X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bwaslo
    replied
    Re: Buyouts into a Synergy

Drivers about $194 for the pair (lets hear it for buyouts!).
    Crossovers about $80 (rough guess).
    Cabinets... too much. A lot of recutting, and test builds on the horns (which you can avoid if you use the spreadsheet).

And some tool purchases (do those count?) and glue, paint...I won't count the trouble im probably in for spending the past two days doing little but listening.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Yes! That's awesome. Good work, I've really wanted to build a set of these since the Aussie guy that built them into his living room walls finished his. What was the total price on the bom?

Leave a comment:

• bwaslo
    replied

I have two full speakers made with the diy Synergies now, and am very happy with the sound. Very fun project.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1142614
    Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1142615
    The cabinets actually took more time to make than the waveguides did!

Nice unified sound. I switched to the Celestion CDX1-1445 tweeter for these, as it has a wider exit angle and better HF response.

For anyone interested, I plan to have these at the MWAF next month, along with a SEOS12 design.
    more: http://libinst.com/SynergyDIY/front.jpg

Leave a comment:

• bwaslo
    replied

Winslow -- check the thread, the 2s get sealed up (mailing tubes behind them -- they do need some volume behind them, per Hornresponse).

Leave a comment:

• winslow
    replied

You probably should seal the backs of those 2s up or they probably won't work real well for you.

If you know anyone looking for mids to play with in a Unity, I have 4 new and 2 used Misco RDC3Ts that I need to get rid of.

Leave a comment:

• bwaslo
    replied

isaEagle,
    They might, but the ports would be too small then to have them produce bass at the same time.

Arlis,
    For this design, at least, you'd need four of each.... Maybe two each would work, haven't modeled that arrangement. Try running it through Horn Response. (Or spend another $22 for the other pair of each.... Assuming that what I'm making even works out ok. So far it's just HornResponse modeling and one measurement on a test mule)

Bill

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

Bill, I just happen to have two of each except for the compression driver and wondered what I would do with them.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

Very cool. I would have thought that the Auras would play high enough to mate up with the DE10 without the 2"ers

Leave a comment:

• bwaslo
    started a topic Buyouts into a Synergy

Buyouts into a Synergy

I just wanted to show off what I'm (trying to be) doing with some PE Buyout drivers. These will be using the 2" fullrange buyouts (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=289-127) and the Aura 6" buyouts (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-030), along with a (non-buyout) DE10 compression driver to make a DIY Synergy type horn.

Synergy is Tom Danley's concept that gives a high efficiency, controlled directivity, point source loudspeaker... and linear phase (can reproduce square waves) if the crossover is done like his. I don't know if mine will work out that nice yet, though! Maybe with a little MiniDSP help....

I made a spreadsheet (now in its third, and probably, final revision) to aid in figuring out the wood cuts for these beasts. Fun project, good times with a table saw... The spreadsheet and lots of pictures are in the thread over at http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/i....msg179#msg179
Working...
X