need help with center channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with center channel

My first post, so I may not even be posting correctly. I would appreciate any advice/help in the design of a center channel to complement my main speakers. My mains are diy transmission lines with a viva p17w and a seas 27tdfc and a series xover. I love these speakers. My ideal center would use these drivers, have a series xover, and use a transmission line enclosure. I could be convinced on appropriate changes, but would like to know the whys. I am eager to learn more about xover design. I am especially eager to know what each xover component does and how to tweak a crossover for optimum performance.

I have corresponded with Roman Bednarek, who has graciously gotten me started. I have also corresponded with Curt Campbell who has also been very helpful. I am impressed with the diy designs on this site, and am looking for the best fit for my system.

Thank you for any responses you are able to send my way.

PS , I am open to the purchase of hardware or software or books that is essential to my further knowledge in this field.

Thanks again. yomac [email protected]

Re: need help with center channel

Originally posted by yomac View Post
    My first post, so I may not even be posting correctly. I would appreciate any advice/help in the design of a center channel to complement my main speakers. My mains are diy transmission lines with a viva p17w and a seas 27tdfc and a series xover. I love these speakers. My ideal center would use these drivers, have a series xover, and use a transmission line enclosure. I could be convinced on appropriate changes, but would like to know the whys. I am eager to learn more about xover design. I am especially eager to know what each xover component does and how to tweak a crossover for optimum performance.

I have corresponded with Roman Bednarek, who has graciously gotten me started. I have also corresponded with Curt Campbell who has also been very helpful. I am impressed with the diy designs on this site, and am looking for the best fit for my system.

Thank you for any responses you are able to send my way.

PS , I am open to the purchase of hardware or software or books that is essential to my further knowledge in this field.

Thanks again. yomac [email protected]

Welcome! While I'm not a XO designer, I do know what does not work, as I tried for years before I found this forum to get the textbook algebra and pre-made XO's to work. They never did. Corresponding with Roman and Curt will go a long way towards easing your learning curve. All I can suggest is what the others will say is a good place to start. Box design can be done with WinISD:

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

And Unibox:

http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/boxmodel/unibox.htm

Of course, Jeff Bagby's PCD for effective XO designing. A great book is Ray Alden's "Speaker Building 201". Well written and one of the better ones to come out in a while. Once you have a better understanding, "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" has a lot more in-depth info. It is laid out poorly, but that might have improved with the newest version...still a great resource in spite of the layout. I also recommend Paul's most-excellent write-ups on DIY speaker-ing, something that looks to be already in hand for you...but read everything under "Resources" at the right of the page if you haven't seen it already:

http://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy

Good luck and keep asking ?'s. None are too redundant or simple. My background is coming from about 20 years at a local (Seattle area) mom 'n pop audio store called The Stereo Shoppe in Olympia and Tacoma, WA. That alone lends itself to a perspective with the DIY-vs-store-bought speakers debate. The brand-name-speaker proponents that I have encountered with family & friends have all been "converted" once they've had an opportunity to hear differences between their personal speakers and the various designs I've built over the past 12-13 years. Granted, all the DIY speakers that I've built are OPD's, other persons designs. But after working in retail audio for those years, I've seen unacceptable build quality and XO design choices from not only recognized/popular brands, but the more expensive esoteric companies. Not to say that there aren't any amazing commercial speaker companies/designs out there that offer great value for the price, but they're increasingly harder to find with the demise of the type of emporiums where I worked, and the rise of big-box store outlets.

John A.
    "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
    Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
    Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
    Pioneer TX-9500 II
    Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
    Statement Monitors
    Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
    Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
    Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Re: need help with center channel

John, Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your insight and the recommendations. I have the Loudspeaker Cookbook. I will look at the recommended book. Thanks for the links also. I read some of your blogs. It sounds like you have an interesting background for an audiophile. Was Audiosonic big in your area? Any views on transmission line?

If anything else comes to mind concerning diy center channel, please send it my way. Thanks again.

yomac [email protected]

Comment

Working...
      X