Cooler Radio / Ice Chest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooler Radio / Ice Chest

Anyone make or own a Cooler that has speakers mounted on the outside with a jack for battery or plug hook up and also a spot to plug in you phone to play MP3's? Use it at tailgating or the beach etc??? I was looking for this on this site and did not see anything.

If its hard to figure out what I am talking about take a look at the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-kucSN7AWE

Re: Cooler Radio / Ice Chest

Conceptually similar to this:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...case-enclosure
    which, in turn, builds off of this:
    http://www.parts-express.com/project...roject=Podzuma

The video project looks like something a car guy would do. Jimi's and Darren's not so much, but I would wager they sound better. Not necessarily louder, but very likely better. I did something similar, but in a 2-piece approach called the Drive-ins intended for...

Have fun,
    Frank

Comment

Thank you for replying. However these too links talk about boom boxes not something I can put beer in and take it down to the beach and or tailgating. I want it to function as a cooler like its supposed too and have some sound that is great quality as well.

I wonder if I can take the podzuma and place it inside a cooler?????

Comment

My thought was to use the cooler volume as a tuned box like the suitcase, but beer and ice change volume so that's out... plus, they're wet. Relative to JimiTwoShoes, you want a suitcase speaker that carries suits. Same concept - it's still a portable speaker - just one that's more cooler, less speaker.

Water is the challenge. I'd suggest leveraging cooler construction - inner and outer shells with insulation between (in the good ones) - to your needs. As I see it, the challenge is to mount and connect the speakers, amp, battery and input interface, without perforating that inner liner. Mount shallow speakers to the outer shell, perhaps with surface spacers and use the gap to run the wires. Maybe even fit an amp, battery and input interface in the added space around any wheels or fancy handles. I'd watch out for condensation on the inner liner if it's open the air, as water is still not your friend.

Still lots to figure out for amp, battery and interface, but a lot of that's up to you. Others will chime in with options as you proceed... its how threads grow! It may need a bustle for the electronics and power, but very few speakers will offer you a beer.

BTW, the great thing about Podzuma is that it's fairly sensitive, it's a proven design (no need to measure drivers and design crossovers) and it fit Jimi's application. I don't think it fits your application, which seems better served by car audio drivers (shallow drivers, pre-designed XOs). The rest of Jimi's thread my be of interest as he's farther along, selecting amps, batteries, etc.

HAve fun,
        Frank

Comment

The lids are almost always hollow and would prob be best place to mount speakers and amp. This would also make the inputs easily accessible.

Sealed back drivers would negate need for box but would prob sound like crap......

Comment

An easy way to do this is to get an igloo ice cube wheeled cooler (27$ at SAMs), mount decent patio speakers ( Dayton 29$ on sale ?) forward of the handles on the side. Get an outdoor WLAN
            Box (11$ on amazon) mount on the back of the cooler. Get a dta-2 amp module, 5 ah sla battery
            ,Bluetooth module (the white plastic one parts express),a cigarette lighter plug,USB charger plug for cigarette lighter,can also use a solar 12 volt trickle charger to help keep battery charged ( 12$
            Harbor freight).mount dta-2 in box,attach amp, trickle charger and cigarette lighter w/usbplug to battery,plug in Bluetooth to amp and USB plug, attach solar panel to top of cooler, between cup holders , attach speaker wires and your ready to roll. Have made several for my sons college friends and they love them for tailgate. Also can add a dc power plug to the box for sla charger. Hope this helps,not fancy but cheap and it works.

Comment

I mount the Bluetooth module on the bottom of the WLAN box with Velcro for easy access to the switch

Comment

A leapai amp and 5 ah sla will fit in the box , kind of a tight squeeze but
                Will work if you happen to have one around

Comment

If you want to go really mobile- you can get a lined backpack cooler with a dta-1 amp( aa batteries), and make wolfs pc speakers (great speakers Wolf! ) using carlon 4x4x4 electrical boxes!build as per Wolfs instructions, pull the speakers out when you get settled and fire it up. Made this for my daughter because she wanted something smaller. Works well. Just put amp and speakers in outside pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by nelagator View Post
                    An easy way to do this is to get an igloo ice cube wheeled cooler (27$ at SAMs), mount decent patio speakers ( Dayton 29$ on sale ?) forward of the handles on the side. Get an outdoor WLAN
                    Box (11$ on amazon) mount on the back of the cooler. Get a dta-2 amp module, 5 ah sla battery
                    ,Bluetooth module (the white plastic one parts express),a cigarette lighter plug,USB charger plug for cigarette lighter,can also use a solar 12 volt trickle charger to help keep battery charged ( 12$
                    Harbor freight).mount dta-2 in box,attach amp, trickle charger and cigarette lighter w/usbplug to battery,plug in Bluetooth to amp and USB plug, attach solar panel to top of cooler, between cup holders , attach speaker wires and your ready to roll. Have made several for my sons college friends and they love them for tailgate. Also can add a dc pore plug to the box for sla charger. Hope this helps,not fancy but cheap and it works.
                    Do you have any pic's of this?

Comment

Kids left for college, will have them send me pics and will post

Comment

I built one. Look at motorboatyourself.com thats all these people do is build these things and all the info you will ever need is in their forums.

Comment

Ya I saw this but its not what I am looking for. I would still want to put beer in the coolers. It also seems like you dont need a cooler at all. Just make a box in place of the cooler. Thank you for trying to help me though.

Comment

Well I built mine so it still holds beer. Alot put speakers in it and use a big lunchbox type cooler and put it inside the cooler for their drinks.

Comment

I'd build up the lid and install everything there. Cut into the lid, install some wood braces and build a box on top of and attached to the lid, maybe 6" tall and spanning the area of the lid. That's your speaker box and electrical housing all in one.

That way you'd still be able to use the cooler as a cooler and not have to worry about water frying your components and/or ruining your speakers. With a Lepai TA2020 or a DTA-2 module you will get extended battery life with a smallish 12v SLA battery. You could incorporate a MP3 module with a 5v regulator circuit and have a way to play memory sticks and charge your ipod/phone. Here's a decent PE video of a different project that uses some of these parts. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-652 You could also just wire in an auto cell phone charger that has a USB port, like THIS ONE, if all you need is a USB charging port.

Be prepared to deal with short battery life if you choose too small of a battery pack. IMO, this is the toughest part of a portable radio build. I'd not go smaller than a 12v 7ah SLA for your power source if using a TA2020 or DTA-2.

Also aim for sensitive speakers ~ 90db sensitivity or higher, so you can go louder with less current draw.

I can imagine some pretty creative ways to build a fiberglass enclosure into a reinforced cooler lid to house this stuff. If you build it, please post pics.
                              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Working...
                              X