X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donradick
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jun 2006

Re: Deadhorse Build Thread

Remarkably flat, dude - wow! Not bad at all for your first design, first sim, and first measurements.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

• greywarden
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by donradick
      Remarkably flat, dude - wow! Not bad at all for your first design, first sim, and first measurements.
      Yep, I was both suprised and excited. I'll work on it some more this weekend.

Originally posted by johnnyrichards
      Looks like your sims were withing 3 or 4 db, good job from going blind
      I was really suprised, I even used a tweeter that wasn't my tweeter, haha! I'll try to swap out some parts and work that dip out, then it'll pretty much be ready to go

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

• greywarden
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Sep 2010

Had a sh!tty day at work, so I decided to waste the rest of my day kicking this deadhorse some more :D

REAL MEASUREMENTS - UNSMOOTHED

This crossover is pretty much finished.

Attached Files

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
        return to the source
        leviathan system thread
        deadhorse thread
        shockwave build thread

Comment

• donradick
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Jun 2006

I just love it when I can measure a deep reverse null. So.... How do they sound? Smooth? Solid center image?

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

• greywarden
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Sep 2010

Well, I have to order a few crossover parts. I have about half of the parts required for that crossover. Currently, there's a 5dB dip that starts around 4kHz to 6kHz and the tweeter peaks at 12kHz or so.

It sounded ok to me, but that shows my newb-ishness :o

I also finally got my bronco running again, so I'll be able to buy and cut some wood soon

[EDIT]: Now that I'm looking at it more, I think I'm going to try for a lower crossover point than 4.8kHz or so, since that tweeter can be crossed as low as 2.6Khz or so.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
            return to the source
            leviathan system thread
            deadhorse thread
            shockwave build thread

Comment

• greywarden
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Sep 2010

Alright, better crossover, better impedance, better impedance phase.... Just better.

Both drivers are showing about 2.5-2.6kHz 5th Order Butterworth slopes, off-axis Sim is AMAZING :D

The 5kHz dip is in all the tweeter measurements I've taken, I'm 90% sure of the cause and it's being fixed, tweeter was mounted badly. :o And the 10kHz peak has been in every measurement in the basement I've ever taken, can't figure out what the f*ck it is, and it's driving me insane.

Attached Files

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
              return to the source
              leviathan system thread
              deadhorse thread
              shockwave build thread

Comment

• scottq
                • Dec 2005

You're bringing these to SEC DIY 2012, right?!? :D
                SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
                Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
                SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
                SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

• greywarden
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Sep 2010

I can be back home as early as July 8th and as late as the beginning of September, so we'll see, hopefully I can!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                  return to the source
                  leviathan system thread
                  deadhorse thread
                  shockwave build thread

Comment

• killa
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Jan 2006

Is that dip in the raw measurements also or is it there after the xo is added?

Comment

• greywarden
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Sep 2010

It's in both measurements. I bought a Forstner bit that was for another driver, but thought the hole would be the correct size and it definitely wasn't, so one screw went halfway into the sidewall of the hole and the other screw was inside the hole, neither one of them were actually in the wood. But the Impedance sweep said it was sealed, probably because I put some thick gasket foam on the back of the tweeter.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                      return to the source
                      leviathan system thread
                      deadhorse thread
                      shockwave build thread

Comment

• killa
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Jan 2006

Do both the tweeter and woofer have a dip in the same spot? Have you calibrated your mic and soundcard? I would check the measurements against others to see if they also have a dip otherwise calibration may be off for some reason. At least that would be my guess.

Comment

• donradick
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by greywarden
                          Alright, better crossover, better impedance, better impedance phase.... Just better.

Both drivers are showing about 2.5-2.6kHz 5th Order Butterworth slopes, off-axis Sim is AMAZING :D

The 5kHz dip is in all the tweeter measurements I've taken, I'm 90% sure of the cause and it's being fixed, tweeter was mounted badly. :o And the 10kHz peak has been in every measurement in the basement I've ever taken, can't figure out what the f*ck it is, and it's driving me insane.

Very nice sim - I find that even if I have real problems getting a sim to "line up", a couple of hours playing with it usually fixes things (along with reading Wolfs pages) . Ok, boyo - the sim looks pretty good, but what are the measurements? BTW, I've often had dips around 5-7 K that "shouldn't" have been there. Thought about using some felt around the tweeter (ala DLR) to see if it was diffraction.

BTW, congrats on the Bronco fix. I've spent many a freezing night under a car.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

• greywarden
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by killa
                            Do both the tweeter and woofer have a dip in the same spot? Have you calibrated your mic and soundcard? I would check the measurements against others to see if they also have a dip otherwise calibration may be off for some reason. At least that would be my guess.
                            The woofer breakup actually peaks at 5kHz, so that's why I'm about 90% sure it's the way the tweeter was mounted.

I'm going to go ahead and try to clean up the garage and start building the enclosures this weekend. Here's what I plan to build:

9.875" Wide x 15.5" Tall x 15.5" Deep (actual enclosure will be 8.25L), crossover mounted in the rear enclosure.

Attached Files

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                            return to the source
                            leviathan system thread
                            deadhorse thread
                            shockwave build thread

Comment

• greywarden
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by donradick
                              Very nice sim - I find that even if I have real problems getting a sim to "line up", a couple of hours playing with it usually fixes things (along with reading Wolfs pages) . Ok, boyo - the sim looks pretty good, but what are the measurements? BTW, I've often had dips around 5-7 K that "shouldn't" have been there. Thought about using some felt around the tweeter (ala DLR) to see if it was diffraction.

BTW, congrats on the Bronco fix. I've spent many a freezing night under a car.
                              I've found that if you get tangled up with a sim, first, make a CSP file with only the vital info (x,y,z measurements, effective diameters, etc) then stop and close it. Then pick it up a day or 2 later and start over.

I ususally start super simple, and work my way up very methodically. This one I had to [attempt to] flatten out both drivers' impedances, then FR, and once that was done, implementing textbook crossovers pretty much nets you what you're looking for. That said, there's 17 essential parts to this crossover :eek: I was actually able to knock 2 off the tweeter.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                              return to the source
                              leviathan system thread
                              deadhorse thread
                              shockwave build thread

Comment

• killa
                                Seasoned Veteran
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by greywarden
                                I've found that if you get tangled up with a sim, first, make a CSP file with only the vital info (x,y,z measurements, effective diameters, etc) then stop and close it. Then pick it up a day or 2 later and start over.

I ususally start super simple, and work my way up very methodically. This one I had to [attempt to] flatten out both drivers' impedances, then FR, and once that was done, implementing textbook crossovers pretty much nets you what you're looking for. That said, there's 17 essential parts to this crossover :eek: I was actually able to knock 2 off the tweeter.
                                I thought there were a lot of xo parts. Now I know why. :D

Comment

Working...