Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emotiva X-Ref speakers.

Link.

Looks like another manufacturer pushing the envelope on entry level stuff. Not the prettiest car at the track, but under the hood it looks pretty good, all things considered. Pity about the lack of roundovers on the baffle, though.

The drivers are advertised as having "cast frame blended-pulp cone mid/woofers with butyl surrounds, copper clad pole pieces, and aluminum shorting rings".

Interesting. Wonder if they would sell to the DIY crowd

Crossovers do not appear to be total junk, either.

They are at the price point where DIY decidedly starts pulling away, but just from the sales propaganda and Emotiva's reputation I would probably not hesitate to recommend these to someone unwilling or unable to build something themselves.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: Emotiva X-Ref speakers.

Funny, because if I posted a thread like this, you'd jump down my throat. Kind of sad really...

Comment

Originally posted by ridikas View Post
      Funny, because if I posted a thread like this, you'd jump down my throat. Kind of sad really...
      Do you see the difference in my post, and one of yours?
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Johnny I was really hoping someone would bring these up. I didn't want to be the one to do A: because this is a DIYcentric site and B: I doubt I'll ever be able to afford speakers in that range so it's somewhat moot.

I will say most boutique speakers end up leaving me wanting and seem to be selling more a novelty or bragging right "my speakers cost as much as your car" who cares? But with Emotiva's reputation if their same dedication to quality could carry over to speakers I'd be very interested to see how they sound. I just hope, like many companies before them, that they are not just trading on their name, as IMO that will only bring down their reputation.

Comment

I've been looking at these for a budget install for a buddy of mine. Like you say, given Emotivas reputation and the price point on these they are very tempting. They are definitely priced lower than what I think a decent DIY design would cost using similar drivers. I would love to hear someones thoughts who has actually heard these!

-j

Comment

Originally posted by jcpahman77 View Post
            I just hope, like many companies before them, that they are not just trading on their name,
            Of course that's what they're doing . . . trading on their name. Another "line" of two-way boxes. Maybe they sound OK (for a line of two-way boxes). There are lots of such, more or less the same, trading on whatever "name" they have. The "specifications" are so boilerplate that you could use the same copy for half the speaker "lines" in the Crutchfield catalog. The claims are all the same, too. Same dogfood, different can.

You can buy a HTIB at CostCo too . . . every month a different "brand", maybe a different color box, maybe a different shape. Maybe some month it will be "Emotiva". Any reason to believe it's better than the one from last month, or next? How would one know . . . the advertising copy all reads the same. I'd believe something had carried over from Emotiva's "electronics" side if these things were active. But instead I see the "wired for biwiring/biamplification" claim, and know that the electronics guys are laughing up their sleeves . . .
            "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

Originally posted by Deward Hastings View Post
              Of course that's what they're doing . . . trading on their name. Another "line" of two-way boxes. Maybe they sound OK (for a line of two-way boxes). There are lots of such, more or less the same, trading on whatever "name" they have. The "specifications" are so boilerplate that you could use the same copy for half the speaker "lines" in the Crutchfield catalog. The claims are all the same, too. Same dogfood, different can.

You can buy a HTIB at CostCo too . . . every month a different "brand", maybe a different color box, maybe a different shape. Maybe some month it will be "Emotiva". Any reason to believe it's better than the one from last month, or next? How would one know . . . the advertising copy all reads the same. I'd believe something had carried over from Emotiva's "electronics" side if these things were active. But instead I see the "wired for biwiring/biamplification" claim, and know that the electronics guys are laughing up their sleeves . . .
              While I agree with a lot of your statement, the only tangible difference from others would be the Vance Dickason design/voicing etc., that some may or may not like. But at least someone with extensive DIY skills was involved.
              Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

I would like to think that there is a considerable difference between emotiva and the crap sold at costco or HTIB setups. Then again I retain judgement on most speakers until I have heard them.

Comment

I have never been able to find reviews on Emotiva speakers. I don't get it. They are good at pre-amps, amps and subs.

Are the speakers just so so?

The older, nicer looking line is on clearance, but again, I've never seen any gleaming reviews.

Some of the cheaper stuff might be worth trying out.

Comment

Originally posted by Albe23 View Post
                    I would like to think that there is a considerable difference between emotiva and the crap sold at costco or HTIB setups.
                    You can, of course, "like to think" anything you want. But do you have any *reason* to believe that emotiva speakers are going to be any better than those from Yamaha, or Pioneer, or Panasonic? They have engineers and designers too (and build pretty good "electronics") . . . and have many years of speaker building experience. And the "don't recognize that brand" products may represent the work of designers every bit as good as those that emotiva hired to do their speaker line.

Could you explain what's different, or "special", about these speakers?
                    "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

If anyone really wants to know, they could just ask Emotiva. They have great support and they also offer a 30 day in home trial (excluding clearance items).

As far as I know, all of Emo's products are designed in house. While I have zero experience with their speakers, their subs are good and on sale, a great bargain too.

It wouldn't really fit their business model if their speakers were not better then average. Not to say it can't happen, but I would be surprised if they were just okay.

Comment

Originally posted by generic View Post
                        I have never been able to find reviews on Emotiva speakers. I don't get it. They are good at pre-amps, amps and subs.

Are the speakers just so so?

The older, nicer looking line is on clearance, but again, I've never seen any gleaming reviews.

Some of the cheaper stuff might be worth trying out.
                        Here is a pretty decent review: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blo...x-ref-speakers

Comment

Originally posted by Deward Hastings View Post
                          You can, of course, "like to think" anything you want. But do you have any *reason* to believe that emotiva speakers are going to be any better than those from Yamaha, or Pioneer, or Panasonic? They have engineers and designers too (and build pretty good "electronics") . . . and have many years of speaker building experience. And the "don't recognize that brand" products may represent the work of designers every bit as good as those that emotiva hired to do their speaker line.

Could you explain what's different, or "special", about these speakers?
                          My reason would be my experience with their electronics side and the pride/passion/quality they take in that realm. They have a quite loyal fan base, something the other guys really don't have anymore. Thus, I would reason they would carry that same pride into their speakers. There would be an uproar from their fans if the speakers were only so-so. But, it is an amplifier company making speakers and your argument holds water as well.

Comment

I want to hear these http://www.emotivapro.com/products/powered_monitors/

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                              +1

Comment

Working...
                              X