Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers for 2000 sq.ft Room.

Hello friends,
    I need some advice on making a Speaker set for my Boss, Also a Relative.
    His Listening room is 35' x 55' and floor height of 10 Ft
    He had come to home for my son's birthday, and was very amazed listening to my Diy MTM 5,25" TL Speakers.
    Now I have to make a set for him.

His wants to pair speakers with a 400 watts rms @ 8 Ohms per channel Vintage amp he has.

Doing a system for such a large space is difficult me.
    I have some initial thoughts, about making a array with 8 x Tang band 1139SIF in TL for lows, abut 4 to 6 5,25" or 6.5" drivers for Mids and no of tweeters as needed.

Kindly guide and advice .

Re: Speakers for 2000 sq.ft Room.

How big was the listening area for the MTM 5,25" TL Speakers?
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
      How big was the listening area for the MTM 5,25" TL Speakers?
      10' x 15' height 9'

Comment

The audition room is 1350 cu ft and the target room is 18150 cu ft - over 13 times greater volume.
        This of course does not take into consideration the acoustics of the respective areas but it does give a idea of the difference in the volume of air.
        I have an open "lively" area about 27,000 cu ft; to drive it to my satisfaction I use 4 8's for upper bass and mids and 2 15's for bass.
        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

The audition room is 1350 cu ft and the target room is 18150 cu ft - over 13 times greater volume.
          This of course does not take into consideration the acoustics of the respective areas but it does give a idea of the difference in the volume of air.
          I have an open "lively" area about 27,000 cu ft; to drive it to my satisfaction I use 4 8's for upper bass and mids and 2 15's for bass.
          Tang band 1139SIF is a good bass driver, What do you say about using 6 to 8 of these per channel for bass purpose , I suppose it will give good and dynamic Low end

Comment

Tang band 1139SIF is a good bass driver,
            Sorry I have no ears-on to judge...
            So in similar scenarios: I evaluate the volume and acoustic nature of the target area. General calculations can be made to estimate how much air must be move to achieve a target SPL, but in an enclosed area the situation changes.
            A room can be heavily upholstered and "dead", or be lively reflecting a lot of sound back. That makes a large difference.
            8 6's Sd area approximate 2 12's - so I'm inclined to say it should be sufficient.
            However don't know the target SPL and crest factor of the music to be played either.
            Also consider that placing drivers in a line introduces another aspect of directivity, which means careful placement with regard to the audience.
            A suggestion: take those same speakers and try them out in the big room, spend some time and use an SPL meter.
            Map the room and determine if the goal is for sound focused in a sweet spot or sound dispersed as evenly as possible.

Comment

Budget has a lot to factor in.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-782

two of these = 900

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-742

two of these = 1100 total is 2k

Comment

Sorry I have no ears-on to judge...
                So in similar scenarios: I evaluate the volume and acoustic nature of the target area. General calculations can be made to estimate how much air must be move to achieve a target SPL, but in an enclosed area the situation changes.
                A room can be heavily upholstered and "dead", or be lively reflecting a lot of sound back. That makes a large difference.
                8 6's Sd area approximate 2 12's - so I'm inclined to say it should be sufficient.
                However don't know the target SPL and crest factor of the music to be played either.
                Also consider that placing drivers in a line introduces another aspect of directivity, which means careful placement with regard to the audience.
                A suggestion: take those same speakers and try them out in the big room, spend some time and use an SPL meter.
                Map the room and determine if the goal is for sound focused in a sweet spot or sound dispersed as evenly as possible.

This place is actually his weekend Farm house, where he hosts parties for business colleagues. It is going to be music and movies in 50-50 ratio. I suppose it is focussed in a sweet spot

W6-1139SIF has SENSITIVITY 1W/1m 83 dB.
                So what is your opinion, should it be 6 of them per channel or 8.
                and which woofers and tweeters to combine for mids and highs and how many.

I am going to need big time guidance for Enclosure modelling and crossovers.

Comment

Any possibility that the lines can be set at the ceiling pointing down?

Comment

It really depends on the expectation - what does he have now that he doesn't like? I think cloning some sort of prosound system is probably the best option. If you don't have directivity all you will hear is reverb.

Comment

Originally posted by philiparcario View Post
                      Budget has a lot to factor in.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-782

two of these = 900

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-742

two of these = 1100 total is 2k
                      Good advice - unless you've got 10-20 years experience designing crossovers, build a proven system (advice given on this site nearly daily). If not, with this system you will likely be disappointed in a very loud fashion.

Read the 2nd and 3rd stickies at the top of this forum. There are many suitable proven designs or even complete kits on PE and Madisound sites.

Comment

Any possibility that the lines can be set at the ceiling pointing down?
                        i DID NOT UNDERSTAND THIS

Comment

Sorry...
                          The lines would be mounted high at ceiling level pointing at a downward angle. Basically it would offer the sound a cleaner path ( above head and down ) and throw to the back as opposed to ground level where the bodies. Bodies make good high frequency absorbers. It's the rationale for "flying" speakers in pro sound.
                          The best speaker design cannot overcome a bad room or poor placement.
                          If the boss wanted to impress the clients AND money wasn't a critical factor, I'd seriously consider the CBT design, I think it could pay back in impressing the clients by virtue of uniqueness and the background story.
                          Of course If this room has bad acoustics that has to be dealt with.

Comment

The OP has built speakers in the past from proven designs, so I recommend building another proven design (especially since it's for your boss and they have to perform).

The Pete Schumacher "Schumakubin" design (named as a mash-up between the name of the designer and the person they were designed for) has four 7" aluminum-cone woofers (addressing the bass issue), and the drivers are all from the Dayton product line (addressing the budget/value issue).

"Schumakubins" on Photobucket

These should be very good performers in the intended space. In the bass range, all four 7" drivers drive the same 7" volume, giving the combined piston area of an effectively 14"-diameter driver, and there's no better material for bass drivers than aluminum. The tweeter in this design is the "RS28A" with the aluminum dome, not the "RS28F" with the fabric dome. The two are not interchangeable.
                            Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
                              Good advice - unless you've got 10-20 years experience designing crossovers, build a proven system (advice given on this site nearly daily). If not, with this system you will likely be disappointed in a very loud fashion.

Read the 2nd and 3rd stickies at the top of this forum. There are many suitable proven designs or even complete kits on PE and Madisound sites.
                              I have done crossovers for my TL MTM's, and for few of my friends.
                              But nothing big as utilizing so many drivers.

Comment

Working...
                              X