Vote For The "iron Driver" Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote For The "iron Driver" Here!

Seems we have more than enough interest to move forward with this. So here are the potential drivers for the Iron Speaker Competition and some of the wrap up of rules and regs.

DRIVER 1.

Goldwood GW-4028/S

DRIVER 2.

Peerless 830656

DRIVER 3

TB W3881SJF

DRIVER 4

VIFA TC9FD-18-08

Driver 5

Dayton PA165-8

No other flavors of these drivers can be used. These are it, and voting is open to everyone on the forum so we may have to live and die by the vote...But that is 1/2 the fun of this.

Rules:

1) Whichever Driver is selected, must be used as an active part of the speaker.

2) The driver may be modified, but the VC and Cone must be intact. I.E. no swapping from one TB driver (if selected) to another.

3) The speakers Must fit on a 24" high stand.

4) One speaker must be shipped to roman at least 2 weeks prior to the competition (date TBA, likely late summer/early fall to allow for build time) for measurement.

5) All drivers must come from PE, no buyouts.

6) The total cost limit for Drivers and x-over is $200.00. This includes the cost of the iron driver. This does not include cabinetry, shipping, or other build materials. Receipts must be shipped with the measurement speaker to confirm. If using drivers on hand, they must have come from PE within the last year and are currently available with proof of purchase.

7) NO BUILD THREADS until after the competition If we are going to make this as blind as possible, there should be no visibility to the forum that may bias opinion. Cohort and cahoot in private. The day of the comp. Designers will not be allowed to reveal their creations until after all judging is completed and the designs will be randomly numbered in which only the designer and set-up folk will know. Set-up folk may compete, but are not allowed to judge.

8) A 4 ohm impedance is the lowest we can go. If it will be build-able by all, it should be drive-able by all.

We can address other questions as they arise, but need to KISS it and make sure it is fair for those who enter, and fun for all.

Please send me a PM if you are a definite in. The poll will be open for two weeks, and you may choose to enter up to 5/1/2012. We need a good head count to plan accordingly. Two months should give people enough time to think it over. Four months-ish should be enough time to design and build (from 5/1) even for the busiest of entrants.

And away we go! :D
    Driver 1
    10.74%
    Driver 2
    34.71%
    Driver 3
    11.57%
    Driver 4
    34.71%
    Driver 5
    8.26%

The poll is expired.

Re: Vote For The "iron Driver" Here!

oh yay I think I'm going to try this, I want the Tang band to win !

:D

Comment

Note... Buyout model numbers all start with 299

Comment

No. 4 is currently OOS.
        Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Are we to assume the tweeter hieght be 9-12" from the bottom of the baffle? A 71" tall speaker can fit on a 24" stand in a normal room :D

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
          return to the source
          leviathan system thread
          deadhorse thread
          shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

No big surprise, everyone has a stiffie for that Peerless woofer. Just what the world of DIY needs, another ten or twenty designs using the same old drivers :rolleyes:

I guess I won't be playing, the Peerless and TB stuff gets enough love around here, I don't believe either brand needs any kind of "boost".

The Dayton PA driver is a really poor choice for any kind of TM, as well. That leaves the Vifa and Goldwood. Nearly everyone here has an instant dislike for anything Goldwood lol. So it really leaves the Vifa for anything that has a remote chance of being selected that I would be interested in using. Rather see the Goldwood win ;)

The Vifa is the best driver in this group, by far. However, pretty sure the TB or Peerless will WIN THE RACE lol.

Good luck guys.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Instead of the dayton pa woofer, I would of choosen the ND91 4 or 8 ohm either way that's a heck of a Full Range. I know it doesnt come close to some of the tb stuff but, these was a nice tweaked version of the ND90 series. Which was a nice upgrade in performance in the response curve when modeling.

BR,

Bart
              I love Diy audio, because its just me and my ideas and my shop. I can make and mold my ideas and put them to play, its an amazing thing to be able to do!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                No. 4 is currently OOS.
                Later,
                Wolf
                True, but only for another 15 days. Anyway, I am with Johnny in that it would be nice to see a newish driver with a great deal of potential, but without a whole lot of developed material for it be picked. However, since I am noobing it up, living in Arizona, and working on my dissertation, the probability of me building something is extremely low, so take my opinion for what its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                  No big surprise, everyone has a stiffie for that Peerless woofer. Just what the world of DIY needs, another ten or twenty designs using the same old drivers :rolleyes:

I guess I won't be playing, the Peerless and TB stuff gets enough love around here, I don't believe either brand needs any kind of "boost".

The Dayton PA driver is a really poor choice for any kind of TM, as well. That leaves the Vifa and Goldwood. Nearly everyone here has an instant dislike for anything Goldwood lol. So it really leaves the Vifa for anything that has a remote chance of being selected that I would be interested in using. Rather see the Goldwood win ;)

The Vifa is the best driver in this group, by far. However, pretty sure the TB or Peerless will WIN THE RACE lol.

Good luck guys.
                  +1

Without adding a bigger woofer, there's not much bass potential. Too bad the contest isn't for a speaker to use with a sub crossed at 80 hz.
                  There are several good mids here. Someone close by, or willing to ship a big 3-way will likely win. I hope the Vifa is selected. That will leave an extra nine dollars for the woofer(s). I'm out too.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                    +1

Without adding a bigger woofer, there's not much bass potential. Too bad the contest isn't for a speaker to use with a sub crossed at 80 hz.
                    There are several good mids here. Someone close by, or willing to ship a big 3-way will likely win. I hope the Vifa is selected. That will leave an extra nine dollars for the woofer(s). I'm out too.
                    Again, it is about working around and with the constraints provided, if people feel they cannot do it, this is not for them. Cannot please everyone, but maybe of you thought about it differenly, you may be able to make something work. Extra $9?! You math is off.

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post

Good luck guys.
                    Johnny, who said anything about a TM? again, that is your thought. creativity counts, johnny. I look at wolf's little cube speaker with an 8" woofer, and while the cost is over $200, it was a really keen use of drivers in a unique way to reproduce a reletivily full range sound without breaking the bank.

It was not, nor ment to be "easy".

Comment

I have the Vifa here. No idea where it came from. Been around awhile. If I can't participate because there is no receipt..... silly rule.

Will participate if the Vifa is chosen and the rule waived.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                        I have the Vifa here. No idea where it came from. Been around awhile. If I can't participate because there is no receipt..... silly rule.

Will participate if the Vifa is chosen and the rule waived.
                        If there was a price change on the driver, that is the major concern, also if it was suorced from PE since they are coughing up the free stuff . Again, it needs to be fair for everyone. You cannot go into your PE order history? I woudl LOVE to see you a part of this!

Comment

everyone has a stiffie for the peerless because it's a great driver. not sure what's wrong with that.
                          I am trolling you.

Comment

Originally posted by MSaturn View Post
                            everyone has a stiffie for the peerless because it's a great driver. not sure what's wrong with that.
                            There is nothing wrong with it. There are a lot of great drivers out there. I would love to see some of the designs you have completed with the Peerless.
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
                              Receipts must be shipped with the measurement speaker to confirm. If using drivers on hand, they must have come from PE within the last year and are currently available with proof of purchase.
                              Now this is just plain stupid.

If all the drivers are from PE, just use the current price. Who cares if the builder got them on sale or free. Why would it matter if I wind my own inductor? Just use the price for a new one from PE.
                              "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

Working...
                              X