FEELER: "Iron Speaker" build-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEELER: "Iron Speaker" build-off

Been tossing around an idea with Rcarpenter for an addition to and / or another event in NYC to spark interest in the DIY community and give people a reason to get creative and have some fun with the hobby. Looking to see if there would be interest. This would be held in New York City so may be more of an east cost thing, but an idea for any get-together.

The concept is quite simple and based upon "iron cheif" where these is a secret ingredient used:

1) A poll is posted with a handful of drivers that can be used in many ways such as smallish midwoofer or full-rangers, and the forum gets to vote on the single driver to be used.

2) Once the driver is chosen, the designers have to build a speaker using that driver, and whichever other drivers they use to create a speaker. All drivers have to come from PE, no buyouts.. You will read why in a min. So all entry's will use the chosen driver in whichever configuration the designer thinks is best.

3) The speakers would need to be of bookshelf size, and mountable on 24" stands. The reason being is so one can be shipped 2 weeks in advance to Roman for measuring. Once measured Roman locks the measurements in a vault until:

4) The day of the actual competition where everyone meets at Roman's shop and the designers listen to all entry's in a controlled environment and subjectively evaluate all of the speakers (not scoring their own for obvious reasons).

5) The measurements are revealed after the subjective evaluation and the score for each speaker is a combination of both subjective, and objective data to get an overall winner, plus a few honorable mentions.

To encourage people out of the woodwork, PE has offered to sponsor (as well as NYDIY 2012!) and there will be prizes for the winners! I am also going to seek with PE that the winners project get featured in their showcase in a flyer.

There are many more details, but they can come later if we move forward.

Overall the idea here is involvement, new, veteran, novice alike and give people yet another reason to DIY as well as grow our visibility and community.

The drivers will all be less than $20/ea. It makes it affordable for all, and since they will be less than a perfect driver, present some challenges for noob and vet alike.

Is there interest?

...My daughter wanted to press the smiles, so here they are: :rolleyes: :eek: :o

Re: FEELER: "Iron Speaker" build-off

I think it sounds like a great idea!!! Now, I just wish I knew enough to participate...... If you do a version of "Worst Cook in America" for speakers maybe I can jump in on that one...

Comment

I think it's a great idea, Mike. I always think a little friendly competition makes things more interesting and even a little more fun. I don't think I could make it out to NYC for it, but I'd be game in the Michigan/Ohio/Indiana area. Having someone to measure all the speakers is an added bonus, but I think it would be fun even if it was strictly subjective.

Dan
      The Hurricanes
      The Baronettes
      Conneccentric
      UX3

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
        The reason being is so one can be shipped 2 weeks in advance to Roman for measuring.
        That bumps the cost considerably, no? :( I wouldn't be able to make this event either way, and the concept definitely sounds interesting, but packing, insuring, and shipping a completed speaker if you're not a business could run quite a bit. Certainly more than the $20 driver limit, I think?

On a tangent, how many folks usually show up there without any projects, but just to listen and learn? (I have a specific reason for asking)

C
        diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by cjd View Post
          That bumps the cost considerably, no? :( I wouldn't be able to make this event either way, and the concept definitely sounds interesting, but packing, insuring, and shipping a completed speaker if you're not a business could run quite a bit. Certainly more than the $20 driver limit, I think?

On a tangent, how many folks usually show up there without any projects, but just to listen and learn? (I have a specific reason for asking)

C
          Since the designer would have to attend, It would be within driving distance from Roman's shop, a single, small speaker should not be overly expensive.

We had a few last year! A couple of newcomers too whop did kit-builds. Why?

Comment

I could drive to Roman and drop off my entry......I'M IN!

Comment

Let me chime in a bit here.

Originally posted by DanP View Post
              Having someone to measure all the speakers is an added bonus, but I think it would be fun even if it was strictly subjective.

Dan
              Yes Dan. We are looking at more squiggles and subjective preferences as well. It's always a matter of feuds on this forum so a bit of science bring the order to chaos. :p

C
              It does. But it also gives a chance to people out of state to participate.
              My guess is that about %30 of people who show up are there just to listen and learn.

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
              Since the designer would have to attend, It would be within driving distance from Roman's shop, a single, small speaker should not be overly expensive.

