Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone recomend a CC to go with the Tarkus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recomend a CC to go with the Tarkus?

I've got the itch to go 5 channel again, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what CC might go good with the Tarkus? Ideally I'd like to use the same mids and tweeter as the Tarkus, but I don't think there's a proven CC design out there with that driver combo. If I were single, I'd just build another Tarkus, wall mount the TV, and move the av gear into a tall rack in the corner, but that's not gonna happen :( What do you guys think?
    My modest builds:
    Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
    Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
    Armadillo Center Channel
    Au-Rock-O Sub
    Tarkus
    Staining MDF tutorial

Re: Anyone recomend a CC to go with the Tarkus?

I'll bet paul could whip you up one. OR you could just use the Tarkus' top drivers and sim/design your own.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

I know I'm in the minority (as usual) but with all the Audessy equipped gear these days, I'm not convinced that you need to timbre match the LCR. I've been running phantom mode for two years and never missed the center channel. If I were doing it again, I'd look at some of the better quality single drivers (like the copper spike Daytons, or Fostex, Fountek, MarkAudio) I ran a Seas coax for quite awhile when I had a big tube TV, the off axis response was sweet.

Otherwise a small TM (vertical) would probably work. With the big flat screens it's tough to get all your speakers on the same horizontal plane anyway. So, you wind up with speaker that doubles as a "stand" for the tube. If you can find something that gets down to 60/70 Hz, you're probably got enough.
      Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
      "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
      Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Maybe a sealed version of the singularities? Hmm, that sounds interesting, I'm just wondering if a single driver would have enough HF dispersion for good seating area coverage in a CC.
        My modest builds:
        Armadillo Center Channel
        Au-Rock-O Sub
        Tarkus
        Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

drop the klipsch buyout on its side and mate it to a pair of 5-6" mids crossed nice and low.
          -H-
          MM

Comment

Funny this happens to be on here today. The misses loves the look of the Tarkus and gave the go ahead on them when the design was still in sim land (i built 2 out of cardboard and put 'em in the living room, to get her to see size and shape). They she dropped the bomb - "what about the center?". I do believe I asked about a possible center long ago, but never went anywhwere.

Unfortunately for me, i have the play the horizontal center game. Fortunately I have a good amount of room now to stack the TM and flank them with woofs.
            Thought about using the same TM, then possibly using the Mids as Woofs as well, or stepping up to 2 8" woofs from the same peerless line as the 10's in the Tarkus.

I am willing to commit to this project - I will make the time even with BUSY life going on, especially if we can get Paul involved on voicing. By commit, I mean make driver purchases, Build a box and send it to Paul if he is still doing x-overs for people. This of course gets much easier if more people are involved, ie; Hopefully talking Paul into it - Hint,Hint;) - someone draws the box, someone builds the test box (maybe close to Paul, so shipping is less), someone covers driver(s) cost, or find out how to bride the master behind the Tarkus (maybe he gets to keep the drivers, don't know - just spitballin')

So if 1 extra person is interested and commited = great, 2+ even better.
            THOMAS BROWN aka "STINKY"

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. - Peter Griffin

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, OR LIKE.
            SHUT UP, PUT DOWN THE WALLS OF PRETENSION FOR 1 SECOND AND JUST LISTEN TO THE SONGS
            - SCOTT IAN

Comment

I'm in if Paul is willing to expand on his design. The Tarkus deserves a full lineup, much like the many different versions of the Statements. At least a CC, and maybe a TM monitor/surround. Maybe we should send him a message?
              My modest builds:
              Armadillo Center Channel
              Au-Rock-O Sub
              Tarkus
              Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
                I'm in if Paul is willing to expand on his design. The Tarkus deserves a full lineup, much like the many different versions of the Statements. At least a CC, and maybe a TM monitor/surround. Maybe we should send him a message?
                Absolutely. I'd love to see a Tarkus CC. If Paul is uninterested, I'd be happy to take a crack at designing a match for you (with Paul's approval, of course).

BTW, give me a call, bud, I killed my phone and lost your number....:eek:

Mark
                You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
                  ...what CC might ...use the same mids and tweeter as the Tarkus
                  It looks like the mid could make the trip as an MTM (Fs is 52Hz), but the tweeter's bigger than you'd like, and sound quality will suffer if you cross low enough to avoid lobing. One option would be to use a different tweeter, smaller with better performance down as low as 1KHz. That constitutes a new design, and thus a fair amount of measurement, modleing and voicing.

Another option is to do as Lou suggested and ignore the driver matching in favor of a good CC. If so, and 9"x20" fits, this is my recommendation, but using the D3004/6020 tweeter that I'd recommend for a Peerless-based MTM CC. .
                  http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=11475

Have fun,
                  Frank

Comment

If CTC distance is the biggest problem with the tweeter, I think it could be trimmed a bit. It's plastic so it shouldn't be that difficult to do. Since the 6.5" peerless has a truncated frame, maybe truncating the tweeter would work. It looks like I could trim about 1/2" off either side of the tweeter faceplate, not sure if that gets us close enough though.
                    My modest builds:
                    Armadillo Center Channel
                    Au-Rock-O Sub
                    Tarkus
                    Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Also just noticed the Dayton RS28F is shipping with an extra truncated faceplate, may be a bit of an upgrade, and less work not having to modify an existing tweeter.
                      My modest builds:
                      Armadillo Center Channel
                      Au-Rock-O Sub
                      Tarkus
                      Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Mark,
                        I say go for it. I've heard your Duellati, and I think you have what it takes to do a matching center.

I'm sorry guys, but I honestly don't have the time for it right now. I just finished clearing out a huge backlog of custom projects, and now I have some long-overdue DIY repairs around my house I've been putting off.

-Paul
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

No problem, my friend, you saying I've got the chops for this is a huge stamp of approval, and I thank you for that. I'll do my best to do the Tarkus justice.

Mark
                          You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
                          X