The Foundation Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Foundation Shifter

Alright, so I picked up a JBL 2242H off of Craigslist, and I've made my way into a little bit of money now.

The million dollar question: Can I put this sucker in a Tapped-horn box and break things? Or would I be better of in a ported encl?

Let me know what you guys think. It would be for HT use. I know it's overkill, that's the whole point.

Re: The Foundation Shifter

I don't know of anyone who has put it in a TH ( or how it models in a TH for that matter ).
    I do know how they sound in a ported cab used in a "A" touring PA system :D :D
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

How does it sound? I'm in the process of reconing it, so I haven't gotten to see it flex. I got it never used w/ a bad VC for $10. No joke. Never been mounted, just wire snapped off in the VC. I don't know why the idiot didn't just take it to JBL and have them replace it, but that's his loss.

Comment

Pushed by a Crown Macro Tech it was part of a system that operated for over 8 years for crowds as large as 10,000+ for bands like Kentucky Headhunters. Strong, Tight, Reliable Bass
        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
          Pushed by a Crown Macro Tech it was part of a system that operated for over 8 years for crowds as large as 10,000+ for bands like Kentucky Headhunters. Strong, Tight, Reliable Bass
          I'm getting giddy. Haha.
          Should I do the full cone replacement myself @ ~$130, or take it to JBL and have them do it for ~$300. If I take it to JBL I'll have to do ported since it will be a good bit cheaper than the tapped horn.

Comment

If you haven't done reconing before, I'm not sure I'd recommend doing it to this driver as a first time experience.
            ( But I don't know your skill set )
            I'm sure you can find other reconing services besides JBL ( I believe PE does them )
            BTW I 'm bout' 3hrs South in "Hooneyland" - Mtown is a lot of fun. Some friends will be touring and playing "123" in Nov.

Also you may want to inquire on DIYudio to see if anyone has looked at that driver ( in a horn config. )

Comment

Originally posted by fakeout
              I wish I could use The Big Lebowski' tone of voice when saying this but I read at diyaudio that some guy had damaged his house with 14hz sound waves. "Eeeeeh, maybe that's not such a good idea, man." lol
              It's a rental house and my landlord is a less-than-favorable human being. I'm not terribly worried about it. Chances are the only time I'd ever push this sub at all would be when my ladyfriend is out of the house. More correctly with this sub, it would be when my lady friend isn't within a 1/4mile radius.

Sydney: PE DOES THEM! It's only ~$150 through PE, + Shipping, and I trust their service well beyond the JBL dealer closest to me. It would save me a good bit of cash and time too, which is awesome. Thanks for the tip, I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Comment

I don't know why I didn't think of that.
                LOL I'm constantly ( accidentally ) clicking on the link
                I know a band that use 2 2245 in their practice area ( 20 x 60 ).
                Granted these drivers were intended for Pro Sound not H.T. as such their design intent was not optimized for extended LF response < 20Hz of a "typical" HT woofer.
                Note the JBL lit says that is down @ 35Hz and usable to 25Hz; some might submit that it a driver that traded a lower sensitivity for a lower Fs might be better suited.
                However that 18 has 9mm of Xmax so it won't run out of displacement and still should be usable, especially considering the price. It's a monster
                ( I was given 2 JBL 12's and a 15 that required only minor repair of "Roadie-Rash" )

Comment

Check over at AVS. There are a lot of guys building them over there. Someone will crunch the numbers for you.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                  X