Countertop Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countertop Paint?

Anybody try this stuff or have any idea why it would or wouldn't yield favorable results for speaker cabs?http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=208

Re: Countertop Paint?

it must have good bonding qualities to work with laminate. there is always appliance epoxy paint too.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      it must have good bonding qualities to work with laminate. there is always appliance epoxy paint too.
      The instructions call for primer when using on bare wood. Seems almost counter-intuitive to me. No pun intended.

Comment

I just started the process of using this: www.gianigranite.com Should be interesting. Using the chocolate brown.

Comment

I have a good friend here at work, that is trying to sell his condo, and wanted to upgrade his 80's kitchen. He refinished his cabinets, and used the countertop stuff. He said he loves it. He says it looks like you put new countertops on it, without the labor or expense. He has showed me pictures of the before and after, I was pretty impressed. It is supposed to be very durable. Just follow the directions very closely. The "primer" stuff actually softens the old substrate... and gets it ready for the topcoat. He went out of his way to make the metal flake look random...(he's pretty ana! about how stuff looks.)
          If I can't afford it...I don't need it

Comment

Originally posted by martyh View Post
            I just started the process of using this: www.gianigranite.com Should be interesting. Using the chocolate brown.
            That looks like a step up. Looking forward to your results.

Comment

I'm looking for the way to integrate a waveguide into the baffle...this may be the trick. Many Thanks
              Mongo only pawn in game of life
              ____
              Ed

Comment

We tried that Rustoleum product on our old laminate countertops. We are disappointed. Mainly, we could not get it to go on without brush strokes. We even used a smooth foam roller and it's far from a uniform finish. It dries really fast, and if you go back over it while it's tacky you'll get bubbles, cracking, or brush strokes. It's also very "undurable". You'd want to seal it with a polyurethane or something similar if you did get it on smoothly.

We wanted it to work, but we consider it $20 wasted. You are probably better off with regular paint.

I considered doing the granite stuff last year when I first saw it, so I'm also anxious to hear how it works out for martyh.

Comment

That giani granite looks like a whole lot of work. I looked at a short video on their site, the kit appears to just be several different shades of paint and a sponge. You have to do all the tedious labour of painting a granite pattern by hand, then topcoat with poly to make it shiny. It would appear that anyone could do this with several different shades of paint, some small brushes and a swiss cheese sponge.
                  "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                  exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

The rustoleum stuff was at Lowes today, prices ranged from $80-$150 ish

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                    return to the source
                    leviathan system thread
                    deadhorse thread
                    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

I've been meaning to try the stuff they make for wood decks:
                      http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=SEARCH+ALL

wondering if it would have the effect of adding a thin slurry coat of cement to the cabinet, looks like tuff stuff
                      David

Comment

I applied the Giani Granite colors last evening and am satisfied with the results so far. I still need to do two coats of the topcoat to give it the sheen that granite has. Sorry to say that I won't post pictures as these are scheduled to debut in Iowa this October - sorry.

Comment

Did you put it over MDF? Did you go for the Granite look with the second color?
                          How big are the speakers? I considered using this but the surface is plywood
                          and it is not very flat due to the heavy grain.

Comment

Originally posted by martyh View Post
                            I applied the Giani Granite colors last evening and am satisfied with the results so far. I still need to do two coats of the topcoat to give it the sheen that granite has. Sorry to say that I won't post pictures as these are scheduled to debut in Iowa this October - sorry.
                            see how you are?
                            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                            Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                            http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
                              Did you put it over MDF? Did you go for the Granite look with the second color?
                              How big are the speakers? I considered using this but the surface is plywood
                              and it is not very flat due to the heavy grain.
                              I used it on a 1.5" MDF baffle (1" viewable and a half inc recessed into the enclosure). After sanding, sealing and sanding the bare MDF, I covered it with two coats of auto primer, then sanded again. I gave it a couple days to cure, then applied the Giani kits black base coat. Another couple days to dry and then to the three colors. The darker brown really added depth to the appearance, so I decided to mix in some of the black base color to give it additional depth - it worked.

They needed just a bit of touch-up, which was done this morning. Tomorrow I'll put the first of the two topcoats on. It's the clear topcoat that gives the shine and protects the surface when used on countertops as intended. We'll see what we see tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                              X