Bugs -1, Painter-0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugs -1, Painter-0

I typically paint in the summer when I have time free from work and the weather is warm enough to work in the garage. Because the garage is not ventilated, I have to open the garage doors to clear the overspray and fumes.

Wet paint and an open garage door apparently invite a little competition from the local insect population...

Naturally I don't like it much, but it's all part of the game. I try not to get my blood pressure too high because of it. I just let it dry, sand, and repaint.

Still, does anyone have a strategy for discouraging insects?

I wish I could paint in autumn after a freeze kills most of the bugs, or on nice days in spring before bugs emerge, but I usually can't find the time in those seasons because of work commitments.
    Bill Schneider
    -+-+-+-+-
    www.afterness.com/audio

Re: Bugs -1, Painter-0

If these are overhead doors, how about just opening them partially and using a screen "skirt" to keep the bugs out? HVLP and/or a temporary booth can help with over spray. My booth is plastic drop cloths tacked to the ceiling. Fans can help with ventilation when directed / deflected. One doesn't need a lot of air flow to clear the fumes.

Fumes can be minimized by your paint choices.

IME painting for us amateurs always involves compromise. I'm betting that in your location spring or autumn would substitute wind/dust/pollen for bugs.
    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
    OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
    Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
    Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
    Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
    LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

In summer out here it's tiny gnats that love my acrylic clear coat. Typically it dries to touch in 10 minutes so there's not much time for the little buggers to stick <groan> .

Some of the car hobby-painters out here build a window screen cage to spray in. Does cut down on some of the overspray too. Maybe some kind of knock down frame? Or something that you can hang from your garage door?
      Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
      "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
      Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Harbor Freight has the double garage screen doors for not very much money.
        Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

I went to HF to look at the garage door screens, and they had this nifty item thumbnailed beside it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_11241.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1143150

An electric flyswatter! Will wonders never cease?

I also saw something else interesting - a high-frequency pest repeller. It probably also is too good to be true, but something like that would be a straightforward project for a speaker builder to design from spare parts.

It sounds like some sort of screen would work best, but I need fast set-up and tear down of the screen. With the door partially down and a screen skirt, I could also place a window fan on one corner to exhaust air, and fresh air would be drawn through the screen.

FWIW, I got an early start this morning, and no bugs! Either I got lucky, or my timing was better.
          Bill Schneider
          -+-+-+-+-
          www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

You can take those apart and make low level tasers out of them haha

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
            return to the source
            leviathan system thread
            deadhorse thread
            shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

there is a product called Yard Guard. very good stuff. kills bugs dead, for hours. then they come back as zombie bugs, sometimes. :eek: your on your own dealing with the zombies bugs. :D
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
                It sounds like some sort of screen would work best, but I need fast set-up and tear down of the screen. With the door partially down and a screen skirt, I could also place a window fan on one corner to exhaust air, and fresh air would be drawn through the screen.
                Don't forget that with the door partially open, the top is open too! As the door goes up, it rolls away from the opening and there is a large gap. A screen on the bottom won't do much good if there's a half panel size opening on the top side too... ;)

All the way open with a screen from Harbor Freight is probably the easiest method I can think of. Put the box fan on the outside of the screen (right against it), so it sucks the air (fumes) through the screen. This works much better than the fan inside blowing at the screen from the inside.
                SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
                Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
                SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
                SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

Working...
                X