3M Undercoat Used By WWWJD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3M Undercoat Used By WWWJD?

I think it's the same stuff but I couldn't get an answer either. It leaves a nice dark texture. I don't have any pics that show the detail up close and I am stuck at work all weekend. If I get a chance I'll upload a close up pic for you later.

Comment

No need for a pic unless you really want to, if you say it looks the same that's fine. I got the similar paintable product so, I'll just try it. Thanks again.

Comment

Ummmm...yeah...back on topic...(Edit: looks like they deleted the spam post above mine...thanks PE!)
        The paint-able stuff will be a bit different, but it is still just rubberized undercoating. If you scrape it with your nail, and it is warm out, or if it has been in the sun, it will come away gummy. Try it on a scrap piece of MDF...wait a couple days and paint it, just to see...Then if it feels ok to you, by all means use it.
        Last edited by Kevin G.; 04-22-2012, 12:29 PM.
        If I can't afford it...I don't need it

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin G. View Post
          Ummmm...yeah...back on topic...
          The paint-able stuff will be a bit different, but it is still just rubberized undercoating. If you scrape it with your nail, and it is warm out, or if it has been in the sun, it will come away gummy. Try it on a scrap piece of MDF...wait a couple days and paint it, just to see...Then if it feels ok to you, by all means use it.
          Yes! I've only used it once maybe 20 years ago and I do remember that if you scraped it with your nail it came off, lol! I did plan to test it and the Duplicolor Truck bed stuff. Thanks again for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
            I just got a gallon of DuraTex, unfortunately have not had a chance to use it yet, but I will be doing so very soon. My thought was to use it for baffles and portable speakers. I have no pro stuff, so I won't be using it for its intended application. From the research I have done, this appears to be some pretty decent stuff.....not smelly or a PITA to work with either.

http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/
            Thanks for the link - I watched that and it looks good if I ever have a big job to do.

Comment

Working...
            X