts and measure, measure, measure. I tried pretty much every type of measurement I could, save outdoor, becuase it's still below 0*F here, and I'm just tired of being cold (going on 3 years...), but I think I finally got my measurements to work for me.
                  Huh, Arizona weather in SoDak this weekend. Sunny, dry and in the 80's. Went for two runs, made a pile of sawdust...
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                    Huh, Arizona weather in SoDak this weekend. Sunny, dry and in the 80's. Went for two runs, made a pile of sawdust...
                    Oh, so THAT'S what happened to our sunshine :p It's been rainy, cloudy, and cold here for the last two days.....

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                      I wish I liked to run. I only run when I have a pt test haha, I need someone to make me run

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                      return to the source
                      leviathan system thread
                      deadhorse thread
                      shockwave build thread

Comment

I think something is wrong. I have 3 pairs of the Vifa truncated BC25 tweeters and 1 pair of the "square" of the Vifa BC25's, and the Vifa FR graphs are a lot better than you're getting. My quick and dirty mic in Speaker Workshop reads them better too. If this isn't your tweet, then ignore me. I don't know a thing about your Peerless mid-woofer...sorry. I always think if it looks too complicated, maybe it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                          I think something is wrong. I have 3 pairs of the Vifa truncated BC25 tweeters and 1 pair of the "square" of the Vifa BC25's, and the Vifa FR graphs are a lot better than you're getting. My quick and dirty mic in Speaker Workshop reads them better too. If this isn't your tweet, then ignore me. I don't know a thing about your Peerless mid-woofer...sorry. I always think if it looks too complicated, maybe it is.
                          Remember Grey posted a 1 dB sim from PCD.

Grey
                          I really would not worry about those little 1-2dB wiggles. If it measures that flat, you should be good to go.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                            Remember Grey posted a 1 dB sim from PCD.

Grey
                            I really would not worry about those little 1-2dB wiggles. If it measures that flat, you should be good to go.
                            Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                            Yeah this is a buyout from 2 years ago almost, now, it's a Tymphany DU0188 made to be mounted in a port on a certain "Austrian" speaker company. My original sims weren't very far off with a similar Vifa tweeter. I just had to get my measurement setup worked out.

And yes, that graph is in 1dB increments. With an FRD file and excel I determined that from 100Hz to 20kHz, it's better than +/- 1.75dB

I just hope it measures that way, too. I'm moving into an apartment next week with a guy I work with, so all my funds I've saved are being used on that, it'll be the 1st until I might be able to order parts.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                            return to the source
                            leviathan system thread
                            deadhorse thread
                            shockwave build thread

Comment

I got some wood cut today for a pair of enclosures, hopefully I glue them together correctly.

Brought to you by Sawstop, the cool sled that the woodshop guy made, and my buddy with an F-150

:D

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                              return to the source
                              leviathan system thread
                              deadhorse thread
                              shockwave build thread

Comment

I'll get back to working on this when I get home. Shipping will be free :D

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                                return to the source
                                leviathan system thread
                                deadhorse thread
                                shockwave build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X