• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRT
    replied
    Re: 12 Channel 6 zone advice

Originally posted by dian1511 View Post
    Yes, that looks like it should be a good solution.

Leave a comment:

• dian1511
    replied

Would this preamp work?

http://www.htd.com/Products/Lync/Lync12

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied

Hi All,

I need advice on how I can use an ATI AT6012 12 channel 6 zone amp in my home for multiple rooms. I originally purchased this amp to power a Linkwitz Orion, but would now like to just use it to pump music through the house. What kind of preamp should I or could I get? Am not sure how to make the connections.

http://www.ati-amp.com/manuals/at6012manual.pdf

Thanks,

Darren
    I'd suggest one or two used Adcom GFB-800 populated with expansion cards. Each will switch multiple sources to five zones with separately controlled level and remote control. Multiple units can be interconnected to control more zones.

I have no connection with owners of the links below, just found them while looking for links to more info on GFB-800 on Google, for use in this post.

link to an eBay auction for used populated GFB-800 multi-room preamp controller

Below are links to descriptions of these:

http://www.users.interport.net/a/d/adcom/gfb800.html

http://www.users.interport.net/a/d/adcom/remote.html

Leave a comment:

• emilime75
    replied

Not with the current offerings. Home audio distribution work has not been plentiful around here for the last few years. I do have experience with the older Russound distribution products and have found them to great. They are reliable, easy to use and just work well. I have no reason to think the newer products would be any different.

Leave a comment:

• jheizer
    replied

Do you happen to have any experience with the Russound? I have been debating the 4 zone of that series.

Leave a comment:

• emilime75
    replied

3. The home is wired for audio distribution.
    Is it also wired for data? Cat5/6?

Unfortunately, most systems today combine the amplifier and the preamp for an all in one unit. Having separate preamp and amp for multi zone distributiuon is not common any more. If you can still find it, and there are some still floating around, the SpeakerCraft Easy6 would do what you need. Elan, Niles and Russound also used to make a nice 6 source-6 zone preamps, but they don't anymore as far as I know. There is a Xantech product, the XAZPR6810, which is an 8 source-6 zone plus composite video distribution device. It's still available for about a grand, pretty pricy in my opinion.

These days, unless you find a great deal on an NOS or used item, for what you could spend on a distribution preamp along with remotes or keypads for each zone, you'd be better off selling your amp and buying the Russound CAA66. It's a complete kit, 6 source-6 zone preamp/amp and it comes with 6 inwall keypads and a remote. http://compare.ebay.com/like/1507685..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Leave a comment:

• dian1511
    replied

Originally posted by emilime75 View Post
    The answer to your question depends on the answers to a few other questions first. For instance, do you want to have the ability to play different sources in different zones? How about the ability to control source selection and/or volume from each individual zone? If your home isn't already wired for audio and/or distribution, are you willing to do so?

Knowing the answer to those will make it easier to make suggestions.
    1. If possible, it would be nice to play music in one zone, while someone else watches a movie in another zone.
    2. Independent volumes would also be preferable in different zones.
    3. The home is wired for audio distribution.

Leave a comment:

• emilime75
    replied

Hi All,

I need advice on how I can use an ATI AT6012 12 channel 6 zone amp in my home for multiple rooms.
    The answer to your question depends on the answers to a few other questions first. For instance, do you want to have the ability to play different sources in different zones? How about the ability to control source selection and/or volume from each individual zone? If your home isn't already wired for audio and/or distribution, are you willing to do so?

Knowing the answer to those will make it easier to make suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• dian1511
    replied

Originally posted by scottq View Post
    With a 28k-Ohm input impedance, running all channels in parallel could present a challenge to your preamp (several factors involved). Based on your description, it sounds like you're going to run 6 pairs of stereo (2 ch) speakers. So, without any buffers and just "splitting" it 6 ways, each channel of the preamp output would only see 28k/6 = ~4.6 k-Ohms. Most modern semiconductor-based (not tubes) preamps probably won't have too much trouble with that, but you may end up loosing some bass response. You could do this with a series of Y-cables, from one channel to the next. If you're electrically inclined, I'd suggest adding a 10k resistor in line with the outputs of your preamp outputs before splitting to all those channels. But, it may be totally unnecessary.

It's fairly common to use an in-wall speaker level volume control (something like this) at the various zone locations. In this case, you may not even need a "preamp" - perhaps just your device's output. Again, you'll need to consider it's output capability into a "low" impedance load.
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I am very much an electronic illiterate and am unable to follow most of your response. I did not know it would be that involved.

I'm not sure why they built an amp like this in the first place if it could not just be coupled to another control unit. That's where I'm scratching my head. Or is its only use with the Orion loudspeaker?

Thanks,

Darren

Leave a comment:

• scottq
    replied

With a 28k-Ohm input impedance, running all channels in parallel could present a challenge to your preamp (several factors involved). Based on your description, it sounds like you're going to run 6 pairs of stereo (2 ch) speakers. So, without any buffers and just "splitting" it 6 ways, each channel of the preamp output would only see 28k/6 = ~4.6 k-Ohms. Most modern semiconductor-based (not tubes) preamps probably won't have too much trouble with that, but you may end up loosing some bass response. You could do this with a series of Y-cables, from one channel to the next. If you're electrically inclined, I'd suggest adding a 10k resistor in line with the outputs of your preamp outputs before splitting to all those channels. But, it may be totally unnecessary.

It's fairly common to use an in-wall speaker level volume control (something like this) at the various zone locations. In this case, you may not even need a "preamp" - perhaps just your device's output. Again, you'll need to consider it's output capability into a "low" impedance load.

Leave a comment:

• dian1511
    started a topic 12 Channel 6 zone advice

12 Channel 6 zone advice

Hi All,

I need advice on how I can use an ATI AT6012 12 channel 6 zone amp in my home for multiple rooms. I originally purchased this amp to power a Linkwitz Orion, but would now like to just use it to pump music through the house. What kind of preamp should I or could I get? Am not sure how to make the connections.

http://www.ati-amp.com/manuals/at6012manual.pdf

Thanks,

Darren
Working...
X