Bookshelf ideas under $300pr, maybe Aviatrix or Zaph ZA5 MTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bookshelf ideas under $300pr, maybe Aviatrix or Zaph ZA5 MTM

I am considering doing my first real speaker project. I have been around here for years and have built subwoofers before. As a starting point I want to start with a kit and in time I will want to move on to designing my own projects with crossovers. Right now I don't want to spend more than $300 per pair. I hope to use these in my living room/HT. After a few months I will want to build a center channel that will match these well. My first thoughts were to do the Aviatrix project or the ZA5 MTM kit by Zaph Audio. Does anyone have any idea about how these would compare?

Re: Bookshelf ideas under $300pr, maybe Aviatrix or Zaph ZA5 MTM

You may find this helpful:

Note:
    Some information may be incorrect/incomplete.
    You can ignore the TM tower suggestions if you wish to.

Prices in all cases include shipping, in some cases also include optional accessories like binding posts and hookup wire.
    Last edited by djkest; 02-14-2012, 02:49 PM. Reason: Added a new updated image
    -Dan
    Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

The Swope HT system sounds about right. Price/performance is high, the MTM is in your price range, and there's a center, MT, and 3-way design if you wanted to upgrade your mains later on.

http://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/swope-ht

The 3-way can be found here:
      http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=39369

Kits are available from Meniscus for ease of ordering. I'm sure they'd be happy to kit any of his designs for you.
      http://meniscusaudio.com/advanced_se...keywords=swope

Comment

I would add Zaph's BAMTM. The woofers are dirt cheap on sale right now, and the crossover is simple & easy to assemble.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...-335&FTR=da175
        Last edited by Steve Henry; 02-14-2012, 02:33 PM. Reason: addl info
        Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
          You may find this helpful:

Note:
          Some information may be incorrect/incomplete.
          You can ignore the TM tower suggestions if you wish to.

Prices in all cases include shipping, in some cases also include optional accessories like binding posts and hookup wire.
          Is this "database" online anywhere? It looks like it would be great information you have compiled!

-Nate

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Henry View Post
            I would add Zaph's BAMTM. The woofers are dirt cheap on sale right now, and the crossover is simple & easy to assemble.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...-335&FTR=da175
            Isn't that tweeter NLA though?

Originally posted by smithnc View Post
            Is this "database" online anywhere? It looks like it would be great information you have compiled!

-Nate
            Thanks. It's just something I put together. I tried to guesstimate sensitivity and bass extension on these designs, but I hid those columns as to not embarass myself...
            -Dan
            Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

I built a set of Swope MTM's and am happy with them. I turned them into towers so I wouldn't need stands, but I used Mr. Carmody's crossover and tuning and all that. I just made them extra tall with the speaker in a sub-enclosure on top. I will eventually use the bottom sections as subwoofer housings. I was going to tweak them into a 3 way design but I can't justify screwing them up just as a learning experiment because they sound so good as is. I have about $250 into them, including materials for (2) 4 ft tall towers, glue, screws, spikes, binding posts, et cetera. They sound great into the ~45 hz range.

Edit to add:

I screwed up the baffles on mine, making the M5A's too close together. I'm not sure if this has hurt the sound at all, but if it did they sure do still sound damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
                Isn't that tweeter NLA though?

Thanks. It's just something I put together. I tried to guesstimate sensitivity and bass extension on these designs, but I hid those columns as to not embarass myself...
                I noticed that the tweeter isn't sold anymore and I can't find where anyone has found a replacement.

Comment

It looks like the BAMTM and especially the Swopes are preferred over the Aviatrix or the Zaphaudio ZA5's.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffKnob25 View Post
                    It looks like the BAMTM and especially the Swopes are preferred over the Aviatrix or the Zaphaudio ZA5's.
                    I'd recommend the Avaitrix over the ZA5 due to the better tweeter. I've heard and enjoyed both but my preference of the two would be Aviatrix. I've not heard the BAMTM so can't make a comparison between the Aviatrix and it.

Take it easy
                    Jay
                    "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
                    Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
                    Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
                    Levitation TM
                    - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

The Sietecerocero may fit the bill also.
                      diVine Audio

Comment

I like the idea of doing the Black Box.

http://stories.parts-express.com/sto...2/redirect.htm

It is over budget especially with the crossover components used. Can cheaper components be used with the same values?

I guess I am drawn to the idea of a 3way design. I am thinking that the midrange would be really nice with this and with the 10" woofer, the mid-bass can be strong.

Can the non-shielded RS270 be used since the shielded isn't made anymore?

If the RS270 can be substituted and cheaper crossover components can be used I would really consider this. It might take me a little longer to complete to fit into my budget.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffKnob25 View Post
                          I like the idea of doing the Black Box.

http://stories.parts-express.com/sto...2/redirect.htm

It is over budget especially with the crossover components used. Can cheaper components be used with the same values?

I guess I am drawn to the idea of a 3way design. I am thinking that the midrange would be really nice with this and with the 10" woofer, the mid-bass can be strong.

Can the non-shielded RS270 be used since the shielded isn't made anymore?

If the RS270 can be substituted and cheaper crossover components can be used I would really consider this. It might take me a little longer to complete to fit into my budget.
                          I wouldn't build the black box. Extremely complex crossover, expensive... dunno.

Can the woofer be substituted? Yes, but this crossover was designed with a special filter for the shielded woofer- might not work as advertised.

Can cheaper components be used: Absolutely. If you go cheaper on the inductors, you have to make sure and keep DCR similar. The caps can be cheaper as well, Dayton Poly caps are a good value. Mills resistors are cool but you dont' "need" them.

If you are thinking that size/price range, it opens up a whole new world of awesome.

I also saw a build recently with 2 dayton reference 6" or 7" drivers in a 2.5 TMM design with the Dayton RS28 tweeter.. can't think of the name- that would have copious bass.

But really you'd be better served making normal bookshelf speakers and a small well designed subwoofer if you want lots o bass.
                          -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by TommyRocker View Post
                            I built a set of Swope MTM's and am happy with them.
                            How do you like them for music? I'm interested in them (or trying to roll my own different design with help...) and I've built a previous design of Paul's and continue to be very happy with them (Orient Express, parts of which are NLA) but wonder if the Swope is more of an HT project and less aimed at music.

Still a Paul C fan either way so I'm interested in what you think.

Comment

Looks like the Black Box could be built for $700-800 a pair using more standard crossover parts.
                              -Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X