• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff B.
    replied
    Re: 6Db. crossovers????

Originally posted by moron#99 View Post
    Thanks,
    If analysis toolkit is part of "typical setup" then maybe it's the OS. I run Win2K Pro on the desktop. I'll try putting office 97 and PCD on my laptop.

The error message says
    "One of your object libraries (vbaen32.olb) is missing or damaged." Then when i hit OK it says VBA error.
    That's a corruption in your VBA compiler in Excel. Excel probably needs to be reinstalled.

Leave a comment:

• moron#99
    replied

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
    That seems odd. My programs are optimized for Excel 97, since this is what most of them were originally created with. They run best in Excel version 97 - 2003. I still have an older computer with XP and Office 97 and all of spreadsheets run great in it. You just have to make sure that macros are active and the Analysis Toolpak is installed through Add-ins.

Jeff
    Thanks,
    If analysis toolkit is part of "typical setup" then maybe it's the OS. I run Win2K Pro on the desktop. I'll try putting office 97 and PCD on my laptop.

The error message says
    "One of your object libraries (vbaen32.olb) is missing or damaged." Then when i hit OK it says VBA error.

Leave a comment:

• philiparcario
    replied

the who "meet the new boss same as the old boss"

the parties are all the same with one thing in mind .

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

What software would you recc.?
    For a guy who has never used PC testing software, likes detailed mathematics, and doesn't want a steep learning curve which would be the best software for testing Thiele Small parameters including Qtc and Fc? I downloaded Jeff's stuff, but it balked at my old Offfice97 excel.

thanks
    That seems odd. My programs are optimized for Excel 97, since this is what most of them were originally created with. They run best in Excel version 97 - 2003. I still have an older computer with XP and Office 97 and all of spreadsheets run great in it. You just have to make sure that macros are active and the Analysis Toolpak is installed through Add-ins.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Taran
    replied

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    I just throw sh!t in a box and tweak values until I like how it sounds. Double check with measurements, give it a spit shine and close the notebook.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• moron#99
    replied

so, I am going to build myself a little test lab. i am so looking forward to updating this design family. If i could have traveled back in time 30 or 40 years and handed myself a laptop with software i would have peed my pants with excitement. Laptops beat the heck out of slide rules.

What software would you recc.?
    For a guy who has never used PC testing software, likes detailed mathematics, and doesn't want a steep learning curve which would be the best software for testing Thiele Small parameters including Qtc and Fc? I downloaded Jeff's stuff, but it balked at my old Offfice97 excel.

What woofer would you reccomend?
    I need to find a good small woofer. It needs to have Qas under 0.4 and a small Vas. I'd like to keep it cheap enough to be disposable but with fairly consistent T/S from one to the next. If one driver has Vas=20L and I blow it up then the next driver needs to be fairly close.

Is there already a cabinet with adjustable internal volume?
    or do I need to build it?

thanks

Leave a comment:

• GranteedEV
    replied

so I can take an old pair of bose from the attic and make them sound like atom's just by moving them around in the room. I bet if i move them again then they will sound like Canton's. maybe another few inches and it will sound exactly like a strativarious.
    Of course not... you didn't change the crossover to a bessel :rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Good thread....

Very good nitty-gritty tech in this one!

Thanks, Mr. Kreskovsky!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• moron#99
    replied

Originally posted by Deward Hastings View Post
    It's really not a matter of "imagining". But the whole discussion, while a bit amusing, is pointless until you take the time to catch up on what (many) others have figured out in the 35 years since you last "imagined" about the subject . . . that crossover topology, while interesting and of some minor importance, is far from
    so I can take an old pair of bose from the attic and make them sound like atom's just by moving them around in the room. I bet if i move them again then they will sound like Canton's. maybe another few inches and it will sound exactly like a strativarious.

wow, thanks! you just saved me a ton of effort.

Leave a comment:

• Deward Hastings
    replied

I can't imagine . . .
    It's really not a matter of "imagining". But the whole discussion, while a bit amusing, is pointless until you take the time to catch up on what (many) others have figured out in the 35 years since you last "imagined" about the subject . . . that crossover topology, while interesting and of some minor importance, is far from

Leave a comment:

• carlspeak
    replied

I just use my Virtual Crossover Box when I can until the measurements and listening look and sound right. Check the box's component values and order good ones and done - well most of the time. :D

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

I just throw sh!t in a box and tweak values until I like how it sounds. Double check with measurements, give it a spit shine and close the notebook.

Leave a comment:

• moron#99
    replied

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
    I understand Linkwitz' tutorial, I was referring to #99's Bessel breakdown.
    In my case, I like bessel and define the output as Ao=bessel. You are free to make to make it butterworth. You just build a different cabinet with a different Q so that your speaker poles line up with the selected butterworth. That will also define the HP crossover design of your sub. I can't imagine why it does any good to treat tweeters this way. Their Fc is well into the self-destruct range.

Leave a comment:

• johnk...
    replied

It is obvious no-one has done these types of speakers. If they had then you would understand it better. Which is good. Now I can go out and buy some testing software and I have a brand new road to explore.
    Really? Check my web site: "As with the NaO II, the NaO Note panel is integrated with a dual driver, damped, U-frame woofer system. While
    similar in size and principle to the NaO II U-frame, the woofer system has been completely redesigned. The low frequency response follows a 3rd order Bessel alignment with -3dB point at 30 Hz and -6dB point at 22 Hz."

However, the reson for using a BE3 HP woofer response has nothing to do with impulse response. I think you will find that many people have done many more things that you can imagine.

Leave a comment:

• moron#99
    replied

Originally posted by johnk... View Post
    I'm not "going on" about Be3. I am just responding your comments.

As far as 4th order Bessels go, they are not cascaded 2nd orders with Q = 0.5 x Q= 0.7. You have the wrong Qs. Additionally; each 2nd order HP section has a different Fc. And if the idea is to improve impulse response you are going in the wrong direction. I'm done here. This is just trolling at this point.
    It is really rather moot whether or not I can remember the right Q value after 35 years. Pete has probably done similar designs but never forced the Qtc with a premeditated intent of going passive. Perhaps he would know the right label but until then "passive Linkwitz alignment" seems appropriate.

It is obvious no-one has done these types of speakers. If they had then you would understand it better. Which is good. Now I can go out and buy some testing software and I have a brand new road to explore.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X