Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend a spray gun + air compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend a spray gun + air compressor?

I'm about to paint some fairly large speakers this weekend and I don't really want to paint another pair of speakers with spray cans. It's a paint in the ***.

Can anyone link me some decent mid level spray gun and air compressor? Maybe from home depot, lowes, or ace.

Re: Can anyone recommend a spray gun + air compressor?

I,d suggest going with a HVLP system with a turbine instead of compressor. There are
    many systems in all price levels, obviously mo money, mo better. What's the budget?
    I have a Fuji 4 stage going strong 15yrs. about $800 nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
      I,d suggest going with a HVLP system with a turbine instead of compressor. There are
      many systems in all price levels, obviously mo money, mo better. What's the budget?
      I have a Fuji 4 stage going strong 15yrs. about $800 nowadays.
      Wow, I'm actually looking for something around $300.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion916 View Post
        I've heard good things about this one- http://www.amazon.com/Earlex-HV5500-.../dp/B004RGOKR2
        I've never used it myself though, I have an older than dirt Graco HVLP system; so do some research. I know they sell them at Woodcraft as well for around the same price, so if you have a local Woodcraft you could go there and ask them questions about it and check it out. Hope that helps!
        "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
        "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

i have a husky one quart sprayer which works well enough for little projects, wouldn't try something big with it though. separate compressor, i use my porter cable pancake with it, sometimes hd has these for sale with finish nailer/brad nailer/stapler combos might be worth it for a little extra coin

Comment

Can anyone link me some decent mid level spray gun and air compressor? Maybe from home depot, lowes, or ace.
            Whatever's on sale, you don't need a huge compressor capacity to run a spray gun. Or a brad nailer either, which you'll find you use a lot more than a sprayer. In a package you should be able to get all for $150 or less.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

After you choose a gun, get a compressor that can supply enough air to run it properly.
              Or get a compressor and try and find a good gun that will match, this is the difficult way to do it.

Harbor Freight sells a small gun that is based on an older high end pro gun that usually works as well at about 1/100th the price. Search and you will find, I can't recall the number.

Lowes and etc. sell whatever they can put their name on for the least money. You never know what it is except it comes from China and is a knock off of someone elses gun.

I like Asturo guns, any of their guns that meet your spray requirements would be a good choice imo. A little more money than the cheap guns but quality is consistently very high and parts are available.

Another good choice is Homestead Finishing. Anything Jeff sells is pretty good for the money. He offers a wide range of price points.

Some notes on guns and air.
              HVLP and HTE guns come in all sizes, from touch-up to full size. Good ones use lots of air, even the touch-up models. This means a bigger compressor. Really big compressors for a full size gun (over 12cfm @ ~45psi). If the gun uses less air than that it isn't really a HVLP or HTE gun and you won't get the efficiency or reduced overspray.

LVLP have some of the desirable spray characteristics of the HVLP and HTE guns but use less air. They also won't lay down as much paint or spray the full range of materials but are about perfect for speaker cabinets using most ordinary spray materials, especially in a DIY setting. You can get models that will run on very small compressors (3-6cfm @ ~40psi).

Oil-less compressors are cheap and loud, very loud. Try for an oil bath model. They cost a little more but you and your neighbors will probably appreciate it. So will your paint, they don't run near as hot as the oil-less models. If you maintain the oil they last a very long time and are usually inexpensive to maintain.
              Husky and Kobalt are ok. Porter Cable is better. Sears even sells decent compressors. All should be locally available.

I'm about to paint some fairly large speakers this weekend and I don't really want to paint another pair of speakers with spray cans. It's a paint in the ***.

~99%
              Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
              Make me a poster of an old rodeo
              Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
              To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

As with any tool purchase, get the best you can posssably afford. You will usualy alway wish you had gotten at least the next one up. At your price point I would go with a good conventional gun. At least a Binks
                http://www.amazon.com/Binks-Conventi...inks+spray+gun
                or comprable.
                I've used this one for over 30 years and it's still fantastic. http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...%207%20Gun.htm
                I'v also had this HVLP for about 10 yrs and it is the cats meow. Especialy with enamals and laquers.
                http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-1035-St...p+spray+system
                You'll want to buy on line or try automotive paint supply stores if time is more of an issue than cash.
                Good luck,
                David
                Photos of projects and stuff
                http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz109/davidc549/
                My furniture web site.
                http://www.crewesfurniture.com/
                My gallery web site (Still trying to get that going)
                http://area61onmain.com/

Comment

Like I said they have all different price levels, mine is an industrial unit that you don't need.
                  That said, I believe for the $$$ you are better off investing in HVLP as opposed to the
                  compressor unless you need a compressor for other things(air tools, tires, raft's,inflatable freinds).

Comment

For what it's worth, this is what I used at 30 psi with a regular 6 gallon home grade compressor to spray dye stain on a horn. The motor turned on once every 5 minutes, an added plus

http://www.amazon.com/Critter-Spray-.../dp/B00006FRPJ .

Locally, I think woodcraft and rockler carry something similar
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (7).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	1143263

Comment

IMO unless you are planning on spraying lacquer or shellac, skip the air compressor and use the foam roller. With high quality oil based paint from a real paint store you can get a very good finish without the mess, prep, and clean up time.

If this your first time behind a gun there’s a learning curve to consider.

I use the Harbor freight HVLP + air compressor + an extra air tank with a 2 Hp oil-less compressor. I grew up with the cast iron recip oil air compressor and learn quickly what fish eye was. The oil-less is cheap portable and well, oil-less.

Google painting your car with a foam roller or Rustoleum paint job to see some great finishes without a spray gun.
                      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
                      X