X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Basel
    replied
    Re: Dayton ND105-4 vs. Aura NS4-255

The Aura NS4 does drop in, but you have to move all of the crossover parts out of the way and bend over the input terminals to clear the magnet. I think there's about 1/8" maybe 1/4" clearance to the bent over terminals when you do this. I can check if you need to know more. There is a very tall ring around the edge of the NS4 that does not look like it will clear the grille. It is falling off on mine so I'll probably just remove it. I have a feeling that the woofer edge might touch the grille when driven real hard, but people shouldn't drive them that hard anyway.
    I've not tried the ND105.

I don't do much with these small speakers so I never did any work on a new crossover for the NS4. If I need or can think of a good use for them, I'll finish them.
    I took another look at Zaph's measurements of the Aura NT1-204 tweeter and it is really outstanding even having quite low distortion, I talk about it here:
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...4&postcount=19

I have one of these tweeters, the other was damaged in shipping and I'll probably do a crossover for them.

Anyone have a pair of blown Minimus 7 tweeters, with mounting plates they can spare?
    I want to try the NT1-204 tweeter and want to avoid having to make a new plate.
    Last edited by Pete Basel; 04-10-2012, 10:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
    I've got one in an old Minimus 7, lol, and I might design a decent crossover for them, but I'm thinking why bother if I can't get them anymore. Might as well do it with some ND-105s so that others can use it as an upgrade also.
    Pete,

Is the NS4-255/ND105 a drop-in replacement for the oem M7 woofer (in the aluminum cabinet) ? I've done several of the M7 rebuilds with the XO's that you and Zilch collaborated on way back when. I never messed with changing the original drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Whitneyville1
    replied

Pete, I think Dayton is attempting to fill the void left by some drivers that are NLA (maybe?) I might be interested in the Aura's if you want to be rid of them. (I'm not sure what I'll do with them yet.) So many drivers, so little time...;)

Leave a comment:

• Pete Basel
    replied

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    Since you already own the NS4s (and they're NLA), what exactly do you want to know? Why not design a box and XO for them and use them. I would.

Chris
    I'm wondering how PE is doing drivers that are near copies of ones from other companies for one. I'd like to know more about the motor geometry for both of them. And I was wondering if they were close enough to use in the same design; no need to inform me about how crossovers have to be designed for a specific driver - I've been at this for a while in case you didn't notice.
    I've got one in an old Minimus 7, lol, and I might design a decent crossover for them, but I'm thinking why bother if I can't get them anymore. Might as well do it with some ND-105s so that others can use it as an upgrade also.

I don't generally use small speakers so I'm in no rush.

Leave a comment:

• Whitneyville1
    replied

I can't find any designs using the NS4's. You'll have to do your own measurements on them and be your own designer on them. If you think you want to un-load them, PM me...I might be game.

Leave a comment:

• routhun
    replied

I bought a pair of Aura NS4-255-8A, they are lying in the box as I could not find appropriate (any) design. Any design's using this driver?

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

Look at Chris Roemer's page on here. There are 2 different xovers for the nanoneos and 1 for the ntns. I built the ntns as a tower version TL variant and was very happy with the way the system sounded. Not super effiecent, but very cool to get solid 40Hz bass out of 4" drivers. Everyone who heard them really liked em.

Leave a comment:

• DDF
    replied

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
    Chris did make a more expensive crossover for the neos along with the ntn version.
    Thanks, where can I find the 2nd xover?

Leave a comment:

• Whitneyville1
    replied

The Aura's have a higher F0 than the Dayton's: The Aura "D's" show 60Hz which you might could get into the 40's with. I'd use Chris' shaping coil/resistor as on the ND90 to help out. The Aura's will need to be a two-way, but the Nuance $2.50 buy-out tweeter should do the job. It's not the most sophisticated tweeter in the world, but with a small inductor and a couple of resistors and caps, it can be "tamed". It's small size means you can cross it high and mount it close to the woofer. If we had the T/S data, we could be more specific on the "F" as to enclosure size, XO, etc. You can get there by "guesstimating" and listening, but it will take you longer.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

Chris did make a more expensive crossover for the neos along with the ntn version.

Leave a comment:

• DDF
    replied

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    You can't take T/S measurements "in-box", not for designing another box anyhow. Your "Fs" is actually the upper peak resulting from the tuning, then there's the lower peak, and in between (but not directly in-betweeen) is the Fb valley. The Qts is also not "free-air".

The "system" plot on-axis looks pretty nice, except that I can tell this is the very first XO with a bit of a "lift" around 2-3kHz (which was comped out after the speakers were measured at Iowa DIY in late 2010). These were originally designed (with the ND105-4s on sale at $12 each) with a VERY tight budget of $55 for the pair for drivers and XO. I think you'd agree that this is not bad performance for a tight budget, a small (0.3 cf) box, +/-3dB, and a strong 40Hz.

Chris
    The Qts is free air (I measured them free air)

That's a huge midrange peak, I personally would have went with a far larger inductor. I heard it instantly. Was the second crossover published?

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
    Thanks Dave that is good to know. I already have the Aura's and I was just wondering how close they are to the Daytons in real life. Your T&S measurements and FR will help with that.
    You can't take T/S measurements "in-box", not for designing another box anyhow. Your "Fs" is actually the upper peak resulting from the tuning, then there's the lower peak, and in between (but not directly in-betweeen) is the Fb valley. The Qts is also not "free-air".

The "system" plot on-axis looks pretty nice, except that I can tell this is the very first XO with a bit of a "lift" around 2-3kHz (which was comped out after the speakers were measured at Iowa DIY in late 2010). These were originally designed (with the ND105-4s on sale at $12 each) with a VERY tight budget of $55 for the pair for drivers and XO. I think you'd agree that this is not bad performance for a tight budget, a small (0.3 cf) box, +/-3dB, and a strong 40Hz.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Pete Basel
    replied

Thanks Dave that is good to know. I already have the Aura's and I was just wondering how close they are to the Daytons in real life. Your T&S measurements and FR will help with that.

Leave a comment:

• DDF
    replied

Hi Peter,

I measured the ND105-4s two weeks ago in the Nano Neo box for a friend in Ottawa. Attached is the result over angle, along with the Nano Neo on axis.

I didn't like the edge surround bauble on the ND105 driver, too hard to eq out passively.

Below are the TS params I took (but didn't get Vas).

How much did you want to spend on the driver? I measured the W4-1720, its a keeper. I chose it over the ND105. If you're interested, I could post results for it as well.

Other options:

If you're not terrified by the insane break up near 10k, look into the FW146.

There are also a few nice looking and inexpensive Peerless drivers in the 830xxx family worth looking into, such as the $17 830656 at Solen (though Le is high, so distortion may not be top notch, but haven't measured it).

Dave

TS params
    71.212 "Fs Hz"
    3.951 "Re Ohms[dc]"
    31.492 "Res Ohms"
    4.748 "Qms "
    0.596 "Qes "
    0.529 "Qts "
    0.488 "L1 mH"
    0.535 "L2 mH"
    1.489 "R2 Ohms"
    0.127 "RMSE-load Ohms"
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Pete Basel
    replied

Originally posted by MSaturn View Post
    why does everyone ignore the (by all rights, completely superior) FR89EX?
    Yes, very nice driver!

Not ignoring it, it is 3" vs. these that are 4" and therefore these have more VD given the very roughly equal Xmax. Also price, FR89EX is significantly more expensive.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X