Vintage *** Radio Dipole replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage *** Radio Dipole replacement

I have a vintage Panasonic radio that uses a single full-range 16cm speaker in a Dipole configuration. The speaker is 16ohms (but i have audio resistors to match that)

-What Imperial size would be a good match?

-Would a modern full range driver be suitable?

-Instead should I try to put in a Coaxial speaker? (though I like the sound of a xover less design!)

-Does PE (or someone else?) have a driver that would be good for this?

I'm going to be using this radio for classic rock (nothing else... seriously)

Re: Vintage *** Radio Dipole replacement

A 6 1/4" 16 ohm full-range speaker would be a nearly "ideal" replacement, and they do exist. I'm not saying they are the easiest thing to find, but they're out there. Your radio's output stage can probably live with a 12 ohm speaker if you don't "crank it" too often, and full-range 12 ohm 6" speakers (make your own "adapter") aren't that hard to find, especially as close-outs, or "surplus". P-E had a good supply last year, sorry.

Comment

Re: Vintage *** Radio Dipole replacement

Yeah i was thinking about just adding an adapter of my own to the baffle to fit an 6-6 1/4 inch sized speaker. I almost never turn the amp past half way because it starts to overload the current speaker. (and it's plenty loud.) thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
      X