Possible project with 1960s RCA 12s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible project with 1960s RCA 12s

Hi guys. Anyone have experience with these 12" drivers from 1960s RCA Victor console stereos? I recently purchased the console for $25, but it needs work, so I was thinking about using these drivers in a separate project. They have a surprising amount of bass response considering they have almost no excusion capabilities and were mounted in what was essentially an open-back cabinet. I'm not sure what the specs are, and I don't own a driver tester yet. Thanks for any info.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2395.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1182009
    Eric L.

Re: Possible project with 1960s RCA 12s

Do you live near anyone with a woofer tester? Without the T/S parameters, can't really tell you anything solid. Maybe one of the DIY shows coming up is in your neck of the woods.
    Mike
    "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
    My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

Google "LIMP JIG" - you can make one pretty cheap and get ZMA and T/S params using LIMP.
      Some guys (Lynn Olsen, IIRC) say that the old Alnico speakers sound the best.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Zenith put some good speakers into some of their consoles in the 60's, and so did Magnavox. A lot of both were old toobey amps so the speakers had to be efficient. RCA made some really good stuff in the 60's too, then they started downhill. The "classic" Wharfdale's were Alnico's.

Comment

Working...
        X