X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mayhem13
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jun 2008

Your favorite recording Artist?

Everyone has that one artist that they listen to more than any other in their collection. Please only one per member and maybe a description as to why? THe hope is we might introduce each other to something we might not find on our own. Please include some favorite tracks too.
    I'll start

King's X

The most dynamic trio I've ever heard with amazing vocal harmonies, a lead vocalists whose as soulful as they come and a guitarist who's an amalgamation of Hendrix and Brian May.

Summer land, Goldilox, Dogman, Pray, Manic Depression, Chariot Song

I challenge all participants to listen to others favorites and see if they can relate.
  • 6thplanet
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jun 2009

Re: Your favorite recording Artist?

Iron Maiden

They're pretty much the whole reason I became a musician (bass player). They music spans from 1980 to today, going through a few iterations of the band. The first two albums were great with the first singer, then Bruce Dickinson joined (Number of the Beast album) and completed them into what they are from then on. The two stinkers of the group are The X Factor & Virtual XI, were Bruce went out on his own and they used another singer (music's good, singing is lacking) other than that, pure rock at its best!!

Have at it, I wish I could pick some songs without type casting them, most of the stuff on The Number of the Beast record is whats "known" by them as in Run to the Hills & Number of the Beast. Then the next album Peace of Mind scored the Trooper and Flight of Icarus....and the list goes on and on.....
    A mains
    The Ventures
    Open Invit8tions
    RSR
    Sound Troopers
    Acorns
    DGBG's
    The Monuments

Comment

• fastbike1
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Mar 2010

I think I may be an exception. Play time by artist for me has a genre component. I generally divide my collection into rock, blues, classical and jazz. Within each genre, there are a couple of artists that dominate playtime, but across genres the top artists by playtime are fairly even.

Anyway, Joe Cocker. In some respects I think he's gotten better as he ages.

Cry Me a River (one of my all time favorite songs), Unchain My Heart, The Letter, One.
      I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
      OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
      Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
      Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
      Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
      LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

• mikejennens
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Mar 2008

Since I can only pick one it would have to be Dire Straits. I particularly like Private Investigations and Ride Across the River. They both have a pretty wide range of music within them. Highs and lows are nicely interspersed. Mark Knopfler has his own uniqueness with his guitar and his voice is extremely laid back. I find most music by Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler very easy to listen to. It's usually my choice for auditioning speakers too.
        Mike
        "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
        Bismarck, North Dakota
        My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
        My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

• killa
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Jan 2006

Faith no more.

Comment

• Mayhem13
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Jun 2008

Joe is quite amazing and an American icon. I'm not familiar with all of his material, but I'll certainly sample the obscure stuff. Sure to find some hidden gems.

F.N.M. Blew me away with their debut when I was a blooming guitarist. Groundbreaking!

Iron Maiden needs no words.....was as much a part of my teenage years as girls and keg parties.:D

Comment

• dwigle
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Oct 2005

Clapton - his book of music covers 45 years and he's still relevant. He fills venues with young and old.

Comment

• Mark65
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Jul 2007

I quite literally don't listen to the same artist from day to day. I'll listen to any genre, as long it sounds good to me, but mostly I go to the Rock artists, be it classic, hard rock, metal, thrash, alternative, etc.

But since you asked for just one, I'd have to say that the band that pops up the most on my system would have to be the Beatles.

BUT, there are lots of artists that come awfully close....

Oh, and the go to album is usually Abbey Road, with Revolver, Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper close behind.

+1 on Iron Maiden, and a funny thing about Faith No More, I only knew the song "Epic", and thought that was pretty much all they did, but since I've owned a car that displays title and artist when listening to the radio I've found that I've known and liked a bunch of their stuff over the years. Great band.

Mark
                You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

• Mayhem13
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Jun 2008

Just bought my very first copy of Abbey Road a few weeks ago at a vinyl/early CD festival........heresy I know but hey.....I peaked late in life.

Comment

• nod
                    Been Around Awhile
                    • Jun 2008

Tough decision, so many greats to choose from, but I'll have to go with Robin Trower. There's just something about his music, not just the guitar work, the lyrics seem to convey so much too. It's unfortunate that his band's original vocalist (Jim Dewar) has passed on, but they're currently in fine form with Davey Pattison sounding closer to Dewar than one could hope for.

My oh-so-close second choice is Steely Dan, and I'd think most of the musicians here can appreciate the compositions of Fagen & Becker.

Comment

• 50 watt head
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Mayhem13
                      Everyone has that one artist that they listen to more than any other in their collection. Please only one per member and maybe a description as to why? THe hope is we might introduce each other to something we might not find on our own. Please include some favorite tracks too.
                      I'll start

King's X

The most dynamic trio I've ever heard with amazing vocal harmonies, a lead vocalists whose as soulful as they come and a guitarist who's an amalgamation of Hendrix and Brian May.

Summer land, Goldilox, Dogman, Pray, Manic Depression, Chariot Song

I challenge all participants to listen to others favorites and see if they can relate.
                      Oh, wow... I haven't heard anyone mention King's X in a looooong time! I started listening to them back when Gretchen came out -- my personal favs are "Pleiades" and "The Burning Down" but I like "Summerland" a lot, too.

Dogman is a heckuva album, and the guitar tone on that one is frickin' HUGE. Gretchen and Faith Hope Love are my favorite albums of theirs. I've never seen them live, but I once spoke to someone who did see them back in the late 80s and he told me they sounded as big as a symphony.

They're definitely one of my favorite bands, but I rarely listen to them. I don't find myself listening to much rock music anymore :o

Comment

• Mark65
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Mayhem13
                        Just bought my very first copy of Abbey Road a few weeks ago at a vinyl/early CD festival........heresy I know but hey.....I peaked late in life.

No worries....better late than never!!!:D

Mark
                        You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

• sunandmoon
                          Been Around Awhile
                          • Oct 2009

so many ... but have to say... huge King's X fan as well!

Comment

• Paul Carmody
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Nov 2006

For me, there are two artists who always rise to the top of the playlist. First one is the Deftones. But honestly, that's a taste I don't expect anyone else to really share. Their stuff is heavy and sloppy, but at the same time it's very sensitive, and it grooves really hard. There's just something magical in the melodies Chino sings over the chords, and also his nebulous, mysterious lyrics. Plus, it just makes me feel good to blast it out of open windows, you know?

The other one is Devin Townsend. I've been a huge fan of his since the "Ocean Machine" album and Strapping Young Lad (his insanely heavy alter-ego) "City," both released in the mid 90's. He continues to impress me with new, complex musical ideas, and a VERY cool singing voice. His stuff tends to be very densely layered, which is always fun to test speakers with. Get this: with his new 4-album series called the "Devin Townsend Project," he has declared that he's pulled his hat from the loudness war! Now we just need the rest of the musical world to decide to do the same.

tracks of his to try range from moderately heavy: "Regulator," "Universe in a Ball," "Canada," or "Pixillate"
                            to oh-my-god-you're-crushing-my-skull: "All Hail the New Flesh," "Skeksis," "Deconstruction"
                            and he's even got a somewhat soft side: "Ih Ah," "Coast," "Terminal"
                            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

• hdben
                              Been Around Awhile
                              • Apr 2010

Robin Trower big fan here, first saw him in '76 what a trip. Deftones also another go to for me. As far as a fav...Gary Moore, Alice in Chains, but I'd have to say "Pat Travers". Music and the variety that he has provided, Misty Morning, Amgwanna kick booty, Crash and Burn, then there's the Blues. TOO many to list. Why only 1? If ties were accepted then I'd throw in Gary Moore, he too has so much to offer.

Comment

Working...