We had a few last year! A couple of newcomers too whop did kit-builds. Why?
              Mike, designer does not have to attend. Speakers could be UPSed in and take part in the competition. On this one, I would insist that ONLY new and original designs are excepted.

I will be measuring each competing speaker.
              1)On Axis
              2)polar responses
              3) Impedance
              4) CSD
              5) distortions (probably 100hz to 8khz)
              I will also look in to the Port output, it's CSD and a near field woofer CSD of the sealed speakers

The data will not be revealed until subjective scores are added.

I don't think there should be any introductions by present designers. Me and an able helper will do all the work.
              http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Definitely sounds like fun I'm not sure what my free time will be looking like but I might try to see if I could squeeze one more project in for this year.

Take it easy
                Jay
                "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
                Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
                Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
                Levitation TM
                - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

-$100 for the drivers, total, for a pair of speakers.

-Drivers only sold at PE.
                  LinearX LMS4/LEAP5
                  ARTA 1.8.5
                  RightMark RMAA 6.2.4 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                    Let me chime in a bit here.

Yes Dan. We are looking at more squiggles and subjective preferences as well. It's always a matter of feuds on this forum so a bit of science bring the order to chaos. :p

It does. But it also gives a chance to people out of state to participate.
                    My guess is that about %30 of people who show up are there just to listen and learn.

Mike, designer does not have to attend. Speakers could be UPSed in and take part in the competition. On this one, I would insist that ONLY new and original designs are excepted.

I will be measuring each competing speaker.
                    1)On Axis
                    2)polar responses
                    3) Impedance
                    4) CSD
                    5) distortions (probably 100hz to 8khz)
                    I will also look in to the Port output, it's CSD and a near field woofer CSD of the sealed speakers

The data will not be revealed until subjective scores are added.

I don't think there should be any introductions by present designers. Me and an able helper will do all the work.

All well said, I agree there should be no intro's in order not to bias. If we want to do ship-in's I am fine with that too.

Anyone interested in ship-in's?

All drivers will have to come from PE, but a $100 limit is tough. ~40 will already be in the "iron driver". I woudl not imagine anyone spending more as performance for dollar value will be part of the subjective judging. We have not discussed the weighting, but value should be high.

"Measurements bring order to the chaos"... I like that one Roman!

Comment

Other than the cost of the drivers (which will be known to all), is there any benefit gained from advertising the total cost of each design? IMHO, that knowledge will lead to bias as surely as knowing one of them used 2nd order slopes and the other used bubble wrap.

For a contest such as this one, the fewer details made public before the rounds of subjective reviews are in, the better. There will already be plenty of sighted bias depending on how much time people spend on fit and finish.

Otherwise, interesting concept and I suggest getting ahold of that guy doing flat packs and see if he would be interested in helping to "kit out" whichever design is judged the best.
                      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                        Other than the cost of the drivers (which will be known to all), is there any benefit gained from advertising the total cost of each design? IMHO, that knowledge will lead to bias as surely as knowing one of them used 2nd order slopes and the other used bubble wrap.

For a contest such as this one, the fewer details made public before the rounds of subjective reviews are in, the better. There will already be plenty of sighted bias depending on how much time people spend on fit and finish.

Otherwise, interesting concept and I suggest getting ahold of that guy doing flat packs and see if he would be interested in helping to "kit out" whichever design is judged the best.
                        Build cost will be drivers and x-over only. It levels teh feild for value. If someone uses ebony-quatersawn-burl-striped-curl veneer at $1000 for a square foot, it is not really in context to the sound when a MDF box will sound the same.

I agree with the kit, but still a little ways off, but it's going in my "Parking lot"!

Comment

I must admit I'm curious enough to consider a ship in but capping cost... dunno about that. If it has enough room,sure. But if it's too restrictive it can lead to wonky results.

More than that though I do think the less known about a given design the better. Would be really interesting if there were a screen blocking visuals as well as the rest.
                          diVine Audio

Comment

If we can't make NYC, could we send the speakers there and send postage to get them sent back?

Comment

I must admit I'm curious enough to consider a ship in but capping cost... dunno about that. If it has enough room,sure. But if it's too restrictive it can lead to wonky results.

More than that though I do think the less known about a given design the better. Would be really interesting if there were a screen blocking visuals as well as the rest.
                              I agree. Let our rat rods have a chance to compete in the drag contest!

Comment

Working...
                              X