Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunfire MK IV Need passive radiator

Hello,
    I have a Sunfire MK IV that has a blown passive radiator. Does anyone know a suitable replacement passive radiator for it? I'm hoping i can solve this problem seeings how i replaced the driver with a HI Vi Sp10 10" and it did the same thing after installation.. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David

Re: Sunfire MK IV Need passive radiator

Originally posted by David edge View Post
    Hello,
    I have a Sunfire MK IV that has a blown passive radiator. Does anyone know a suitable replacement passive radiator for it? I'm hoping i can solve this problem seeings how i replaced the driver with a HI Vi Sp10 10" and it did the same thing after installation.. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David
    I'm curious. What did it do after installation.

You may be able to find a Sunfire radiator on Ebay. A couple of years ago I did a replacement for a guy using a CSS APR10 radiator. But it is pushed pretty hard in this small box. So far I believe it has held up, but it's not built like the Sunfire radiator. What is wrong with the Sunfire radiator? Can it be repaired (ie; new surround)? That would be a better solution.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Thanks for getting back.. After i installed the new hivi driver. It broke up.. it pop like something was rattling inside.. i naturally thought it was the driver when i replaced it.. but discovered the passive radiator was to blame for the noise.. when i placed my hand on it and the rattling when away during a playback of a certain test sound on a dvd. i was told the passive speaker never goes.. i guess i was misinformed. I contacted Rita.. she told me she didnt have a source for a replacement or a rebuild.. which i thought was odd for the passive radiator. so here i sit... with a now 600.00 investment dust collector..
      If you know of a source for a rebuild please let me know or a suitable ready made replacement i can buy would be great.. Or if you know someone who rebuilt the MK IV in another case using the components of the sunfire but used a ported or sealed setup with ready available parts that would be awesome as well..
      Thanks,
      David

Comment

Try these guys. Everything "Carver".

www.vintagehifipgh.com/

Comment

GM,
          Are these guys.. " Everything Caver" on this forum? or should i do a google search for everything caver ?
          Thanks,
          David

Comment

Have you inspected the PR? Maybe the weight came loose and be repaired easily.
            "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I if go with Faces suggestion first. if it's rattling but otherwise works, might just be a loose weight. Weights are typically just held in with a bolt or glued in place so they can come lose.
              The rule of thumb for PRs is to have twice the displacement of the driver, so if using the same size PR as the driver, you need twice the excursion. Since Sunfire drivers and PRs are such high excursion, it would be difficult to find a replacement to match them. You can go lower excursion, but run the risk of hitting xmax of the PR.
              Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
              Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
              Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
              Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
              Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Wow,
                This is what i feared.. I have looked at some other posts on the web.. and it seems that is the consensus.. So i guess.. its back to the drawing board.. Now that it seems there are no suitable ready made replacement PR's for the MK IV... Does anyone know a really good repair guy who has experience on the Sunfire MK IV rebuilding the PR's? and if not.. Has anyone made up a decent sounding subwoofer from the parts of the MK IV? I know.. im asking alot.. but ive invested in this sub and if i sell it for parts i wont recapture a 10th of my investment.. any suggestions and help would be great.. and thanks so far for your responses...
                David

Comment

There's a few options:

1. Confirm the PR is irreparably damaged. Just because a weight is loose doesn't mean it's dead. Just Glue it back on.

2. Use a 10" PR with the highest xmax you can find. It may not have enough xmax to match the Sunfire's driver at full power, but will work fine until it runs out of xmax.

3. Rebuild. Take apart the Sunfire and measure the weight of the PR's moving assembly (with any added mass included) so you know what the initial design was tuned to. Build a larger enclosure to use either a single 15" or two 12" PRs that will equate to 2x the volume of air moved by the SP10 (Sd*Xmax). If using 15" PR, place PR in back with SP10 in front and amp on side. If using 12" PRs, place SP10 in front, amp in back and one 12" PR on each side. You'll have to model how much mass is needed to add to each PR to get to the same tuning in the new box size (or change the tuning if you'd like to whatever you like).

1 is easiest, just take out the PR. 2 is easy also, just costs more and will probably work fine for 90% of what you need it for (unless you run the sub near max constantly, which is unlikely).

