Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee table subwoofer?... help me decide if this makes sense...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee table subwoofer?... help me decide if this makes sense...

Here's my living room, if you can call it that... it's one corner of the main room in my loft space apartment... the entire room is about 30' x 30' x 18'

The sealed RSS315 shown here may or may not remain in the system... maybe as an end table between the couch and the wall?... I dunno...

I'm about to build a 2.5 cu ft vented sub to take an RSS315, and I'm considering making a coffee table out of it, which would obviously sit right in front of the couch here.

Would this work well?

I know, I know, it's probably tough to tell unless I experimented with placement of the sub... obviously I won't have that luxury...

But what's your hunch? How well do subs typically work when placed significantly far away from any walls?

Thanks

Re: Coffee table subwoofer?... help me decide if this makes sense...

BTW, here you see the SR71's that will shortly become The Bombers... the stands seen here will be replaced by the RS270 woofer cabinets...

Comment

Lunchmoney,

Could you borrow a sub and try it out in that spot first? I'm just thinking I'd hate to build it into a coffee table if that location didn't work well in the room since it's not as flexible as say an end table that could be on either side of the couch or beside a chair along the wall if those locations worked out better.

Take it easy
      Jay
      "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
      Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
      Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
      Levitation TM
      - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

I suppose I could simply use the sealed RSS315 to experiment.

Part of the challenge is that I'm making the sub out of a big 15" POS Pioneer monkey coffin cabinet I found on the sidewalk... Proportions all wrong for an end table.

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
          I'm about to build a 2.5 cu ft vented sub to take an RSS315, and I'm considering making a coffee table out of it, which would obviously sit right in front of the couch here.

Would this work well?
          No, but not because of the sub. Rather, because of the mains.

Why would anyone want anything between the loudspeakers and the listening position?

That just leads to easily-audible diffraction.

If you want to build the sub into a table, make it an end-table, not a diffraction box.
          --
          "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
            No, but not because of the sub. Rather, because of the mains.

Why would anyone want anything between the loudspeakers and the listening position?

That just leads to easily-audible diffraction.

If you want to build the sub into a table, make it an end-table, not a diffraction box.
            Good point.

But I still want a coffee table :p

Comment

I seriously doubt that you will have any audible diffraction from having a coffee table, wether it be sub or actual table, in front of the couch. If anything the left speaker will exibhit diffraction simply because of its placement.

All that said, I have done a few coffee table subs, and all except for one worked out well. The one that didn't was not due to placement, but the owners expectations being way over the top for what he was asking for originally. I say build it, the cabinet cost you nothing and even upgrading it won't cost very much. Just think of it as a grand experiment. Brace it well as i'm sure that Pioneer cabinet is fairly flimsy.

The best one I built was a HUGE table sub that housed a pair of 12's in a 6thorder BP. Ports fired toward the TV and away from the listening positions. I braced and double walled it. 2 sheets of MDF I believe and about 220 lbs when it was done. No resonance from the cabinet and he could still use it to put a drink on without worry of it falling over.
              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                I seriously doubt that you will have any audible diffraction from having a coffee table, wether it be sub or actual table, in front of the couch.
                Try it. I was resistant, because of the practicality of a coffee table, but it was instantly obvious that losing it was a sonic improvement.

If one cares about how music sounds, one learns to put stuff on end tables instead. (And also to keep the area between the loudspeakers themselves as free from diffraction-causing elements as possible.)
                --
                "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

I've been thinking about doing such a build too. In my case I was thinking about building the Sub box in the style of those huge, upholstered, foot rest/hassock types of coffee tables.

The Sub would be for music only in a medium large room. To compensate for the potential of poor placement, my thinking was to do one of those high output TUBA designs from BFM's site tipped over on it's side.

Comment

WOW, and I thought my room was big.

Here's my living room, if you can call it that... it's one corner of the main room in my loft space apartment... the entire room is about 30' x 30' x 18'
                    An apostrophe with an "s" does not mean plural.

Speaker's IS NOT PLURAL.

Comment

I'll snap some pics later, but I made a coffee table sub to calm the wife. It is a vented box for a Titanic 15. I am sure I could do better with placement but she was tired of the Decware boxes I always had in various places around the room.

I believe the exact comments went something like this, "Honey when can we move out of the frat house and lose these speakers?" Thus the coffee table.

Comment

The sealed RSS315 shown here may or may not remain in the system... maybe as an end table between the couch and the wall?... I dunno...

Would this work well?

I know, I know, it's probably tough to tell unless I experimented with placement of the sub... obviously I won't have that luxury...

But what's your hunch? How well do subs typically work when placed significantly far away from any walls?

Thanks
                        I have built a few round foot stools as big as 40" in diameter. I cut two rounds of MDF and then build them the height I want. I wrap the sides with 1/8" masonite to make the sides sturdy. You could wrap them with multiples of masonite (hard board). Then upholster them and put a foam topper I would be glad to shoot a pic if you like. I just made my daughter one everytime I build one I think these would make great down firing sub enclosures.
                        Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
                        If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

DECWARE has a few designs that are made to be a coffee table.
                          I think Bfitzmorris does too.

Copy one? Use for inspiration?

Comment

Would this work well?
                            If you are talking about the RSS315HF-4, I think you may find 2.5 cubic feet is somewhat insufficient for a vented enclosure. Most of my unibox simulations suggested it was wanting a much larger enclosure. On the plus side it has nice power handling, but it had kind of a funky response curve- still might be decent, and is up 3-5 dB in the 25-50 Hz range. But, you probably already ran simulations so it's probably a moot point.
                            -Dan
                            Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
                              If you are talking about the RSS315HF-4, I think you may find 2.5 cubic feet is somewhat insufficient for a vented enclosure. Most of my unibox simulations suggested it was wanting a much larger enclosure. On the plus side it has nice power handling, but it had kind of a funky response curve- still might be decent, and is up 3-5 dB in the 25-50 Hz range. But, you probably already ran simulations so it's probably a moot point.
                              Look up 'Gossamer'. a 2.7ft^3 box tuned to 27Hz, IIRC. Shawn used a 4" Precision port. I had no thoughts of the box needing to be bigger. Of course- these were with measured T/S specs.

Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X