ZX spectrum/OS center build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZX spectrum/OS center build

Got a few questions for you guys regarding the ZX Spectrum.

I have everything needed to start building the pair, but im missing the screws to hold the speaker to the face plate. Should i just go to the hardware store and get some screws to attach it?

Also im a bit confused with the Flush mount face plate. The face plate is 5 inches in diameter and im wondering if i need to cut a 5 inch circle to make the face plate flush with the cabinet or do i just cut a space for the tweeter itself and mount the plate to the front of the baffle?

Sorry for the silly questions but im sure ill have a few more as this is my first speaker build.

Re: ZX spectrum/OS center build

Which screws are you missing? The ones that hold the Neo3 to the faceplate? If I remember correctly, they're very small. To hold the faceplate to the cabinet, you can pretty much use anything.

The flush mount faceplate is meant to be flush-mounted into the baffle. I think the depth is something like 1/8" (?) You'd need a router+circle jig to do this. If you don't have access to a router, then just cut a hole big enough for whatever protrudes out the back, and surface-mount the faceplate+tweeter onto the baffle. It'll be OK.
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Thanks Paul,
      I had talked to my dad and have found a way to make it all work and shouldnt be to hard.

Im really excited to get these built, i have had the crossovers built and the speakers placed on some tray tables listening to music for quite a while now lol. i know they will sound much better then sitting on the table.

Comment

Hey guys quick question for you. I emailed Paul and he hasnt got back with me just yet and im working on finishing my speakers tomorrow and have run into a small issue.

I have been using the specs for the enclosure from the amiga page and i have compared the 2 tweeters from the zx specturm and the amiga and the overall diameter on the Neo3 faceplate is exactly 1 inch larger then the Vifa that the Amiga uses.

Is it possible to move the M6A down one inch and not mess with baffle step or anything like that?

Comment

Originally posted by cjmartiny View Post
          Hey guys quick question for you. I emailed Paul and he hasnt got back with me just yet and im working on finishing my speakers tomorrow and have run into a small issue.

I have been using the specs for the enclosure from the amiga page and i have compared the 2 tweeters from the zx specturm and the amiga and the overall diameter on the Neo3 faceplate is exactly 1 inch larger then the Vifa that the Amiga uses.

Is it possible to move the M6A down one inch and not mess with baffle step or anything like that?
          i didn't see exact dimensions on the page for the ZX spectrum, but if you eyeball the distance from the top of the baffle to the tweeter, and the tweeter edge to the woofer, you should be ok. moving the woofer in a tall tower can sometimes have an effect, but half an inch or an inch in this case may not make all that much difference. it's probably more important to keep the tweeter the same distance from the edges as the original to keep the same diffraction signatures. (it may be that he just moved it half an inch and kept the center of the tweeter the same height in both designs).
          TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

Originally posted by cjmartiny View Post
            Sorry I guess I never did post a baffle layout for those. But anyway, yes, you can certainly move the woofer down an inch, and it will sound the same.
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
              Sorry I guess I never did post a baffle layout for those. But anyway, yes, you can certainly move the woofer down an inch, and it will sound the same.
              Excellent thank you Paul. It didnt dawn on me until we were about to finish the baffles and i was using the specs from the Amiga and wanted to make sure using the drivers from the zx spectrum wouldnt interfere with each other or anything like that.

Again thank you all for your help

Comment

Just wanted to make a quick update. Got the ZX Spectrum and the OS center built and love them. They are not finished, just waiting for some time to sand and stain them.

Sorry for the poor images, i took them with my phone without the flash.

Comment

Excellent job CJ.

Comment

Looking good. I plan on building the Swope MTM's, but keep wondering if I should build these instead. Care to give more details on your listening impressions? I wonder what the advantages/disadvantages of these are over the Swope MTM's.

Comment

i love them. There have been a few time where i need to check and see if the sub is still turned on lol. I use them mostly for watching tv in 5.1 but i will listen to music on them too off my computer also and they sound great.

I know Paul has created his designs with similar imaging. So really if you get either the Swope or the ZX Specturm they will sound great. It will just come down to personal preference on cabinet size.

Comment

Working...
                      X