Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another subwoofer advice thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another subwoofer advice thread

    I want to upgrade my crappy sw so I have to ask the experts.
    My mains are statement monitors and I will build a statement center at some point.

    The use is about 50/50 music/HT (movies/games).

    I have size and budget limitations (~100l internal, <$500).
    With that in mind I was thinking RSS315HF-4 in 100l vented Fb 22Hz with a SA240 or BASH 300.
    Unibox recommends a closed box, but vented looks nice for HT use.

    What would you recommend?
    My Statement monitors
    My Piccolatas
    My LM3886 amp

  • #2
    Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

    Well, I have the subwoofer in question (the RSS315HF-4). I like it a lot within it's limitations. Limitations being power-handling / Xmax and the requirement for a huge box. I like the sound quality but I think I need more/ my amp is too powerful.

    There is an alternative- the RSS315HO-44. It would work best if you bought 2 of them, so now it's really stretching your budget with a 500 watt amplififer.

    How big of a room is it? How loud would you like it?

    2 subs should give you a more even response but maybe that isn't an option (wife).
    2 of the RSS315HO-44's will work in a 120 L box, tuned to 20 Hz, each one can handle 500W.

    Or a single in an "oversized" 80L box tuned to 20 Hz can handle 500W and will do 110 dB at 20 Hz.

    The problem with either of these is that it requires long ports, about 30".

    Another alternative that I really like is the RSS390HF-4 in a sealed box, reaches a little deeper than it's smaller brother the 315. Do you have a preference for sealed vs. ported? The 390 will only really take 300 watts, but the F3 is shifted down about 5 Hz. 100L is still on the "small" side but the Qtc of 0.788 isn't too bad.

    If you do build one of the RSS / HF subs, I would pay attention to the high-pass filter on the amplifier. I have my 315 set at ~23 Hz.
    -Dan
    Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

      Quick Unibox sim of the RSS390HF, it looks like it will only take ~250W before hitting xmax at ~20Hz


      Attached Files
      My Statement monitors
      My Piccolatas
      My LM3886 amp

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

        Is $500 you total budget for materials and all?

        Can you do 2 or 3 smaller subs?

        How about:

        This amp

        http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=248-6700

        Two 315HOs in separate sealed enclosures.

        Or 4 of these

        http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-488

        In two separate duel opposed enclosures.

        And then save up for a minidsp for more eq down the road. That's assuming you have the space for more than 1 enclosure.
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

          Originally posted by Silver1omo View Post
          Quick Unibox sim of the RSS390HF, it looks like it will only take ~250W before hitting xmax at ~20Hz


          That's true if your linear cone overdrive is set to 0. Even at 5% it can take 300W. This also doesn't account for driver impedance vs. amplifier performance. I don't know that heavy stuffing is needed in this case either, all it does is reduce output where you don't want it to.

          There's also the American made DVC subs. Like this guy:
          http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-185
          Works well in an 80L box tuned to 23 Hz. 4" precision port would work great.
          -Dan
          Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

            The iNuke looks interesting, I only have 2 concerns:
            1) Would the sub out of an Onkyo 708 AVR be able to drive it?
            2) It seems to be noisy (fan) and require a fan swap for "home use" (quick google-fu).

            I'm not sure if the wife would like the idea of 2+ subs... :p

            So far it seems like the sealed 100l 390HF with an Oaudio 500 would be good.

            Also from this post it seems like the Infinity 1260w would make a nice 36l sealed sub, 2 of those might be easier to sell to my wife. If I could get a proper way to power them.
            My Statement monitors
            My Piccolatas
            My LM3886 amp

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

              That's my post and I put the wrong power in the message. The Bash 300 will get that design to 109dB so you should be within your plan. It's a really nice looking model with nice sealed F3/F10, low driver cost, small box, etc.

              It really seems like everything you can get from the RSS315 for less money and much smaller box. If you are going to a pair, see what it takes to get a Crown XLS1000 or XLS 1500Drivecore to Mexico. They have RCA inputs and should work fine from your AVR. ZZounds will give a no interest, 4 payment plan. Free shipping in the US so hopefully shipping to Mexico won't be terrible. A fair bit of discussion in "Texan's" recent thread.

