Dayton ND105-4 vs. Aura NS4-255

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dayton ND105-4 vs. Aura NS4-255

I can't find any designs using the NS4's. You'll have to do your own measurements on them and be your own designer on them. If you think you want to un-load them, PM me...I might be game.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
      Since you already own the NS4s (and they're NLA), what exactly do you want to know? Why not design a box and XO for them and use them. I would.

Chris
      I'm wondering how PE is doing drivers that are near copies of ones from other companies for one. I'd like to know more about the motor geometry for both of them. And I was wondering if they were close enough to use in the same design; no need to inform me about how crossovers have to be designed for a specific driver - I've been at this for a while in case you didn't notice.
      I've got one in an old Minimus 7, lol, and I might design a decent crossover for them, but I'm thinking why bother if I can't get them anymore. Might as well do it with some ND-105s so that others can use it as an upgrade also.

I don't generally use small speakers so I'm in no rush.

Comment

Pete, I think Dayton is attempting to fill the void left by some drivers that are NLA (maybe?) I might be interested in the Aura's if you want to be rid of them. (I'm not sure what I'll do with them yet.) So many drivers, so little time...;)

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
          I've got one in an old Minimus 7, lol, and I might design a decent crossover for them, but I'm thinking why bother if I can't get them anymore. Might as well do it with some ND-105s so that others can use it as an upgrade also.
          Pete,

Is the NS4-255/ND105 a drop-in replacement for the oem M7 woofer (in the aluminum cabinet) ? I've done several of the M7 rebuilds with the XO's that you and Zilch collaborated on way back when. I never messed with changing the original drivers.
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

The Aura NS4 does drop in, but you have to move all of the crossover parts out of the way and bend over the input terminals to clear the magnet. I think there's about 1/8" maybe 1/4" clearance to the bent over terminals when you do this. I can check if you need to know more. There is a very tall ring around the edge of the NS4 that does not look like it will clear the grille. It is falling off on mine so I'll probably just remove it. I have a feeling that the woofer edge might touch the grille when driven real hard, but people shouldn't drive them that hard anyway.
            I've not tried the ND105.

I don't do much with these small speakers so I never did any work on a new crossover for the NS4. If I need or can think of a good use for them, I'll finish them.
            I took another look at Zaph's measurements of the Aura NT1-204 tweeter and it is really outstanding even having quite low distortion, I talk about it here:
            http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...4&postcount=19

I have one of these tweeters, the other was damaged in shipping and I'll probably do a crossover for them.

Anyone have a pair of blown Minimus 7 tweeters, with mounting plates they can spare?
            I want to try the NT1-204 tweeter and want to avoid having to make a new plate.
            Last edited by Pete Basel; 04-10-2012, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X