Low crossover 2-way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low crossover 2-way

I've experimented a little with the little small vifa 3 1/2" driver that lost out in the Iron Driver voting. I ran it full range with a sub, and thought it was OK at low SPL. Yesterday, I tried it crossed at about 350 hz to a small woofer, and thought the midrange was very good, and the bass OK. The woofer was small, and nothing special. So, I was thinking that it might sound even better with a better woofer. So, I'm thinking others might be interested as well in a small speaker that can be built for about $85 a box for the drivers and x-over. I'm thinking small (1.2 cu-ft or less) sealed box intended for use with a subwoofer, with an f3 of about 70 hz to 80 hz. Since the power handling and sensitivity of the mid limits the output, I figure an 8" woofer would be ideal. A ten would be an option if the sensitivity is about 88 dB or less. Has anyone listened to this type speaker?

Re: Low crossover 2-way

Originally posted by rpb View Post
    Has anyone listened to this type speaker?
    Yes . . . I've got several variants in the works too. The weakness tends to be that the high end is no better than the mid-tweeter (which nevertheless can be very good), the strengths are many: low order crossovers are easy, there's no beaming or lobing to worry about around the crossover frequency, crossing around baffle step generally addresses that issue, they're easy to make omni, and they tend to sound better than the typical woofer-crossed-too-high-to-a-cheap-tweeter two way.

Aura, HiWave, Peerless and Tang Band all make very satisfactory 2" and 3" "full range" drivers that serve well in this kind of application, and almost any of the mid-woofers (even including such old stalwarts as the DC160) work well when you get off them low enough. I think it's the best way to build good sounding low cost speakers.
    "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

I know there have been a few using Fostex FF85K at DIYaudio that are crossed about 300Hz, and I know I've seen an entire 5 channel surround system somewhere that used a Fountek 3" fullrange with a pair of DA175 in MTM config. This type of design certainly has benefits in the polar/power response, downside being the high-frequency off axis of a 3" tweeter.

I am currently working on a speaker using a 3" TangBand fullrange with a 6.5" woofer. The Tang-Band has a high Qts, so I will be experimenting with an open baffle set up for this one, running the TB open baffle, and the woofer in a ported cabinet for bass.
      I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

Originally posted by Deward Hastings View Post
        Yes . . . I've got several variants in the works too. The weakness tends to be that the high end is no better than the mid-tweeter (which nevertheless can be very good), the strengths are many: low order crossovers are easy, there's no beaming or lobing to worry about around the crossover frequency, crossing around baffle step generally addresses that issue, they're easy to make omni, and they tend to sound better than the typical woofer-crossed-too-high-to-a-cheap-tweeter two way.

Aura, HiWave, Peerless and Tang Band all make very satisfactory 2" and 3" "full range" drivers that serve well in this kind of application, and almost any of the mid-woofers (even including such old stalwarts as the DC160) work well when you get off them low enough. I think it's the best way to build good sounding low cost speakers.
        I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but I thought the potential sound quality was very high bang for the buck. Low cost speakers are not something I generally attempt. This one however, had distortion levels from about 300 hz up, that were almost as low as my "best" speakers that I use as mains. I figure a $20 to $40 woofer might be a good match, but a $80 woofer would be overkill in a setup like this.

Comment

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/Pluto-2.1.htm

what looks like a tweeter is actually a small fullrange

Comment

Here's one made by a guy who like to paint pretty little dots all over his speakers.

Here's another by the Germans.
            I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post2752617
              "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

&roids:

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...aker/Androids/

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I think one of the challenges is a 2" "full range" will become directional at about 6-7K sacrificing power response. Depending on design goals this can be desirable, or not. Generally "fullrange" I have heard are more sensitive to room placement.

Personally, Most of my favorite speakers have tweeters crossed above 4K with an extremely capable, small (4"max) midrange which is extended below 500Hz. Really, if you look at it it is about keeping the critical midrange to a single driver. Below about 1K, I also believe the increased Sd of a 3-4"midrange helps.

So a single fullrange driver is 1/2 way there, but there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Comment

Working...
                  X