Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Line Array driver question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another Line Array driver question

    Hey I'm here to get advice yet again. I was so sure I was set on 12 Dayton Nd140s per side but my wife asked me to do 9 instead for height sake. So now I'm thinking of moving to a 6-1/2 and doing nine per side of those. But saw that if crossed to a tweeter too high you could run into comb filtering issues. So I have a small list of drivers and was hoping to get a tally on what would you use if you were building an array. I want impact, if I could get to 60-70 hz I'd be fine. I just want clarity, dynamic, chest thumping audio

    12 Dayton nd105s
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-214

    9 hivi m6n
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=297-441

    Or 9 of peerless offerings
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1146

    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1088

    Or stick with 9 nd140s and wait until August for the drivers?

    Thanks
    Dan

  • #2
    Re: Another Line Array driver question

    Please fix your links. They all are the same (M6N).
    Craig

    I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Another Line Array driver question

      Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
      Please fix your links. They all are the same (M6N).
      Thanks for the heads up, have no idea how that happened. Any input on what you think you'd use?

      Dan

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Another Line Array driver question

        nobody?

        Dan

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Another Line Array driver question

          you need to read a little more into the design hurdles surrounding a LA before you start throwing drivers at it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Another Line Array driver question

            My choice would be the Peerless 830656. Perfect cone size for an array, truncated frames allow for closer center to center spacing to the tweeters, nice bass extension when considering multiples and inexpensive.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Another Line Array driver question

              each one of these drivers will come with it's own set of issues. I'd use ND105 either 9 or 12 units, wired series/parallel. You could add a center mounted tweeter or a line of tweeters. DSP via 2496 or mini DSP could also work. Lots of options.
              Comb filtering is not likely to be an issue but a high frequency loss with the use of larger drivers will present a problem for sure. 60-70hz is a bit optimistic if you use 105s. I'd say 100hz is more like it. Add a sub or subS later on for a full range coverage.
              HTH
              Roman.
              http://www.diy-ny.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Another Line Array driver question

                Originally posted by saabracer23 View Post
                I was so sure I was set on 12 Dayton Nd140s per side but my wife asked me to do 9 instead for height sake. So now I'm thinking of moving to a 6-1/2 and doing nine per side of those.
                If its "for height sake" - you do realize that 9 of any of those is significantly taller than 12 of the 4" Daytons? (63" min vs. 49.5") :p

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Another Line Array driver question

                  Forget what your wife says. Buy the speakers you want.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Another Line Array driver question

                    Originally posted by saabracer23 View Post
                    Hey I'm here to get advice yet again. I was so sure I was set on 12 Dayton Nd140s per side but my wife asked me to do 9 instead for height sake. So now I'm thinking of moving to a 6-1/2 and doing nine per side of those. But saw that if crossed to a tweeter too high you could run into comb filtering issues. So I have a small list of drivers and was hoping to get a tally on what would you use if you were building an array. I want impact, if I could get to 60-70 hz I'd be fine. I just want clarity, dynamic, chest thumping audio

                    12 Dayton nd105s
                    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-214

                    9 hivi m6n
                    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=297-441

                    Or 9 of peerless offerings
                    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1146

                    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1088

                    Or stick with 9 nd140s and wait until August for the drivers?

                    Thanks
                    Dan
                    Much more cost effective:

                    http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...ck-cone-4-ohm/

                    http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...ne-wide-range/

                    If you really want to save money:

                    http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...er-cone-8-ohm/

                    Don't use 6-1/2 inch drivers for a line array or you will indeed run into comb filtering issues unless you cross over low. If you do that, you will be forced to use a tweeter which is able to cross over low. Additionally if you want to array your tweeters as well, you will need a number of them and they need to be very small. Very small tweeters which are able to cross over low are not easily found and will be expensive.

                    Everything is a trade off. The above linked drivers will work well at a reasonable cost.
                    “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

                    If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

                    Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Another Line Array driver question

                      Thanks all for the replys so far.

                      Sidi-this isn't my first rodeo when it comes to line arrays, it is with active crossovers, which in a sense should make it easier. I was just trying to get a little input on which drivers people would choose for this project.

                      Well I think I'm going to drop the 6" and up drivers. I one did an array with 6-1/2" morels that I thought sounded ok, but I know I would need a robust tweeter. I think that if the nd105 can only go to 100 or so I would add a larger driver to the bottom of the cabinet. I don't want my 18 playing higher than 80. So I'll cross the lower driver to low enough to eliminate most directional frequencies. That'll add another channel of dsp and amplification.

                      Anyone know of a unit that'll equalize 6 channels?

                      I really like the looks of the 3" aura. Would I lose anything going from the 4" to the 3"? If I went with the 4" I'd do a line of 9 since I'll be adding a woofer to the bottom. Is I did the 3"s I'd do a line of 12". The fact that I'd have to pay shipping on the 3"s and I already have a few nd105s they'd pretty much be a wash on cost. Either way I don't care, if 12 3" is better than 9 4" I'll buy the 3" drivers.

                      So now, added to the equation, any recommendation on a woofer that would be able to keep up with all those mids? Will be high passed at 60 or so. If I did a single tweeter than I could buy a quality one. Any recommendations on that as well? This is becoming less and less of a line array!

                      Dan

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X