Need Woofer Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Woofer Suggestions

Hi guys. I'm planning to design a 2-way speaker that uses the HiVi RT2II planar tweeters, and I'd like some suggestions on a 6" or 7" woofer to pair it with. I'd like to use something that hasn't been used to death, and has fairly flat extension to 3kHz. The Fountek FW168 looks pretty appealing, but it's also fairly popular.

I was thinking about maybe the new (?) HiVi carbon fiber woofers from Madisound, or the Seas U18RNX/P woven poly woofer. Any thoughts?
    Eric L.

Re: Need Woofer Suggestions

Costs more than the fountek, but it looks like a real performer. I've been dying to use it.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...dwoofer-4-ohm/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

The Usher 8836A would work. But most all 6 to 7" woofers are going to work best crossed at 2KHz or less. Most will start to have higher distortion and more non-linearity. So a damped paper cone is going to be best. All will start to have off axis issues.

But if I wanted the best 6-7" woofer that would cross at up to 3K the 8835A would be my choice.

Of course there are several others if you can tolerate high odd order distortion or are willing to use notch filters etc... to get them to cooperate.

Best bet for a 3KHz crossover point is to drop down to 4 to 5" midwoofer.
      Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
      If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

i think it very much depends upon what you want the speaker to do. It is not uncommon for a "good" woofer to have 10-20% distortion when you get near Fs at 95dB+. The lower and louder you go then the bigger of an issue it becomes. Most of the distortion is caused by ripples and flexing in the cone material. As a designer you have to pick the tradeoff between cone stiffness, smooth midrange, and budget.
        Attached Files

Comment

Just another idea if you wanted to keep it in the "family". I built the Tempus design from the Hi Vi web site that used the F6 with the TN28 top mount tweeter. It's crossed at 3900 to deal with that tweeter's known issues, but the woofer performed flawlessly with some of the best midrange I've heard at that price.

http://www.swanspeaker.com/support/d...mpus%20Kit.pdf
          Attached Files
          Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Originally posted by moron#99 View Post
            i think it very much depends upon what you want the speaker to do. It is not uncommon for a "good" woofer to have 10-20% distortion when you get near Fs at 95dB+. The lower and louder you go then the bigger of an issue it becomes. Most of the distortion is caused by ripples and flexing in the cone material. As a designer you have to pick the tradeoff between cone stiffness, smooth midrange, and budget.
            I was actually referring to lower treble/upper midrange distortion especially higher odd order distortion that is common in mid priced and inexpensive 6 to 7" midwoofers. This usually shows up above 2000Hz. It can be a by-product of cone break ups at higher frequencies.

+95db is pretty loud for a 6 to 7" 2 way especially when you consider the average sensitivity is less than 85db at 2.83V. 95db puts you in the above 22V range or above 60 watts. Most 6 to 7" mids will run out of xmax in this region so high distortion and loss of linearity is going to be a given.
            Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
            If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by dthomas View Post
              I was actually referring to lower treble/upper midrange distortion especially higher odd order distortion that is common in mid priced and inexpensive 6 to 7" midwoofers. This usually shows up above 2000Hz. It can be a by-product of cone break ups at higher frequencies.

+95db is pretty loud for a 6 to 7" 2 way especially when you consider the average sensitivity is less than 85db at 2.83V. 95db puts you in the above 22V range or above 60 watts. Most 6 to 7" mids will run out of xmax in this region so high distortion and loss of linearity is going to be a given.
              amps are so cheap these days. i don't understand why anyone would build a passive speaker. if you put up a brick wall at 80Hz a 7" speaker will go pretty loud. The money you save on big coils and capacitors will easily pay for a small amp.

Comment

I think it's because it's easier to switch out a completed passive system than reconfigure the whole active setup when you want to try a different pair of speakers. Also, I'd rather have one or two really nice amps compared to a slew of flea amps.

Comment

For the OP, why not try a tmm with the hivi f5's. While listed as a 5 inch driver, the f5 is actually closer to a 6, and 2 should provide a little punch, a the f5 has no issues going to 3k.

Comment

Originally posted by Taran View Post
                    I think it's because it's easier to switch out a completed passive system than reconfigure the whole active setup when you want to try a different pair of speakers. Also, I'd rather have one or two really nice amps compared to a slew of flea amps.
                    I was rather thinking the amp would be built into the speaker enclosure. Same as a pc speaker without the volume knob. You slap a resistor across binding posts and read your input voltage off that. As far as you amp can see it will be driving a purely resistive load.

Comment

Originally posted by Taran View Post
                      For the OP, why not try a tmm with the hivi f5's. While listed as a 5 inch driver, the f5 is actually closer to a 6, and 2 should provide a little punch, a the f5 has no issues going to 3k.
                      Not a bad suggestion. I was also thinking of maybe doing a MTM with the Dayton Reference 6" truncated woofers, as they could be mounted extremely close to the RT2II's rectangular faceplate. Lots of options.
                      Eric L.

Comment

Coupling an MTM with ~6" woofers into an effective point source with useful vertical off-axis performance requires a crossover down around 1K or less. I don't suggest trying to do a 2-way MTM with an x-over point of 3K.
                        Pro/Fi Cinema Speaker project: "From the Ashes"

Comment

johnny richards is about to test the new ds-175. that may be an option as well.
                          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

A pair of these, 2.5 way, or even 2 way TMM would be very good, and you can cross arod 4K no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
                              A pair of these, 2.5 way, or even 2 way TMM would be very good, and you can cross arod 4K no problems.
                              Wow. That's a great idea. I can't remember looking at those, and right now the price is really good. I know I haven't seen them in a project before, so that earns them extra points.
                              Eric L.

Comment

Working...
                              X