Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackle in RS180s

Hello,

I finished up my build on the Amigas a couple of weeks ago and today for the first time I noticed a crackle sound in one of the RS180's. The only thing that changed from yesterday is I velcroed the the crossovers to the bottom of the box (I made them 36" tall and put in a false floor so I had access from underneath). I thought maybe I messed up one of the connections on the crossover, but the sound can really only be heard with bass notes and it gets louder the louder the bass (depending on fs) which makes me think it's something mechanical. The sound is a crackle, like a distortion or a rattle. My first guess was maybe the speaker wire had gotten up behind the cone and was rubbing it when the cone moved. I took the speaker out and from what I can tell everything looks sound. I put my ear next to the driver and the sound is coming from there, so I know it's not something vibrating in the box. Any ideas what the problem is?

Bruce

Re: Crackle in RS180s

The same thing happened to my RS270's. Some people said the former could have become unglued. Luckily, my speakers stopped doing that, all by themselves after a while. I never knew what happened.
    Line Array: IDS-25 Clone, FE-83.
    2-2.5 Way:
    Zaph Audio's winning entry: ZA5+SB29. - Microliths: RS125+RS28. - Small Bangs: TB W4-1658SB+SEAS 27TBFC/G. - Monoliths: Peerless 830884+SEAS 27TBFC/G.
    3-3.5 Way:Miniliths: SEAS P21/CA21REX+Neo8 PDR+Neo3 PDR. - Megaliths: 2xDayton RS270+2xT-B W4-1337SB+SB29. - ZDT3.5 +: 2xDayton RS180+Dayton RS52+Vifa DQ25. Reflexos: OB 4xDayton RS150 + Neo3 PDR.

Comment

What is a former? and was there a magical dance or song played to make your's stop?

Comment

The RS180's are a phase plug design, making the voice coil gap acessible. It's possible that some contamination got into the gap. Palpate the cone manually in and out, listening for a scratching sound. If you hear one, perhaps it's contamination, not a voice coil distortion. Best idea I've heard is to aim the speaker down, so gravity is on your side, and run a bass-heavy signal to see if you can dislodge it with cone motion and gravity.

If it stops doing it, probably contamination.

HAve fun,
        Frank

Comment

Another thing I'd wonder about it if it's possibly air leaking past the gasket and the driver. On the levs I had a small air leak that until I fixed it sounded like a rattling wire against the cone that would get progressively louder the louder the speaker was played.

Take it easy
          Jay
          "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
          Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
          Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
          Levitation TM
          - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

I think that was it! Any way I can make sure the contamination is good and out and wont lodge itself back into place?

Comment

If ya fixed it,,, than it's fixed! If it ain't broke,,,, don't fix it again!

Comment

from what I have experienced with Dayton RS drivers, it's the glue joint between the voice coil former and the diaphragm. Had these exact symptoms with 3 or 4 RS drivers.
                http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

That's where the RS125-4 failed on the drivers I initially had in the Stance's. Ask Matt what 'In the Air Tonight' done lossless from Mobile-Fidelity does to a woofer when the drum line hits...

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks guys... it appears it was something in the gap. A big relief that I don't have to spend 40 bucks for a new one. They've sounded fine since I tried fbov's suggestion. Now to work on the grilles to keep them safe from the kids.

Comment

Glad to hear you're back to enjoying them!
                      Frank

Comment

Working...
                      X