Dreydels vs CJD vs C-killa...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreydels vs CJD vs C-killa...?

Initially I was going to build knock down kits for the Overnight Sensation MTM's because they're cheap and easy. I lack money and time (let's blame the 3 kids 5 and under) and it seemed like a good option. I worried if I built them I would not really be satisfied (are we ever?) and then end up building what I really wanted to build anyways, which would cost me more time and money. I'd also have to find a way to convince the wife to start over. None of which sounds appealing to me. If you can talk me into staying with OSMTM great, but what I would prefer to do is build something with an RS150 (still need to go small here for SAF) and a tweeter either the RS28 or its close relative the Seas 27. I've narrowed it down to a few designs, but obviously feel free to make suggestions. It will eventually be paired with a sub. I don't want to spend more than 200, so obviously I'm already way over budget.. but only my wife cares about that ;) Anything over $300 and I'll probably be in deep doodoo.
    • Dreydels...How can you go wrong with JeffB?
    • CJD's version of the MT with these drivers... what's the difference between his and Jeff's?
    • Parts Express actually has a kit for this, which would help save some time for xover build, but is their's better than the above 2? Probably not, and they cost more.
    • C-Killas... which drop down the cost on the tweeter, but I have a big tweeter fear because years ago I had some B&W's, I don't remember which ones, they were on the lower end. I was never happy with the tweeter so now I fear going cheaper here, but I'd love conversation over it vs's the twitters mentioned above.

Thanks for any help fellas!

Bruce

Re: Dreydels vs CJD vs C-killa...?

A few years ago I built a pair for my sister using this design: http://www.htguide.com/forum/attachm...achmentid=5087 in a vented box. (by mudjock about 1/2 way down the page.) They sounded quite good both to me and to her.

Comment

There's also this one http://sites.google.com/site/undefin...irlfromipanema.

Comment

C-killa's are a nice little loudspeaker. I built a modified version for my father's 4.1 and they sound quite nice.
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

I built the Encore's for my brother in a tower configuration (same volume and tuning as original design) and the C-Killas for my sister. They are both really nice sounding speakers. I think you would be happy with either, but I give the tweeter edge to the RS28.

HTH, Andy.

Comment

Kinda depends on your priorities. I love the ND28 but it's not going to give you the ultimate sizzle of the RS series (you'll pay a bit more for that last 5%). I think it's a major step up from many of the cheaper tweeters. It's very "Morel" sounding (looks like a Morel.) I have no qualms about it's build quality or robustness.

I've done three sets of C-Killas and never had a complaint. Honest bass into the 50's from a fairly small box. They are voiced on the warm/neutral side.

Can't comment on the other designs, I have not heard them.
            Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
            "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
            Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Originally posted by AudioSQ View Post
              I don't want to spend more than 200, so obviously I'm already way over budget.. but only my wife cares about that ;) Anything over $300 and I'll probably be in deep doodoo.
              Not to fault any of those "under $200" designs, all of which are excellent for computer speakers or surrounds or bedroom or whatever, but that "extra $100" buys you a whole lot more . . . quality pushing the limit of "as good as it gets" for small box designs. Look at http://meniscusaudio.com/continuum-pr-p-1324.html . . . it's a speaker you won't want to be replacing until you are ready to move significantly up the price ladder (and out of "small boxes"). If you do decide to go the "lower cost now" route then just build the cheapest . . . and start saving for next year when you replace them with something better.
              "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

That's another Jeff B. Design. I'd love to hear his opinion about it vs his Dreydels (which I price out at about $246). I think it's about 100 dollar difference in parts.

Comment

That's another Jeff B. Design. I'd love to hear his opinion about it
                  This thread:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...continuum+jeff
                  "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

Just to comment on the RS621, PE occasionally has the complete kit with the really nice cabinets for $300.
                    Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
                    Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
                    Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
                    Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
                    Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

But how often is occasional? I'm patient to wait a few months maybe.. but an open ended wait where I don't know when or even if it'll happen.. And while the majority of the dirty work being done for me would be nice, I think that particular design is my least favorite option. Still all work done minus some holes and all included for 300 would be tempting.

Comment

But how often is occasional? I'm patient to wait a few months maybe.. but an open ended wait where I don't know when or even if it'll happen.. And while the majority of the dirty work being done for me would be nice, I think that particular design is my least favorite option. Still all work done minus some holes and all included for 300 would be tempting.
                        Dreydel is very nice. But the Continuum is just a notch better.
                        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Right, but i'm already over budget with the Dreydels. I have 200 dollars approved by the wife. If I build the Dreydels that's 250 plus enclosures, which will probably put me around 100 dollars over budget. If I build the Continuums then that's 332 for the kit plus enclosure materials which will probably put me close to 400.. that is doubling my approved budget. That could be a sticky one to deal with. I love my wife too much to just do it and deal with the consequences. I could probably get more grace from her from going 100 over. How much is a notch? If I'm really selling myself a good bit short then I can see what I can work out with the wifey, otherwise I'll probably stick with the Dreydels. The Continuums won't sound any better if every time I listen to them I get an earful from the wife :P I feel like all that may put my wife in a negative light, so just to clarify, she's an amazing woman.

Comment

Right, but i'm already over budget with the Dreydels. I have 200 dollars approved by the wife. If I build the Dreydels that's 250 plus enclosures, which will probably put me around 100 dollars over budget. If I build the Continuums then that's 332 for the kit plus enclosure materials which will probably put me close to 400.. that is doubling my approved budget. That could be a sticky one to deal with. I love my wife too much to just do it and deal with the consequences. I could probably get more grace from her from going 100 over. How much is a notch? If I'm really selling myself a good bit short then I can see what I can work out with the wifey, otherwise I'll probably stick with the Dreydels. The Continuums won't sound any better if every time I listen to them I get an earful from the wife :P I feel like all that may put my wife in a negative light, so just to clarify, she's an amazing woman.
                            How about this? Build the Dreydels with the RS28 option, then later on, upgrade the woofer and XO and you'll have the Continuum.

When I say a notch, I mean to say a very subtle difference in sound. I doubt you'd be disappointed with the Dreydel. It's a great little monitor.
                            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Right, but i'm already over budget with the Dreydels. I have 200 dollars approved by the wife. If I build the Dreydels that's 250 plus enclosures, which will probably put me around 100 dollars over budget...
                              If you can do the C-killa's for your budget, I doubt you will find them lacking. (My cancer surgeon spent $20K on audio for his Home Theater, he does have a good ear, and thought his pair were as clean as the German uber speakers in his HT)

If your wife sees/hears what $200 will buy, she'll probably object less when you decide to upgrade down the road. (It's a marathon, not a sprint! ;))
                              Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                              "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                              Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X