AudioTechnology 18H Klippel Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AudioTechnology 18H Klippel Test

I tested the "automotive" version of the 18h. Not sure how much it differs from the home version but I was told the glue is different. Here's a link to the data for anyone interested:
    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-driver-specs/
    ErinsAudioCorner.com

Re: AudioTechnology 18H Klippel Test

great work, thanks erinh.

cheers
    henry

Comment

I guess I have to register with DIY mobile audio to see the results? No thanks.
      -Dan
      Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
        I guess I have to register with DIY mobile audio to see the results? No thanks.
        I know. Same here.
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Well. They purchased and operate the machinery, they deserve the advertising money.

Klippels are anything but inexpensive...

Thanks for the data bikin'punk. Sony next? :D :D :D :D :D :D

Comment

If I owned the klippel machine I'd post the data everywhere. Unfortunately it's not mine so I have to go by what the owner wants. He owns the site and the klippel so I have to post it there.

Takes a couple minutes to join to see data you don't see anywhere else. I don't see what the big deal is. But it's no sweat off my back.

Sidi, Sony is coming up. :$
            ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

from the thread, here's something interesting for the break-in discussion:

Originally posted by bikinpunk View Post
              No problem. I actually tested this driver 4 different times over the course of 24 hours. I put pink noise on it, band limited from 10-400hz @ near xmax after my first 2 tests last night. Left it playing that pink noise for about 12 hours today. When I got home, I re-tested it twice for accuracy.

Below is the difference between the very first test (right out of the box) vs the last test (what I posted) results of T/S.
              You can see the suspension values changed (cms, qts, etc).

Here is the difference in Bl and Nonlinear Parameters between the first and last test. You'll also see that the xmax increased about 0.1mm but that's negligible and can be attributed to difference in test alone.

Here's an overview of the first LSI test. You can compare this to the snapshot of the one I posted as the final data.

Note: If you're looking at the left side column, the test marked as "... (1)" is the final test of the same one above it. That's the one I used to post as the data. The item above it not marked as "... (1)" is the very first test I did.

I did forget to say that I tested the driver for 8 hours while at work. then another 4 at home. the results were the same between those.
              ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

These Audio Technology drivers are just sooo overpriced and for a rather mediocre performance. Does anyone even use them around here? You can get the Revelatirs for a much lower cost and a significantly improved performance. Thanks for the test though

Comment

I'm not impressed ...to say the least.
                  ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Originally posted by ErinH View Post
                    I'm not impressed ...to say the least.
                    I have had a couple sets to work with. I was not real impressed either.
                    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

It's really too bad these drivers underperform like that, as far as TS parameters go they tend to have really desirable characteristics (high sensitivity and deep extension at the same time in a small box? I'd so be there!)
                      Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-29-2012, 10:38 PM.
                      :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                        I have had a couple sets to work with. I was not real impressed either.
                        Honestly, they measure okay (just okay) with FR and the HD is pretty good but to use these for any low end response, knowing the measured xmax, is just a slap upside the head. My scan 12mu 4" midranges have more linear throw than these. The vifa 180w, to me, seems like a much better driver and it's about 1/4 the price (that seems like a driver that might be great but I haven't really played with it much, maybe you have).

All in all, I almost took the results of the 18h personally. Seriously? 3.5mm limited xmax @ 10% distortion by Bl? Seriously?

I like the high sensitivity... and that's pretty much where any notable performance (for the positive) stops.
                        ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Originally posted by ErinH View Post
                          Takes a couple minutes to join to see data you don't see anywhere else. I don't see what the big deal is.
                          I agree.

Chris
                          Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

I'm curious, the NHT 083 (for example, and because I'm working with them) hits xmax at 2.5mm if you go by compliance, but 10mm for the Bl curve - is Bl where you should ultimately look?
                            I am trolling you.

Comment

I go by whatever is rated as the weakest link. Whichever one that happens to be.
                              Ultimately this is just a means to determine spl on the low end when you use your enclosure modeling programs. Where we typically have to rely on mfg spec'd xmax - which can be given in any number of ways -, this is a way to have something more tangible. An xmax value given with some degree of rated distortion so that you can better compare options.

Case in point: The scan 18wu has 9mm xmax limited by cms (~12mm by Bl, though). Spec is 8mm, iirc. They actually underrate their drivers it seems. At least that one.
                              This particular 18h might spec higher (honestly, I have no idea what they spec it at) but it measures at 3.5mm by cms (4.1 by Bl).

Make more sense?
                              ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Working...
                              X