Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bookshelf design with great imaging and off axis response?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bookshelf design with great imaging and off axis response?

I'm searching for a small monitor design (.25 cuf) that can image great and give a good off axis response. And it would be nice if it wasn't brutally revealing as I plan to listen to them in my home office all day. This would be my very first build so I dont have any experience modifying crossovers or selecting drivers to achieve this. Maybe this is asking too much!

From the speakers that I have been able to audition in the under $1000 dollar category, I really like the Totem brand. I would like to get a pair of Totem Mites which sell for about $750 but it would be nice if I could save money and DIY.

One issue I have about DIY is not liking the speaker since I cant hear it first. I have found Totems to out perform much more expensive speakers in every aspect in this price range (imaging and detail), even if they can run a bit bright. So why not just buy the Totems is I like them so much? Well I am a DIY person and would really like to give it a try, and I understand the cost/performance ratio can be good. But I have found price isnt a good indicator. I like the $600 B&W's over the $1200 QUAD'S for example. I guess what im saying is I would like to try speaker building knowing im not going to build a pair of the exact sound I want with someone else's design, but im on a budget and am going to be stuck with whatever I build, and there arnt a lot of mini monitor designs to choose from out there it seams.

So far I am looking at the Microbe with the Vifa XT. But ive only read that the Vifa provides good imaging. Any suggestions on a design?

Edit: I have a 40 watt NAD amp, and I notice most of the small bookshelf designs are really low sensitivity. Not sure if this would be an issue, or if I could boost an 83db speaker by using better inductors or something?

Re: Bookshelf design with great imaging and off axis response?

You can check out continuums, sr71, er18dxt. these are around 300$ in parts.

Comment

How about the Piccolos from Meniscus by Jeff Bagby?

It should fit your ceiteria perfectly. Great imaging, small size (7.5 - 10l), excellent off axis response, deep bass, and very nice drivers with a voicing that isn't going to be "unnaturally revealing", and sensitivity should probably be over 86db too.

Given the guya behind those drivers, I know i want one.
      :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

What physical size and budget? There are many designs out there.

I'm currently working on a 10 ltr box with the RS125-4 and Beston RT003C.

Work in progress, still in assembly stage.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Are you listening in the nearfield?

If so, you really must consider full range with dsp via computer software. My suggestions of this are often ignored, but you really need to consider this. I've heard many totem speakers including the mite.

How about Mark Audio alpair 7 in a sealed box with linkwitz transform. 40watts in the nearfield is perfect. Best off axis you can get in the xo region, cause there isn't one.
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

As Wolf mentioned, there are quite a few designs out there that fit in a 0.25cf box. Piccolo, Piccolata, Swope, RS621, Dreydel, ZA5.2, Noobster, Speedster, Aviatrix, C-killa and more. Look around the site, research, read reviews and see what you may want to try first.
            Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
            Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
            Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
            Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
            Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Jeff Bagby's Dreyels: http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...agby/Dreydels/

If you can stand a .5 cube box, my Targas rock and image very good.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

why not just buy some overnight sensation kits from P/E?

drop by radio shack and look at thier minumus line for inspiration. I'm not saying that minimus is the perfect speaker. I am saying that is has a metal cabinet. look at how much smaller the metal cabinet is compared to wood. I'm guessing it would cost you $70 or so to have some up boxes welded to spec. Is that worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by moron#99 View Post
                  why not just buy some overnight sensation kits from P/E?

drop by radio shack and look at thier minumus line for inspiration. I'm not saying that minimus is the perfect speaker. I am saying that is has a metal cabinet. look at how much smaller the metal cabinet is compared to wood. I'm guessing it would cost you $70 or so to have some up boxes welded to spec. Is that worth it?
                  I wasn't aware that Radio shack still made the minumus line. I think they stopped that years ago :(

Comment

Originally posted by AR3A View Post
                    I wasn't aware that Radio shack still made the minumus line. I think they stopped that years ago :(
                    is there anybody still making metal speakers to go look at?
                    0.25 cu ft is right on the line between metal making a big difference in overall size.
                    8x10x7 wood versus 7x9x6 metal

Comment

You should consider my Jordan with a ribbon mini-monitor or MLTL designs. These feature the Jordan JX92S driver and the Aurum Cantus G2si tweeter. Great imaging and sound stage as acknowledged with several DIY contest wins.

http://www.patcave.com/diy2k4/spk_7180a.jpg

http://www.esnips.com/displayimage.php?pid=836351

The MLTL version uses the same crossover but adds 20-25 Hz lower bass coverage in a petite floor standing speaker.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...bbon-mltl.html

Multiple threads on both designs on the DIYAudio forum. Many builders report excellent results.

The Aurum Cantus tweeter is available from Parts Express while the Jordan drivers can be purchased from Jordan-USA:

http://www.jordan-usa.com/drivers.html

Let me know if you need more info.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbouma View Post
                        Are you listening in the nearfield?

If so, you really must consider full range with dsp via computer software. My suggestions of this are often ignored, but you really need to consider this. I've heard many totem speakers including the mite.

How about Mark Audio alpair 7 in a sealed box with linkwitz transform. 40watts in the nearfield is perfect. Best off axis you can get in the xo region, cause there isn't one.
                        You are not alone with the fullrange suggestions that go ignored. Different strokes I guess. I am a huge fan of Tang Band for bang-for-your-buck. I am in love with the Mark Audio specs and looks. I think my next fullrange project will be a pair of 10.2's.

Comment

In the nearfield, full range is technically superior.

I've heard the 10.2 and 7.3 and I'd take the 7.3, unless you really need the bass. Good luck.
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbouma View Post
                            In the nearfield, full range is technically superior.

I've heard the 10.2 and 7.3 and I'd take the 7.3, unless you really need the bass. Good luck.

I am finishing up a pair of cabinets that uses the CHR-70 and it really is QUITE good. I had thought about tweaking it with some help but a buddy of mine said he wants them and likes them just fine how they are.

IIRC, they are about .225 ft^3 tuned to 45hz.

I was even really impressed with their off axis response in the highs while listening to my "go to" critical listening disc (The Eagles, Hell Freezes Over tour). Worth consideration IMO, and this is their "bottom of the line" driver!

- Dan
                            People hear with their eyes.

Comment

Thank you all so much for the suggestions and taking the time to help out. I'm in a hurry sorry for the brief reply...

I spoke to my neighbor yesterday and they can hear my music even listening at moderate levels. My speakers are small Paradigm Atom monitors. They said they don't mind my choice of music at all, but what a bummer.

I have looked at most of the designs you all posted. So now I definitely will be going mini. I do listen somewhat nearfield - ~ 6 feet. I have never considered or herd full range before. Most of my music listening is acoustic/ instrumental. Would full range be a problem? Jim your monitors look incredible but they are a little over budget atm. The Marks are certainly inexpensive. They would be hooked up to a PC, however I am not familiar with DSP software other than for home theater.

Comment

Working...
                              X