              Originally posted by Silver1omo View Post
              The iNuke looks interesting, I only have 2 concerns:
              1) Would the sub out of an Onkyo 708 AVR be able to drive it?
              2) It seems to be noisy (fan) and require a fan swap for "home use" (quick google-fu).

              I'm not sure if the wife would like the idea of 2+ subs... :p

              So far it seems like the sealed 100l 390HF with an Oaudio 500 would be good.

              Also from this post it seems like the Infinity 1260w would make a nice 36l sealed sub, 2 of those might be easier to sell to my wife. If I could get a proper way to power them.
              I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
              OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
              Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
              Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
              Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
              LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

                Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                That's my post and I put the wrong power in the message. The Bash 300 will get that design to 109dB so you should be within your plan. It's a really nice looking model with nice sealed F3/F10, low driver cost, small box, etc.

                It really seems like everything you can get from the RSS315 for less money and much smaller box. If you are going to a pair, see what it takes to get a Crown XLS1000 or XLS 1500Drivecore to Mexico. They have RCA inputs and should work fine from your AVR. ZZounds will give a no interest, 4 payment plan. Free shipping in the US so hopefully shipping to Mexico won't be terrible. A fair bit of discussion in "Texan's" recent thread.
                Thanks for the update. The XLS1000 is about $330 USD in Mexico. That might be doable... Now the problem will be getting the 1260w in/to Mexico.
                My Statement monitors
                My Piccolatas
                My LM3886 amp

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

                  Will Amazon ship? Their driver price was better than anything on Ebay.

                  Originally posted by Silver1omo View Post
                  Thanks for the update. The XLS1000 is about $330 USD in Mexico. That might be doable... Now the problem will be getting the 1260w in/to Mexico.
                  I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                  OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                  Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                  Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                  Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                  LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

                    Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                    Will Amazon ship? Their driver price was better than anything on Ebay.
                    Yes at $50 a piece the end price is $102 + taxes per driver. I'll see if I can find them locally. I saw the 1262w at $100 in a store. I'll see if I can find the 1260w at around that price.

                    The other option is to buy in amazon and ship them to a broker in Laredo, TX. That would be ~$180 for the pair shipped.
                    My Statement monitors
                    My Piccolatas
                    My LM3886 amp

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

                      Would down firing be OK for the 1260w?

                      Edit: using the formula in PE web site the sag would be 3.46% So it is in the "safe zone".
                      Last edited by Silver1omo; 02-23-2012, 01:43 PM.
                      My Statement monitors
                      My Piccolatas
                      My LM3886 amp

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

                        I found the 1262w at ~$83 with 6 months 0% interests financing, so I got 2.
                        They only had 1 in store, so I'll be waiting for the other.

                        Opened the box and inspected it, it looks good, hooked it to the crappy amp that drives my crappy sub and everything seems to be ok.

                        I'll try to get some pics side to side with my current sub.

                        The only "downside" of getting the DVC is that I will really need a 2 Ohms capable amp :p
                        My Statement monitors
                        My Piccolatas
                        My LM3886 amp

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

                          Just had two 1260Ws show up on my door step today... $117 for the pair from Amazon. Can't wait to see what these sound like sealed in a ~36L enclosure running off of my Emo XPA crossed at the pre-amp at around 60Hz.

                          Are you really gonna run those 1262W at two ohms or are you going to run them in series?
                          Jason


                          "In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

                            Not sure yet, I plan to get a Crown XLS-1000 it is supposed to be 2 Ohm stable, so I might try...
                            My Statement monitors
                            My Piccolatas
                            My LM3886 amp

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Another subwoofer advice thread

                              The second sub arrived, I got some speakon plugs and jacks. I'll build one box and test with my current amp.

                              The XLS 1000 will have to wait for my tax return.
                              My Statement monitors
                              My Piccolatas
                              My LM3886 amp

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X