Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New drivers- Motus, available from Solen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New drivers- Motus, available from Solen...

http://www.solen.ca/pub/cms_nf_catalogue.php?man=57

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Re: New drivers- Motus, available from Solen...

That coax is intruiging and the underhung motors definitely look nice and like a lot of attention to detail was paid in their design.

Comment

The Chinese are taking over!!!

Underhung motors, shorting rings, neodymium magnets, vented pole piece, low distortions, extended frequency response due to the light paper cone, no nasty break-ups, gold plated terminals, etc. Looks like they are incorporating just about everything imaginable.

Probably very nice drivers Similar to SB Acoustics, but a step forward. Direct competition to Usher.

If they were $80-$90 I would try them blind. At $160... They better be incredible. And I would first want to see third party measurements, like from Zaph

Comment

They look pretty but don't excite me.

I started a thread on diyaudio about them a couple days ago. 5th element commented that their published distortion was only mediocre. Sure look tough and elegant all at the same time though :D

Ridikus, they're a California company I believe. Not sure where they're made though.
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

The technical documents claim made in China but hardly surprising. Actually the distortion numbers look quite good in the midrange and upper midrange but pretty mediocre in the bass department. Similar to the underhung TB drivers but I doubt seriously that "only" 30db down in the bass is going to sound very offensive.

I do agree though hard to get too excited due to the pricetag, they are against some already established excellent drivers. To me though the coax definitely looks unique and would love to get some third party reports on how they sound.

Comment

Well, SB Acoustics drivers are less than half the price and are proven performers. At this point Neodymium is a value loser- much extra cost for no huge benefit. Could be interesting though, I guess we'll have to wait and see. This is no Revelator killer though.
            -Dan
            Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

The drivers are expensive, but if you browse through Solen's catalogue you'll find all drivers are expensive from Solen.

Americans and Chinese are one and the same if you ask Ridikas. Btw, didn't you write some big sob story about how you were leaving and never coming back, Ridikas? And yet here you are.

I saw these drivers appear at Solen a few days back, they do look quite nice indeed, but at the price they should be. Datasheets have a decent amount of information too...

http://motusaudio.com/

The site doesn't give much information at all however. Solen is their only distributor, and they have "over 25 years of experience"
              I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

I lost interest in the line when the marketers thought I'd care what brand wire is used for the coaxial tweeter.

Using a boutique-name wire (and bragging about it) is generally indicative of misplaced priorities. If they have to lower themselves to making wire a unique selling point, the product is probably junk.
                --
                "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  I'd like to see measurements on that coax. The tweeter as a separate unit looks good in their measurements, but there's nothing on the coax at all. The design does look interesting, though. They call the midrange cone curvilinear, but it must not be far from flat. The side shot shows that the cone must not be much deeper than the thickness of the mounting ring. This may be good or bad. The integration of the tweeter with the midrange looks good physically and a shallow cone may make for far fewer tweeter diffraction issues. However, the midrange may have more severe breakup due to the shallow depth, though being paper that will probably help. It will probably roll off quicker in the off-axis, but as a small midrange, my guess is that won't be much of an issue.

Gotta see measurements.

dlr
                  WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

I didn't notice that in the side shot but you're right, that cone must be near flat. I also noticed though that the tweeter appears to have a very deep chamber which pokes out the back of the midrange motor assembly.

Now I really want to see measurements, who's going to be the first to take the plunge though with the $225 price?

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
                      I lost interest in the line when the marketers thought I'd care what brand wire is used for the coaxial tweeter.

Using a boutique-name wire (and bragging about it) is generally indicative of misplaced priorities. If they have to lower themselves to making wire a unique selling point, the product is probably junk.
                      That mrketing could actually reduce manufacturer price. Cardas might sell them wire cheap if the drivers sound good and sell. That way cardas gets great advertising, doesn't have to pay for said advertising, and motus might get the wire at discount pricing because of it. I don't see why motus would buy expensive wire if they plan on making a profit. Of course they could try to price higher on the cardas name but they won't be able to be competetive that way as most speaker builders realize magnet wire is magnet wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post

But it's ok for Roger Russel to use it in his speakers?
                        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Speaker companies are businesses first, manufacturers second. As a speaker name that nobody knows, Motus probably will make more money by joining forces with a name everyone knows (Cardas).
                          I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                            The drivers are expensive, but if you browse through Solen's catalogue you'll find all drivers are expensive from Solen.
                            OT, but I gotta say, sometimes that's the opposite. I was buying the neo SB29 for $39 up until a month ago. And last I checked they still are selling the ND28 for $12. Lots of other little gold mines as well.

Comment

Old thread, but very little info on Motus and I recently tested them. Originally when they had computer renderings and an expensive price tag I didnt "get excited about them". Now that Ive seen them in the flesh and given them a try Im very excited about a build with them. Here's my test/review: https://youtu.be/-arauLGBuyc And if anyone wants to play with the frd/zma files they are available here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j6jiieo8u...yV1kOQCBa?dl=0

Comment

Working...
                              X