EDIT:

These PRs might work pretty well, have good xmax:
                  http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...ate-to-l26roy/
                  http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...sive-radiator/

Here's another one, but it doesn't show the xmax anywhere, so don't know how much air it can move.
                  http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...sive-radiator/
                  Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
                  Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
                  Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
                  Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
                  Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Thanks for getting back.. After i installed the new hivi driver. It broke up.. it pop like something was rattling inside.. i naturally thought it was the driver when i replaced it.. but discovered the passive radiator was to blame for the noise.. when i placed my hand on it and the rattling when away during a playback of a certain test sound on a dvd. i was told the passive speaker never goes.. i guess i was misinformed. I contacted Rita.. she told me she didnt have a source for a replacement or a rebuild.. which i thought was odd for the passive radiator. so here i sit... with a now 600.00 investment dust collector..
                    If you know of a source for a rebuild please let me know or a suitable ready made replacement i can buy would be great.. Or if you know someone who rebuilt the MK IV in another case using the components of the sunfire but used a ported or sealed setup with ready available parts that would be awesome as well..
                    Thanks,
                    David
                    I'm with the other guys. The first thing you should do is pull the passive radiator and inspected it. Try to find what is rattling. If the surround is still intact and attached to the aluminum plate, then you may just have a loose weight. This is something a little tube of epoxy could cure.

Comment

Wow,
                      This is what i feared.. I have looked at some other posts on the web.. and it seems that is the consensus.. So i guess.. its back to the drawing board.. Now that it seems there are no suitable ready made replacement PR's for the MK IV... Does anyone know a really good repair guy who has experience on the Sunfire MK IV rebuilding the PR's? and if not.. Has anyone made up a decent sounding subwoofer from the parts of the MK IV? I know.. im asking alot.. but ive invested in this sub and if i sell it for parts i wont recapture a 10th of my investment.. any suggestions and help would be great.. and thanks so far for your responses...
                      David
                      What do you have against checking the passive radiator to see what is loose? It could be an easy fix.

I have extensive experience working the sunfire sub, retrofitting a different passive radiator with it (did this for someone last year), and I can easily help you set things up in another box if it comes to that. But... let's first see if we can fix what you have.

Comment

Jeff,
                        Ok.. in another post someone suggested i look at the weight.. the weight seems to be attached fine.. however after closer inspection.. and why i didnt notice this before.. the front of the weight that is connected to a plate that is glued to the front PR surface.. for lack of better terminology.. a portion of it has come unglued. about a quarter of it.. I notice it when i pushed from the face inward towards the weight in the center of the cage.

Any suggestions? Can i re-glue it? Is there a special adhesive to re-attach that plate.. Do i need a special Jig? Or should i use weights to hold it?
                        Thanks,
                        David

Comment

Go to home depot and use the best epoxy you feel like buying. Some may say they will be safe on most surfaces. I have had great luck with the LOCTITE 1 minute and 5 minute adhesive. The 5 minute actually held the spider frame (plastic) into the basket (metal) of an alpine type R subwoofer, and has been great for 3 years.

However, I dont think you will find one person alive who wont tell you that West Systems Epoxy is the best on mother earth. It can be found at Rockler woodworking and many other places.

Comment

Rotech,
                            I just happen to have west system epoxy on hand.. before i dive in.. how far in from the edge of the disk should i apply the epoxy? Im looking at it and i figured i could cut a round disk from wood.. then use a pair of calls and a few clamps after i apply the epoxy to insure a solid bond. I know the west system takes about 24 hours to fully cure. I have the 105 resin and 207 hardener and the 205 hardener. Do you think it matters which one i use? I know im nit picking but i want to do a stellar repair and one that lasts.

Oh and to everyone who has posted.. thanks a bunch...
                            David

Comment

Rotech,
                              I just happen to have west system epoxy on hand.. before i dive in.. how far in from the edge of the disk should i apply the epoxy? Im looking at it and i figured i could cut a round disk from wood.. then use a pair of calls and a few clamps after i apply the epoxy to insure a solid bond. I know the west system takes about 24 hours to fully cure. I have the 105 resin and 207 hardener and the 205 hardener. Do you think it matters which one i use? I know im nit picking but i want to do a stellar repair and one that lasts.

Oh and to everyone who has posted.. thanks a bunch...
                              David
                              Logically,
                              I would say to use as little as necessary. the more weight you add will change the tuning of the cabinet. West systems is a trust inspiring product, should not take much.

Comment

Working...
                              X