Cabinet Finishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet Finishing

I'm working on finishing my sub cabinet (well, partially refinishing), and I wanted to get a few opinions.

My first task is refinishing the cabinet. I'm planning on painting it black again, probably with a textured finish (I originally did it with truck bed coating spray). I want to put on a base coat to seal the raw MDF and to lay the color down so I don't have to use much of the texture spray (it was like $8 a can, and I used several cans the first time). I'm thinking about using brush on black acrylic enamel, probably two coats. What do you think about this, and what do you use as a base coat/sealer?

Second I'm finally making a grill for the front. I've got the frame ready to go and I've got the fabric, I just have to attach the fabric and press in the snaps. I've read online of people using staples, hotmelt glue, spray glue, etc to attach the fabric. Whats the concensus on the easiest way to attach the fabric?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Steve

Re: Cabinet Finishing

For a base under a dark, textured finish, I would use satin black paint. Flat can have quite a rough texture, and absorb too much topcoat. You can vary the base color. Also, I always cover those textured finishes with clear satin or gloss enamel or poly. Varathane Diamond finish is my fave.

I would use staples for the grille.

Comment

Steve,
      Prime the MDF with primer, not paint. I've used Krylon sandable primer with good results. It comes in a spray can that will give a smoother finish than brushing on a primer. Sand the MDF with 220 on the flats, 100,150, 220 on the cut ends until they take on a satin look. Two or three coats of primer on the flat parts and 4 coats on the cut ends will be sufficient. You can then apply a lacquer or enamel finish.

To attach the grill cloth to the frame, use 3M #77 spray adhesive. Apply one coat to the back edge only and allow to dry. Apply a second coat and let dry for a minute or two. Attach the grill cloth to one side, starting from the center and working toward the ends. Go to the opposite side and stretch the cloth tight. Do the ends of the frame the same way. Fold the corners at a 45 degree angle and cut off the excess.

Comment

Re: Cabinet Finishing *PIC*

Provided Link: More pictures

I used a spray on, sandable primer before applying my texture finish.

For the grill, I used a groove+spline method, such as that used on window and door screens.

Pros: even tension on the fabric; easy to tighten, loosen or replace fabric (simply pull out the spline); and is more forgiving and less messy than spray adhesive.

Cons: limitations on how thin the frame can be; creating the grooves can be tricky, but it really doesn't matter where you put them (i.e. on the backside like I did, or on the inner lip) or how you make them; finding appropriate spline material - may or may not be able to find stock screen spline that fits your needs - I used old phone wire.

Comment

What do you use for the texture finish?

> I used a spray on, sandable primer before
          > applying my texture finish.

> For the grill, I used a groove+spline
          > method, such as that used on window and door
          > screens.

> Pros: even tension on the fabric; easy to
          > tighten, loosen or replace fabric (simply
          > pull out the spline); and is more forgiving
          > and less messy than spray adhesive.

> Cons: limitations on how thin the frame can
          > be; creating the grooves can be tricky, but
          > it really doesn't matter where you put them
          > (i.e. on the backside like I did, or on the
          > inner lip) or how you make them; finding
          > appropriate spline material - may or may not
          > be able to find stock screen spline that
          > fits your needs - I used old phone wire.

Comment

Do you have a "how to" for doing that groove+spline? I think I recall you posting it once before, but I've managed to lose it.

> I used a spray on, sandable primer before
            > applying my texture finish.

> For the grill, I used a groove+spline
            > method, such as that used on window and door
            > screens.

> Pros: even tension on the fabric; easy to
            > tighten, loosen or replace fabric (simply
            > pull out the spline); and is more forgiving
            > and less messy than spray adhesive.

> Cons: limitations on how thin the frame can
            > be; creating the grooves can be tricky, but
            > it really doesn't matter where you put them
            > (i.e. on the backside like I did, or on the
            > inner lip) or how you make them; finding
            > appropriate spline material - may or may not
            > be able to find stock screen spline that
            > fits your needs - I used old phone wire.

Comment

Provided Link: Rust-oleum Satin Enamel Finish

> What do you use for the texture finish?
              I've only done the one speaker, but I used Rustoleum Black Satin Enamel. I suppose it isn't really a textured paint, but there is a texture to it. It has a deceiving "commercial look" IMO.

Comment

> Do you have a "how to" for doing
                > that groove+spline? I think I recall you
                > posting it once before, but I've managed to
                > lose it.

Here's the old post: <A HREF="http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=236263">http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=236263</A>

I don't have a groove cutting bit, so I used my table saw. I used 1/2" square oak stock, and cut a 1/4" groove, which wasn't the safest situation, but it worked. I cut triangular corner braces out of poplar, and used biscuts to join them to the 1/2" frame pieces. You could easily use a sheet of MDF, cut out the center, and use a groove cutting bit to make a groove around the inside.

Honestly, all you need is a groove all the way around, then find spline material that fits snugly in the groove. It could be anything from wire, cut off zip ties, dowels, screen spline, thin trimmings off of a thin board, etc...

Hope that helps...

Comment

> What do you use for the texture finish?

The stuff I used the first time around (and will use again) is Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating. I get the spray cans from Autozone for like $8 a can. There are other similar products elsewhere. It gives a finish somewhat similar to 60 or 80 grit sandpaper.

I've also used (on a computer case) Rustoleum black hammered metal spraypaint. It has a more gloss finish and isn't quite a solid black, probably closer to a charcoal.

Comment

Working...
                  X