Jubilees almost done...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jubilees almost done...

I built them per the recipe, except I flush-mounted the drivers. That didn't leave enough material behind the woofer recess, so I glued on some blocks where the woofer screws go.

This is the first project where I've wound some of my own coils. I did it because I couldn't find the tweeter coils, though I was sure I'd bought them, and I had about 7 pounds of 18 gauge magnet wire hanging around. I needed less than an inch of 1" dowel, a couple of scraps of wood and 97 cents' worth of hardware. I chucked the jig in my drill press at its slowest speed, kinda guessed at how much wire I needed, overwound, then measured what I had on an LC meter and unwound until the numbers came out right. Very easy, very fast, very cheap. I don't want to mess with 15 gauge wire, but from now on I think I'll wind my own 18 and 20 gauge coils.

Now if I could only figure out how to make my own capacitors...

A review is forthcoming when the drivers are mounted and broken in, probably not before the weekend.

Best regards,
    Bill

So does this mean....

we will be subjected to a blatant flaunting of your woodworking skills again? And here I had an enjoyable weekend planned. But no, Bill. You had to go and up the ante and force me to attempt and build something half as nice as you usually come up with. Gee thanks pal. ;) I'm bracing for some great pics in the near future because I know you will turn out something killer.

shawn
    My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Comment

Re: Jubilees almost done...

Bill, I did a mini version of the Jubilees without flush mounting. I think flush mounting with get rid of that anomoly that follows into the off-axis response too. I think this can only help. I'm pretty happy with the results of this speaker. It doesn't get real loud but what it does it does good. For the price, I've been hard pressed to beat it. My hat off to Darren at PE for coming up with this design. I learned a lot from his design on how to make a 3 way. I'm sure that you will be very happy with the results. Regards, Paul.

Comment

Nope, just boring boxes

Plain boring MDF boxes, plain boring butt joints, probably plain boring truck bed liner as well. I recessed the drivers because I don't plan to make grilles for them. These are for my son; they'll replace a pair of NSB/Onkyo MTMs. He likes exposed drivers and black truck bed liner. He'd be even happier if I put a blue LED on each one as a dummy pilot light.

These are the only speakers I've made where the crossovers will be inaccessible once the box is glued up. That's a consequence of the tower design and of lining the back and sides behind the drivers with foam. Unlike Darren, I put a horizontal shelf brace at 22" above the bottom, and getting a screwdriver through it to unscrew the crossovers is not gonna happen. I'm being very careful to test everything before I install it.

The only recent project I have to flaunt is a gavel I made recently. Its only distinction is that I made it without a lathe. Ever try to turn a square cross-section piece of mahogany into a round one on a belt sander?

Pix when I finish.

Best regards,
        Bill

> we will be subjected to a blatant flaunting
        > of your woodworking skills again? And here I
        > had an enjoyable weekend planned. But no,
        > Bill. You had to go and up the ante and
        > force me to attempt and build something half
        > as nice as you usually come up with. Gee
        > thanks pal. ;) I'm bracing for some great
        > pics in the near future because I know you
        > will turn out something killer.

> shawn

Comment

Re: Jubilees almost done...

> Bill, I did a mini version of the Jubilees
          > without flush mounting. I think flush
          > mounting with get rid of that anomoly that
          > follows into the off-axis response too. I
          > think this can only help. I'm pretty happy
          > with the results of this speaker. It doesn't
          > get real loud but what it does it does good.
          > For the price, I've been hard pressed to
          > beat it. My hat off to Darren at PE for
          > coming up with this design. I learned a lot
          > from his design on how to make a 3 way. I'm
          > sure that you will be very happy with the
          > results. Regards, Paul.

Thanks, Paul. I saw your posts; they look really nice.

I did clamp one box together and install the drivers, and I agree the system sounds very good but lacks sensitivity compared to the Audax HT MTMs I have sitting on my bench. For the intended application (my son's darned hip-hop music), that's not a problem, at least for me :-) The limited low end on the Jubilees is not a problem; he's got a vented 15" Quatro sub.

As I said to Shawn, I flush-mounted the drivers for visual esthetics rather than aural ones, but I believe the flush mounting helps a lot with the mids. That Peerless buyout mid is a very nice driver. Problem is, I keep wondering what the RS mid dome is going to be like, and I also itch to put together a 3-way with the existing Dayton drivers. There's a lot of exciting designs out for these now, and I have a shelf full of RS 28s, 125s, 150s, 180s and 225s just waiting to be used. There just isn't enough time. To paraphrase an old cliche, work is the curse of the speaker-buiding classes!

Best regards,
          Bill

Comment

Working...
          X